(Succession Game) Hat Factory 2: Electric Boogaloo

Started by 2ToTheCubithPower, April 08, 2017, 11:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2ToTheCubithPower

Hat Factory 1: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31441.msg322865#msg322865
Unfortunately, I don't really have much from the second part of Hat Factory 1, but apparently a botched attempt at bear taming and Randy being an asshole were prominent factors.

A few key points were that a colonist names Greg became the last colonist standing, and managed to fend off a raider attack pretty much singlehandedly while the base burnt down around him thanks to molotovs. His cat was also pretty badass, since it killed a raider as well. Even while all of Greg's friends were dying or dead, even while everything he owned and loved burnt to ashes around him, Greg kept his cool. He never broke. Greg repelled the raiders and managed to put out the fire, just to succumb to his injuries and be downed in a hospital bed. With the only other living colonist at that point dying of blood loss and hypothermia outside, the season ended and the game was passed to me.

This was the map

I applaud the previous leader, UnfazedButDazed, for getting Greg through such hard times. Greg now has a special place in all of our hearts. The heavy burden of keeping such a war hero alive...

And he was promptly eaten by a wandering wolf.
Such is life in the rim.

With the death of Greg, Hat Factory became a thing of the past. However, we must not loose hope! We shall continue to carry on in Greg's spirit and create a new Hat Factory!

Which is why I'm here:

After hearing the sad-yet-inspiring tale of Greg, I ventured forth to go where no hat factory has gone before (since the first hat factory at least), to the Rim!

"Who did I take with me?" you wonder? Well, I'm glad you asked!

This is me

Yes, what a dashing fellow I am. My inner romantic got the better of me when I heard Greg's tale, and I just HAD to carry on the Gregorian Legacy. I'd consider myself a pretty well-rounded guy, though I am partial to the occasional ball-gag-and-whips-while-high-out-of-my-mind-on-all-the-drugs What can I say? I'm an adventurous guy, it's what brought me here.

But enough about me, I better introduce you to my compatriots.

This is Greg. No he is not THE Greg, but he soon may be, Randy forbid it all goes to shit. Greg comes from a long line of Gregs, Each of which have the ultimate goal of living up to the original Greg, and perhaps even succeeding where he fell short. Greg is an actor, often playing the role of Greg in movies about the original Hat Factory. He was the one who introduced me to the idea of founding a Hat Factory, so together, we set off on this adventure.

Finally, we come to the third member of our expedition: future ha-er, sheriff Allessia

Thankfully, Allessia is a pretty damn good shot, and good with her fists as well. To bad that's about all she's good for. However, neither Greg nor I have ever seen a real gun, much less fired one, so we need her. Allessia knows this, and she constantly holds it over our heads, refusing to lift a finger to help because if it weren't for her, we'd be dead within a week.

Yep, What a bitch.

And we can't forget my trusty warg Poison!

We (and by we, I mean I) move all of our valuables into a nearby structure and quickly shore it up with a roof and patching the holes in the walls. I consider it lucky we landed right next to such a usable structure. I quickly realize that I am the only one around here capable of hauling or cleaning anything. Gregory apparently considers that work beneath him, since he's always had staff waiting on his every beck and call, but at least he's willing to put in the hard labor of building while I am forced to do menial maid duties, lest our freeloader gets pissed off and leaves us out here defenseless. Such is life on the rim, I suppose.

This is what our current work setup is like. It feels like I have to do everything around here.

Once we get our little room squared away, I draft up plans for the actual compound we will be making

I figure the room we are currently staying in could make a fine dining room, and we could build a walk-in freezer to store food in right next to it with relative ease. Across from that, we'll build ourselves some apartment style housing. We can set up a few solar panels and eventually a wind turbine behind the diner, where they will have some protection thanks to the rock wall. We'll give ourselves more room to expand west if we need it, though I would like for our entire complex to be walled in, with the only entrance being through the swamp. I figure that the swamp will slow down anyone who has to wade through it, giving us plenty of time to shoot at them.

From there, Greg and I get to work. Allessia typically just watches or goes off to talk to animals or some shit. Ironically, Poison gets food poisoning from eating one of the animals Allessia shot for fun. One of the wild alpacas starts following Allessia around. Thanks Allessia. That's one more mouth to feed and mooch off of the guys who are actually working.

