[1.5] Star Wars - A RimWorld Series (4/8/2024)

Started by jecrell, April 09, 2017, 07:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AngleWyrm

Quote from: XenGrimm on April 27, 2017, 11:10:54 PM
It's tough to strike a balance when you're talking about a focused beam of pure energy that's supposed to be able to slice through nigh anything like butter.
My favorite way to look at balance is to imagine what it is competing with; what is in the other scale?

For example, if price is under consideration then the competition is what else could be bought for that price. Make those be equivalent, so that the player doesn't automatically prefer one over the other.

The balance is between what new is offered and what presently exists.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

SpaceDorf

I haven't tested any lower quality light sabres, but I think what is happening is a
exponential damage increase through crystal and quality modifiers.

The price for the Krayt Dragon Pearl was about 3-5k Silver, I don't remember I just bought it, because it was cool.
All Crystals cost the same at the moment.

With other Crystals the Damage of the Sabre was between 40-80 which means near instant kills for most bodyparts, even with armor.
I will craft some lower quality Sabres for comparison .. the question is .. like XenGrimm said .. how to balance an energy blade that cuts through everything ..

Another thing I noticed is that even "artificial" crystals have the same price, so the smelter becomes a money printer.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

XenGrimm

We just did a rebalancing pass on some of the crystals and stuff - but yeah - that Krayt pearl is basically one of -the- best saber crystals - legendary status-  so it's meant to be stonk.

More updates and fixes and work are ongoing!

RimworldOx

If someone wants balance they can play vanilla? If someone wants a lightsaber that could cut through Captain Americas shield, then they can download this mod.

XenGrimm

Balancing and fixing and making more additions!

Shameless self promotion! Nyahhhh!

stalenewport

With all 3 mods installed, for some reason I get swept by HUGE raids really early. I'm playing a scenario that starts me with 3 Jedi and 3 Lightsabers from the getgo, a sort of "New Jedi Temple" thing. On the same difficulty level as my main save (Rough Cassandra), where I would normally see about 10-20 pirates getting murderized in my killbox, instead I'm having 20-30 pirates overrun my tiny Jedi commune. I know lightsabers aren't cheap, but I did start myself out with crappy little basic ones, not even any fancy crystals. My total wealth isn't even over 10k on my Jedi save, while my main save's wealth is 6 figures and counting. I have quite a long list of mods installed but I've never experienced this problem before now. Going to start a new save on a lower difficulty and report back.

I'm also experiencing a problem with the faction portion of this mod wherein the game crashes on world generation. I can work around it by using Faction Discovery to activate the factions after generating the world though. Probably just a mod conflict of some kind, can't claim to know enough about XML or C# to have any clue what mods will and won't work together and why.

stalenewport

Problem seems to be worse than I thought, even mechanoid ship parts are spawning 5-10 Centipedes, along with a large accompaniment of scythers, to fight my 3 humble Jedi and their 2 apprentices. Still only 3 lightsabers, global colony value is under 20k.

XenGrimm

I'm not sure what could be causing you to get so overwhelmed - our mod really doesn't interact with raider spawns etc.

Try the same setup without the sabers? I suspect a 'points' value on the sabers is giving you the big raids (As opposed to the visible wealth value)

stalenewport

Is there a way I can manually adjust the points values of lightsabers? I get that they're powerful, but especially with Medieval Times installed where there is tons of armor designed specifically for melee combat, I don't find them to be so overpowered that I can handle a late game load of retainers with just 3 Jedi.

madd_mugsy

I decided to try loading these up with all my current mods, so I could get an idea of what would work and what I'd need to drop.

If anyone's interested, out of 235+ mods, the only one balking on loading is WM Smarter Food Selection, which throws the following error when loaded with the Force Powers mod:

[HugsLib] Smarter_Food_Selection caused an exception during OnDefsLoaded: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at WM.SmarterFoodSelection.ModCore.processDefs () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at WM.SmarterFoodSelection.ModCore.DefsLoaded () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at HugsLib.HugsLibController.OnDefsLoaded () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
Verse.Log:Error(String)
HugsLib.Utils.ModLogger:ReportException(Exception, String, Boolean, String)
HugsLib.HugsLibController:OnDefsLoaded()
HugsLib.HugsLibController:LoadReloadInitialize()
HugsLib.HugsLibController:Initalize()
HugsLib.Core.UnityProxyComponent:Start()

jecrell

Quote from: stalenewport on April 30, 2017, 04:06:05 AM
With all 3 mods installed, for some reason I get swept by HUGE raids really early. I'm playing a scenario that starts me with 3 Jedi and 3 Lightsabers from the getgo, a sort of "New Jedi Temple" thing. On the same difficulty level as my main save (Rough Cassandra), where I would normally see about 10-20 pirates getting murderized in my killbox, instead I'm having 20-30 pirates overrun my tiny Jedi commune. I know lightsabers aren't cheap, but I did start myself out with crappy little basic ones, not even any fancy crystals. My total wealth isn't even over 10k on my Jedi save, while my main save's wealth is 6 figures and counting. I have quite a long list of mods installed but I've never experienced this problem before now. Going to start a new save on a lower difficulty and report back.

I'm also experiencing a problem with the faction portion of this mod wherein the game crashes on world generation. I can work around it by using Faction Discovery to activate the factions after generating the world though. Probably just a mod conflict of some kind, can't claim to know enough about XML or C# to have any clue what mods will and won't work together and why.

In the last iteration of the mod, it was +120 points to your difficulty parameters per level of the force.

I'll shrink it down to +20. Let me know if there's a change.
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Dragoon

Would you add in gray Jedi? Although I don't know what that entails. Jedi who use all powers but are neutral or Jedi who fight for good using all powers?

nvm, I'm just a blind fool. :( I see there is already gray Jedi.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

stalenewport

In the last iteration of the mod, it was +120 points to your difficulty parameters per level of the force.

I'll shrink it down to +20. Let me know if there's a change.
Awesome! I will have to try it out tomorrow. I've been playing on whatever the level above Base Builder is since it started and threats have still been pretty huge. Other than this I love the mods, you guys are doing great work here. Almost feels like I'm playing KOTOR and Rimworld at the same time.

Dragoon

I have three questions.
1. Can people who do not have force power traits, become Jedi?

2. if we have Sith, Gray, and Jedi in the alignment, and we can change where that alignment does it make those traits obsolete? Like why not just have Force-sensitive apprentice, Force-sensitive Adept, and Force-sensitive master, then finally one with the force.
3. And on the same topic can we advance as force users? Like If we start as padawan can we eventually become a master?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

harrison

I made this after seeing this mod, love the concept. I realize it says "A Rimworld Story" as I somehow mixed up series and story haha but I can easily switch it. If you guys like this I'd be totally open to making more art for the mod and modifying this.
? x A?