Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

This thread is for discussing the blog post:

Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

It's just a quick update, but I thought y'all might have something to say :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Robb

Just a quick note on a typo...i believe you mean 'worth' not 'work' in 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence. other than that new player here and awesome game....Alpha 17 sounds great.

Edixo

You listened to my riverlands idea!

Does this mean that there will be rivers on the individual maps,  and that we can build bridges and such?

And absolutely fantastic that people can tend to their own wounds.
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

h_dog50

Ok since I'm first and this may be seen quickly I'd like to make a request. Ships. Make them really Tiring to make and complicated and maybe have events happen on the ship that you make so that you have to fix it or defend against pirates. Thanks for your time. I know this is complicated but with the implementation of rivers and maybe canals this might be fun maybe plan this for Alpha 18 or 19 because we don't want to break the programmers back

Tynan

Quote from: Robb on April 10, 2017, 07:56:22 PM
Just a quick note on a typo...i believe you mean 'worth' not 'work' in 2nd paragraph, 1st sentence. other than that new player here and awesome game....Alpha 17 sounds great.

Thanks! I fixed it.

Quote from: Edixo on April 10, 2017, 07:57:27 PM
Does this mean that there will be rivers on the individual maps,  and that we can build bridges and such?

Rivers will be in the local maps, yes.

You can't build bridges at the moment; considering that. The rivers are fordable at many places thought.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Edixo

Quote from: Tynan on April 10, 2017, 08:20:16 PM
Rivers will be in the local maps, yes.

You can't build bridges at the moment; considering that. The rivers are fordable at many places thought.
If you add bridges and the ability to expand rivers through digging ditches, that'd add a whole new level of base setup strategy.

Would a river running through a desert deposit soil on its banks to make an oasis? Like along the Nile river.

And, dare I ask,  fishing?

As of now, still absolutely amazing. Continous credit to you for making the most entertaining game I've played in years.

GideonHidolka

I can hardly use caravans now due to performance issues so the focus on them worries me some. In the fixes and refinement part of the update can we expect any performance and optimization enhancements? Thanks for the post Tynan and of course, thanks for Rimworld!.

CortexVortex08

With this redone AI base generation, does this mean that enemy bases are now self-sufficient?

Edixo

Quote from: GideonHidolka on April 10, 2017, 09:02:01 PM
I can hardly use caravans now due to performance issues
Wait what?

I'm playing on a 5 year old laptop with no graphics card,  and while I get a bit of lag, I can still easily play the game.

What kind of toaster are you using?

SurrealSadi

Seriously. I play on a not-current laptop, and while it complains at time, it runs pretty well. Caravans haven't yet been an issue.

lost_RD

It worries me that the community is so averse to updates that don't provide content.

Modders can add content pretty easily but it's more difficult for modders to fix bugs, change AI flaws and make performance improvements.

The early game doesn't suffer from these issues but late game is full of them.

Greep

Quote from: lost_RD on April 10, 2017, 09:52:32 PM
It worries me that the community is so averse to updates that don't provide content.

Modders can add content pretty easily but it's more difficult for modders to fix bugs, change AI flaws and make performance improvements.

The early game doesn't suffer from these issues but late game is full of them.

I'm pretty sure it's not that people don't want to wait, so much as having combined several thousand manhours in various modders' time eaten up in updates ;)

In any case, love the thought of rivers, hoping for fisherdwarvespawns :)

"People can tend their own wounds now!"

WHOO!
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Sjaa

I'm curious to see what the rivers will look like.  Will they freeze in Winter?  It'd be cool if the rivers sometimes go dry if they are sourced from mountains in the summer (no melt ice).  Neat anyhow on them being in the world and in local maps.

Is it difficult to change the planet's tilt?  I'm curious if the code for sunlight and latitude are hardcoded or can take into account different rotational axes.

lost_RD

Quote from: Greep on April 10, 2017, 09:57:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not that people don't want to wait, so much as having combined several thousand manhours in various modders' time eaten up in updates ;)

As a modder, I would rather do small updates more often than be stuck with a huge update that I have to slog through, so personally I would rather a performance update followed by a content update. I welcome the opinions of other modders on this issue though.

silenced

Based on man-hours, Alpha 17 will probably be the most substantial update yet. RimWorld has become quite a beast in terms of design complexity, so it does take a lot longer now to design and tune things so they integrate into the rest of the game well, don't overwhelm players with complexity, and don't create weird exploits or nonsensical outcomes.

Hehe, that's the very same reason why Dwarf Fortress will never see a "final 1.0" release.

The more you add the more you have to rethink most of the things you add.

But, keep on working, the results so far are beautiful.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ...