New challenges?

Started by piranha, April 07, 2017, 08:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

So see how long you can survive ! Also note war beasts are still allowed. I've done this, you need well over 100 herbal medicine to last until the next harvest.

Devilstrand minimizes limb loss in melee before you can get power armor for everyone. My highscore is 453 devilstrand in Fall 5500, temperate forest, on rich soil, harvest prematurely as temperature is dropping towards -10*C (when plants die). Lost Tribe, two average researchers to research Devilstrand early, one skill 8 grower. The grower reached skill 10 before it was researched by planting other needed things, healroot, rice, potatoes, cotton. Lost Tribe is also good because tribal backgrounds disable few jobs and often get +Melee bonuses.
If you want to do Crashlanded instead, plant cotton and save synthread jackets for raids. They have good 1.3 Sharp damage multiplier, nearly as good as devilstrand.

Sola

Deadfall traps make melee more tolerable.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

piranha

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 13, 2017, 01:49:46 PM
So see how long you can survive ! Also note war beasts are still allowed. I've done this, you need well over 100 herbal medicine to last until the next harvest.

Devilstrand minimizes limb loss in melee before you can get power armor for everyone. My highscore is 453 devilstrand in Fall 5500, temperate forest, on rich soil, harvest prematurely as temperature is dropping towards -10*C (when plants die). Lost Tribe, two average researchers to research Devilstrand early, one skill 8 grower. The grower reached skill 10 before it was researched by planting other needed things, healroot, rice, potatoes, cotton. Lost Tribe is also good because tribal backgrounds disable few jobs and often get +Melee bonuses.
If you want to do Crashlanded instead, plant cotton and save synthread jackets for raids. They have good 1.3 Sharp damage multiplier, nearly as good as devilstrand.

ok, started a lost tribe yesterday (cassandra extreme), the first year went well, but now the fun begins ;)
colonist setup is totaly not optimal, 2 alcohol addicted, only lvl 5 farmer... they all gonna die :)
and i wish there would be an option to assign hunting with melee weapons..

b0rsuk

Thrumbo horns make decent melee weapons. Good luck!

t3ff13

Have you tried extreme heat? Set the temperature to the highest setting and land somewhere with an average temperature 180F+, it's kind of challenging.

blub01

2 person colony, no recruits.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

piranha

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 14, 2017, 11:29:48 AM
Thrumbo horns make decent melee weapons. Good luck!

Well.. challenge came to an abrupt end on winter 5001 when an infestion hit me totaly unprepared.. it took only seconds for them to wipe me out..
Everything else went pretty well, lots of food, medicine, even melee only combat was not as hard as i thought it would be, except those mechanoids..

Currently thinking of restarting again or resuming a save before infestion, because that ending was so stupid ;)

Quote from: t3ff13 on April 17, 2017, 03:28:28 PM
Have you tried extreme heat? Set the temperature to the highest setting and land somewhere with an average temperature 180F+, it's kind of challenging.

Yes, did all kind of extreme temperature scenarios. They are always challenging, but you get used to it.

Quote from: blub01 on April 17, 2017, 04:35:16 PM
2 person colony, no recruits.

One of my first ones ;) Not too hard unless you get too wealthy.
But looking forward for the next patch when finaly people can heal themselves so i can play my favourite setting: just one colonist with his dog, starting with nothing and dying with nothing :)

Shurp

Quote from: piranha on April 18, 2017, 06:08:51 AM
Well.. challenge came to an abrupt end on winter 5001 when an infestion hit me totaly unprepared.. it took only seconds for them to wipe me out..

Maybe the melee challenge should permit all grenade types -- that way you can lob Molotov cocktails at the insects and run.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

piranha

Quote from: Shurp on April 18, 2017, 07:33:20 AM
Quote from: piranha on April 18, 2017, 06:08:51 AM

Maybe the melee challenge should permit all grenade types -- that way you can lob Molotov cocktails at the insects and run.

I guess i should have researched the explosive traps for this situation, they might have helped..

b0rsuk

Building under overhead mountain is not mandatory. I assume you did that for extra challenge.

piranha

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 19, 2017, 07:56:29 AM
Building under overhead mountain is not mandatory. I assume you did that for extra challenge.

Ehm... nope.. i did it because of... extra stupidity ;)
It was just a small storage room i built into the mountain because it just suited well.. haven't thought of these disgusting bugs in that moment..

But i wonder how you managed to kill a Thumbo with melee only.. tried it 2 times, yeah, it was dead, but also two colonists and another two who lost most of their limbs.. maybe with power armor, but had no chance in early game..

keylocke

try beast master challenge.

your pawns are not allowed to attack, but you can tame animals who will do the attacking for you.

now go out and conquer the world with your minions (100% map generation). travel through different biomes collecting different animals.

i'll leave it up to you how to choose which animals to tame. (ie : a combo of boomrats + bears seem nice) send the bears to act as vanguard, then unleash the boomrats. mwahahahaha..

etc.. somewhere along that line.

piranha

Quote from: keylocke on April 19, 2017, 01:04:41 PM

your pawns are not allowed to attack, but you can tame animals who will do the attacking for you.

now go out and conquer the world with your minions (100% map generation). travel through different biomes collecting different animals.

i'll leave it up to you how to choose which animals to tame. (ie : a combo of boomrats + bears seem nice) send the bears to act as vanguard, then unleash the boomrats. mwahahahaha..

This sounds really interesting! Thanks, will try as soon as i got time :)

I edited the opening post and added a list of all the challenges mentioned here for reference.

Keep up posting your crazy ideas!

omally

Quote from: b0ersuk on April 19, 2017, 07:56:29 AM

Crazy idea indeed. Crazy fun that is! I can't wait to try it out as well.

Barazen

Make a pirate faction. Grow to sell drugs, only sell drugs and slaves. Balance relations with other factions and keep them neutral  (so you can still visit to sell stuff but they still raid you from time to time.)

Must steal food and cannot cultivate more then a weeks food for 5 pawns. (As pirates don't want to be farmers.)

Oh and here's the kickers,
1: you can make a compound but it must be styled like a town. Meaning mostly open air.

2: you must commit to a raid at least once a season, a raid may be on a town but traveling encounters also count (think of them as catching a caravan/ group off gaurd)

I feel that would be a good RP style challenge that allows enough freedom while denying a few of the most common tactics i've seen. Might try it myself.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.