Suddenly, my walkie-talkie crackles to life

I agree to let him come. Worst-case scenario, we'll have someone else to haul, clean, and cut stone bricks while Greg and I get shit done.

Actually, that's not the worst case scenario, but shush. I don't want to think about that right now.

We see the man, whose name is Takuya, come running full speed at us through the trees. Behind him trudges a rather slow woman toting a gun. Greg and I retreat inside as soon as we see the gun, leaving Allessia alone to fight off this armed intruder.

This is, after all, literally the only reason we brought her along. After about thirty seconds of gunfire, the sounds of fighting cease, and we emerge from our little room to find Allessia with a slightly bloody foot, and the other guy absolutely riddled with bullets, including one straight through his eye socket. Allessia brags about how easy it was. It only took four shots to down the pirate, and she missed only 2 shots, even when the pirate was hiding behind trees. I can't help but feel a little impressed. Maybe Allessia won't become our first hat after all.

After a short chat with Takuya, I learn that he's a colony settler, and he's quite adept at growing. Better yet, he actually understands that slacking on the little things like cleaning and hauling isn't how you stay alive in the rim! Huzzah! We agree to both work on hauling and cleaning, so neither of us should get stuck doing one or the other all day long.

After we all calm down from the chaos, we get back to work. Takuya starts sowing seeds so we won't be reliant on wild berries. I continue bouncing between mining steel and cutting stone bricks, and Greg continues building. We've finished the freezer by this point and have moved on to building bedrooms. Allessia is starting to get fed up with all of us living in the dining room, yet continues to do nothing but dick around and shoot animals for fun. Everything but the furniture is being made out of stone. I have heard too many horror stories of entire colonies going up in flames to feel safe sleeping in a wooden building. Might as well sleep in a coffin.

This reasoning quickly pays off, as one of the power lines we laid down breaks. Sparks shot out everywhere, but with nothing flammable for them to fall on, all we got was a lamp going out and a surprising puff of smoke. All we had to do was lay down more cable, and we were good to go!

Speaking of faulty cable, neither Greg or I are very good at construction. Most of the stuff we make looks like the things we made in art class in daycare. Every night I lie in bed, I half expect the bed to collapse right under me. Of course, Allessia demands only the best things we build be put in her room, so we get stuck with our most hideous and cobbled together attempts at furniture for our rooms.

A few uneventful days pass and a group of traders pass by.

We sell the alpaca Allessia tamed, as well as the clothes from the dead pirate. In return, we buy out the merchant's stock of Penoxycycline. Since our defensive strategy is going to require we constantly be wading through a swamp, we want to make sure we don't get any diseases, and can properly treat them when they do occur.

Later that day, our fearless leader, Greg, proposes we name our settlement.

Life continues as usual for about a day before an alpaca attacks! Angered that we sold its friend into slavery, the beast comes charging straight for our home! Greg and I cower inside, hearing gunshots and the alpaca's screams of vengeance. Thankfully, Allessia once again proved her worth to us by taking the beast down before it got anywhere close.

Apparently, the sight of alpaca blood gets both Allessia and Greg feeling rather hot and heavy. Many jimmies were rustled, and one thing lead to another. Now we simply can't make her into a hat. Not only is she the only person around here who is good with guns, but to use her soft and supple flesh for cowboy hats would mean crossing Greg, which is not something I wish to do.

After a hard season's work organizing everything, I figure we're about well enough established to stop bossing everybody around. While the bedrooms aren't completely done yet, the planning for them has been completed. All that's left is to wrap up construction and pray our chairs don't collapse under our weight. Someone else can decide the fate of our great Hat Factory. For now, I'm just going to relax and stop stressing about ordering everybody around. Happy trails folks!

Spdskatr

SPRING
1st: Rise and shine! We need to get this power issue sorted. As soon as we finish our bedrooms. I'm in charge of the hospital.

Oh look, some pigs! I'll gladly take some. Just don't get the floor dirty.

2nd: Hey, look. It's those tribals. I thought they hated us. I guess they're not that aggressive...

He only has a pila to sell. Pass...

An escape pod crashed right down on our base. Now... strip their clothes first, then talk. Maybe I can use it as leverage.

