[A16-B18][MODLIST] Performance mods and other smaller mods

Started by Blas88, April 09, 2017, 06:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blas88

Quote from: OwenQuillion on November 23, 2017, 03:13:37 PM
Is there a legacy/A17 version of Tick Multithread?

No, and actually i should demote the Multithread mod to experimental until i sort out the thread syncronization errors.  :-\

Blas88

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 25, 2017, 09:54:28 AM
Would you mind making the source code for all your mods available?

Especially the multithreaded plant ticking is a big accomplishment, and having something like that open source would enable others to build upon it, or learn from it to apply to other areas. In addition, it would help other modders to isolate potential issues, and help make the mod even better.

Sure, i will upload them. But i will take a little more time with the Multithread mod before uploading, since the source is a mess now. I'm sorting out the thread syncronization errors then i make it available.  ;D

Blas88

Updated the Rot Tick Fix mod. It became a major performance increase in B18.  :)

kolto

A question about the Idle Fix:
Does it increase the check surroundings (thats what I read from the description) or does it completely remove it?

Blas88

Quote from: kolto on November 28, 2017, 06:13:57 AM
A question about the Idle Fix:
Does it increase the check surroundings (thats what I read from the description) or does it completely remove it?

When a pawn (human, animal, mech) goes through the possible jobs, the last one is the Idle_wait. When they do this job they search their surroundings for hostile target/fire every 4th frame. (to do this they, search the list with every in-game object which is costly) Normally they get firefighting job or attack job before they could enter the Idle job. I remove this check for the non-drafted colonists (drafted ones need the Idle firefighting in their surrounding) and for the animals. The only function that is lost by this remove is the untrained colony animals ability to attack adjacent hostile target while standing Idle. (if they get attacked they get an attack job too so they just cant start the fight. The trained animals get attack jobs while their master is drafted anyway. Neutral animals enter manhunter job when they turn hostile so they can always attack.)

Barky

Blass88 this multi-threaded mod of yours, is it expandable? Could you perhaps put 'fire' onto another thread, or something along those lines? I'm curious to see if we're just scratching the surface with this or not.
I'm not very good at this game.

Nightinggale

Quote from: Barky on November 28, 2017, 10:30:06 PM
Blass88 this multi-threaded mod of yours, is it expandable? Could you perhaps put 'fire' onto another thread, or something along those lines? I'm curious to see if we're just scratching the surface with this or not.
If you want to look at multi-threading and the potential, you should look at this thread https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35982.0. It would appear to be an attempt at going all out on multi-threading and is worth keeping an eye on.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Blas88

As i see, he uses the same approach as me. Yes, every job can be put on different threads, but need to think about the overhead and development time from doing so. (also need to think about that the game still constantly changing.) I started with the slowest job which is the plant growing.

equitime77

I saw this mod showcased on a recent Barky video. As I had a large map on peaceful with a load of farms on it which was very laggy I thought that I would try this out. I dont know what the fps was before this mod was put in (I can check if wanted) but afterwards zoomed in it was roughly around 20-30fps and was a lot less laggy. I could even move to a different place without having to pause! So thanks for your mods.

Blas88

Fixed the MultiThread mod's all known bug. ( like ghost filth, pathing errors, random anomalies etc.) Performance wise it should be between vanilla and the buggy version. Any feedback appreciated about performance, since i cant really test it on my PC.  ;D

Mst

QuoteNot compatible with mods that load asset with the TickLong method.

Can somebody please give an example of such mods or give a general explanation of what it is? I have no idea what it means.

TryB4Buy

kolto

Should these mods be loaded at the beginning of the modlist, right after Core?

Blas88

Quote from: kolto on December 10, 2017, 04:22:16 AM
Should these mods be loaded at the beginning of the modlist, right after Core?
Order probably doesnt matter. (if conflicting with a mod, then probably need to make a patch anyway)
But the best to put it at the bottom of the list.

Blas88

Quote from: Mst on December 07, 2017, 01:39:38 PM
QuoteNot compatible with mods that load asset with the TickLong method.

Can somebody please give an example of such mods or give a general explanation of what it is? I have no idea what it means.

I dont know exact mod, but its possible that a mod that adds new plants graphics to the game uses the same method as me, and need to do a compatibility patch.