Some pemmican crashed down as well. Maybe from the same ship?

And here we go again. A fresh ship chunk. We've got the whole lot, haven't we?

3rd: Kord, the woman we rescued, has joined our cause. A wise choice. Now let's get you dressed back.

*cutscene*
(whisper) Hey! Allessia! Over here! I have an idea for you. It seems that some of the colony have started to get a bit grumpy. I want you to hunt that little rat over there while I build a sarcophagus. Don't tell anyone...

Allessia: Here it is!
Ok. Hey everyone! I found a poor rat over here. He seems to have been bitten by some wolf. We need to give this rat a safe burial!

Cubith: Why bury a rat? And are those bullet holes? Spd, don't tell me you're lying.

Bah! My plan failed! At least Allessia and Greg are happy. They're planning on getting married.

*end cutscene*
At last, the bedrooms are finished. Now let's focus on the perimeter.

So, I had a chat with this Kord person. Turns out she's experienced with skilled labor. Let's see what you can do, Kord!

4th: Let's get our 5th bedroom up. We'll leave the rest of the space as an outdoor area.

This wind turbine is a disgrace. Let's clear out this area before we do anything.

Success! Greg got the 5th room built. Go rest Greg, you deserve it. This day has been rather peaceful actually. Hope I don't jinx it though...

5th: Oh! It's you, Charlon! What took you so long? So where is this ship hidden?

Oh... Ok, I might pass on that one.

Back to business. We need to get this wind turbine up and running.

Cubith, go and get some more steel from the vein over there.

Cubith: How much do we need?
I don't know how much we need, get as much as you can.
Allessia: Raid! Raid! Quickly, get into position!

Yup... I jinxed it. Oh well...
Greg: Oh my lord, he's got a heavy SMG! This is serious everyone, not like the last. I feel exposed.
Relax, Greg, you're behind a wall.

See? He's down. That wasn't so hard.

Greg: Easy for you to say.
Kord, you take the Heavy SMG, and put him in bed. We're gonna interrogate this guy.
6th: Hmm... I found traces of flake in his clothes. He has a fascination with chemicals. Should we recruit him?

Kord: His eyes have cataracts. Poor guy.
Well, I think we'll leave him there. Meanwhile, we need to build those sandbags. Although, I might improve Cubith's design a bit.

*Cutscene*
Greg: Hey, Wenzhe, it's me. Greg. I put the light in this room. Feel better yet?
Wenzhe: ...

Greg: Come on. Say something. We're not gonna kill you. Yet.
Wenzhe: ... This prison cell sucks. At least give me some flowers?
*Greg nods slowly*
Greg: Ok. I'll build one first thing tomorrow.
*End cutscene*

7th: Surprise! Did you order a fresh batch of flowers?

Wenzhe: Wow... You guys are really amazing!
Greg: How do you like your room now?
Wenzhe: It's pretty impressive. Thanks!
A heatwave's coming. I think we need passive cooling.
Allessia: Hey! You know I need a bench before I can do anything.
Let's build one. Meanwhile, get some coolers up.
Wenzhe is finally fully healed. Although he's a little hot. We all are. Let's focus on finishing our defenses.
*During the night*
Cubith: Raid! Raid! To the south! Both with guns!

The south side is hard to defend. And it looks like one of then has an incendiary launcher. We need to spread out!
I'll go scout them.
Kord: Look out!

*Incendiary bolt just misses me*
Wew! That was close. They're coming! It seems like they've split up. Cubith, you go follow him.

8th: Cubith: Aargh! They're setting our pigs on fire.

One of them's down! And the other's fleeing! We need to stop the fire the other person has caused!
Fire's down. Let's get some rest.
Cubith: Not so fast! A chinchilla has just gone mad! Kord! Get up! I'll cover you!

Kord: Dead. You got a little cut, Cubith.
9th: Allessia: All this time, you didn't realise there was a space refugee left stranded in this region for quite some time now. I saw her when I was out hunting.
What's their health status?

Extreme heatstroke, but no bleeding.
Hmm... seems rescuable. Strip them first, remember.
Greg: Uhh... It seems that Erisen has got up by herself. What should we do?
I'm not losing that precious hyperweave! We'll have to arrest her.

10th: Erisen's a pyromaniac who can't haul. We have to release her. We can't just recruit her and let her loose to set fire to things.

Cubith: Can't we turn her into a hat?
Not yet! Also, she's still young. Too little leather.
Cargo pods! To the north! Megasloth wool it seems.

11th: Cohen: Hey. Did anyone need help around here? I could be a part of your colony. I'm a green thumb who isn't affected by psychic phenomena.

Sure. Welcome! You'll be our grower.
Landry: Help! Help! I'm being chased by pirates!

Ugh... them again? I'll teach them a lesson. Come on over.
Landry: They were two people in personal shields. One wih a knife, the other with a gladius.

We'd better prepare for a good fight then. Everyone! To your positions!
Kord: Help! I'm being overwhelmed here- Erk!

Oh no, Kord's down. But at least they're fleeing now.
Cubith: Let's empty that stupid rat out of the sarcophagus and put Kord in.
Agreed.

Rest in peace Kord.
12th: Why are the stone blocks left indoors? They can be left outside without deteriorating. Let's put them in a zone outside.

13th: Everything is peaceful now. Time to focus on the northern defenses.

14th: Let's also floor our base up to make our rooms look better. Wenzhe can keep his flower patch.

Allessia and Greg are finally getting married! Don't mind me though, There's healroot needing to be harvested.

As we finish our harvests, we realise that Summer is coming. The toughest season of the year.
15th: Why do we have psychoid crops anyway? It's better to plant smokeleaf.

Oh look, piglets hatched. We'l soon have a pig farm up here. Our passive coller research is also finished.

Allessia: Beavers, in the north. This is going to be interesting.
Allessia: Annnd... they're all taken out. The trees are here to stay!

-End of Spring-
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Doraf

Captains log, first of spring, 5501. I, Doraf, will be commandeering Hat Factory for the coming season, I plan to increase Hat Factory's hat production by at least 100%.

Day 1:
Looking around I am very disappointed in our hat production. I built a second tailoring bench to get this show on the road.
I released the prisoner Von Shild, 99% recruitment difficulty and he is utter shit.
Cubith goes on an alcohol binge, he really has a problem, we should have a colony AA meeting.
Day 2:
Expanded the freezer since it was full to the brim. Need to store those animal corpses for that sweet, sweet, leather.
Also there is an eclipse.
Day 3:
A heat wave has hit the colony, everyone has cowboy hats so i'm not worried.
Flashstorm lit our crops on fire and destroyed most of our crop field.

Day 4:
Cubith got and infection on his nose due to burns, I am opting to amputate it.
Solarflare.
Day 5:
Nothing much, piglet got stoned on smokeleaf, worked on our new crafting room.
Day 6:
Built a geothermal generator because we were having power problems, mined a bunch of compacted machinery and steel.
Mechanoid raid, minigun, infernocannon, and syther. Greg lost his kidney to the syther. We took them out with minimum damage sustained.

Day 7:
Finished the new crafting room and moved the dining room into the old crafting room.
An exotic goods trader came by, I sold a bunch of random cloths and bought some glitterworld medicine and a bionic arm.
Day 8:
Killed a roaming thrumbo suffering no injuries.
Blue gave birth to Benji a husky puppy. :D
Cubith insulted Doraf which started a social fight. Doraf won of course.
Day 9:
Psychic drone targeting the males of the colony.
Day 10:
Alpha Beavers! Who wants a beaver hat!
Two Boomalopes self tamed.
Day 11:
Manhunter pack of 9 Muffalo.
Used those two self tamed Boomalopes as improvised IED's against the Muffalo, it was super effective.

Day 12:
I gave the bionic arm to Doraf, who else is more deserving of it?
Day 13:
Two piggy gave birth one to triplets ♥.
Day 14:
Hex went on a food binge, what a fatty.
Day 15:
A wild bore went mad.

Captains log, fifteenth of spring, 5501. I have finished my task of managing Hat Factory through spring. I made more hats in 15 days than hatfactory has made in its entire life, so I would call my management successful. Goodbye for now Hat Factory.

Hats made: 74
A new RRR record.

Colony Overview.

Neotic

BRAIN-OVERLOAD