Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SyberSmoke

Quote from: canshow on April 20, 2017, 02:14:05 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on April 20, 2017, 02:33:46 AM
He thinks higher storage density would be bad for the game. The same for workbenches that only consume power when used, opportunistic hauling, and a couple of other things.
Maybe he caves in if 80% players use some kind of storage mod. I can see that happening, considering 25% of poll voters play vanilla. I regularly see Reddit posts like "Hi, I'm installing Rimworld, what mods should I be using". The Hivemind thinks Rimworld should be played modded.
There are already at least 3 mods for stockpiles that provide higher storage density with currently ~90k current subscribers between the three of them. So that's what, 15% of the user base already?

The storage system doesn't need to be high density all the time, but it needs to make sense. The current system has issues because you end up taking a ridiculous amount of space for weapons and apparel. Stockpiles, cabinets, and future containers (like farm silos for vegetables as an example) need to start looking at the volume and weight of items. A 2x1 weapon cabinet/locker should be able to hold a lot more than just 2 pistols, rifles, etc.. Have you ever been inside an armory before? Or even a gun store? In rimworld storing everything from a gun store the size of two classrooms would take at least a thousand cabinets occupying an area of several football fields.

So yes, storage needs to be looked at in a separate update, sooner rather than later preferably.

Good A17 update features though. I hope the modders are quick to adapt.

Condensing down certain things is a necessary process.  I mean hell just look at Chunks, the things that do not even stack.  One chunk that you need to make twenty blocks take up one square.  To make five hundred blocks, you need a five by five area or twenty five squares.  But stone blocks are a constantly used item...so you need even more.

A lot of things should have some form of storage.  Even if say chunk storage is a nine by nine think you build.  allowing it to hold a single type of stone but a fair amount of it.  Weapons are the same, we get so many as well as clothing.  Even with storage mods (I use one) my storage capacity gets overwhelmed easily.  It is a problem because it appears in the far future the people have forgotten what lockers, chests, and hangers are used for.

PLEASE oh great Tynan (gets down and prostrates before his feet) we need something better then having our food in the dirt and shelves that...well...kind of suck.  Please kind sir (frantic bowing) we desire a better way to store things.

khearn

I can understand not wanting quantum storage for balance sake, but when I eventually end up with more space used for storage than I have devoted to living space, I think it has gone a bit too far. I've got one room the size of an impressive bedroom, completely filled with little piles of silver on the floor. My leather storage has completely overflowed my butcher/tailor hall and I've had to create an overflow warehouse in my steel mine.

Can I please have some shelves?

Neotic

Quote from: khearn on April 25, 2017, 04:30:28 PM
I can understand not wanting quantum storage for balance sake, but when I eventually end up with more space used for storage than I have devoted to living space, I think it has gone a bit too far. I've got one room the size of an impressive bedroom, completely filled with little piles of silver on the floor. My leather storage has completely overflowed my butcher/tailor hall and I've had to create an overflow warehouse in my steel mine.

I would also like to see shelves or a better less space consuming form of storage
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Tynan

This indicates a problem in the late-game economy. There is no reason you should be storing 20,000 silver in this game. I need to rebalance the economy and/or add late-game money sinks and challenges.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

cmitc1

looks like a lot of cool stuff is coming =D scenario events are going to get a lot more interesting.

on the topic of shelves, or some kind of method storing, I wouldn't mind it. I always have more storage space then I do living spaces as well

now this may be a bit off topic, but will we ever see raids using animals? (maybe a new type of raid?) it would be terrifying to see raiders with pet bears charging in.

Neotic

Quote from: Tynan on April 25, 2017, 05:36:01 PM

This indicates a problem in the late-game economy. There is no reason you should be storing 20,000 silver in this game. I need to rebalance the economy and/or add late-game money sinks and challenges.
Pirate ransoms?
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

faltonico

Hmmm.... i'm playing the game wrong then, i have nearly 2 M cash Dx

Will you include that balance patch in A17 or should we expect it for another iteration?

And I'll ask again:
Quote from: faltonico on April 19, 2017, 10:18:46 PM
Can you tell which mods made it to A17 besides Rimkit? I'm guessing all of ZorbaTHut as well.

AngleWyrm

I eventually end up with more space used for storage than I have devoted to living space, I think it has gone a bit too far. I've got one room the size of an impressive bedroom, completely filled with little piles of silver on the floor. My leather storage has completely overflowed my butcher/tailor hall and I've had to create an overflow warehouse in my steel mine.

This reminds me of an aspect of every RPG ever made. The world designers throw little cookies around each corner to incentivize exploration of their beautiful work. Then the players become scavenger rats, feeling compelled to search for and pick up every little thing just in case they might need it later, or for another spin on the RNG wheel.

The FPS-RPG Borderlands poked fun at this compulsion by making it possible but unnecessary to rummage through trash cans and piles of monster dung for little gamble prizes.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

^BuGs^

This update is summed up into two words and a number: King Quest V

It's coming back in a more spectacular way!!!!

mabor0shi

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 25, 2017, 07:14:24 PM
... I need to rebalance the economy and/or add late-game money sinks and challenges.

This reminds me of an aspect of every RPG ever made. The world designers throw little cookies around each corner to incentivize exploration of their beautiful work. Then the players become scavenger rats, feeling compelled to search for and pick up every little thing just in case they might need it later, or for another spin on the RNG wheel.

The FPS-RPG Borderlands poked fun at this compulsion by making it possible but unnecessary to rummage through trash cans and piles of monster dung for little gamble prizes.
First of all, I always like pointless, but fun or slightly useful late game stuff to burn money on. Lots of good examples of that in Stardew Valley. It gives you a reason to keep playing and it's optional. Secondly, who told you that Borderlands trivia? I don't believe Gearbox made toilets, dumpsters, and feces lootable containers because they were trying to make a point ::) They did it because it makes sense in the Borderlands universe/setting and fits with the other juvenile humor. And wtf is "little gamble prizes"? PM me, cuz it's off topic.
TL;DR Please Tynan, do "add late-game money sinks and challenges". Purely decorative crap would be nice :)
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

AngleWyrm

Quote from: mabor0shi on April 25, 2017, 09:25:34 PM
...Who told you that Borderlands trivia? I don't believe Gearbox made toilets, dumpsters, and feces lootable containers because they were trying to make a point ::) They did it because it makes sense in the Borderlands universe/setting and fits with the other juvenile humor. And wtf is "little gamble prizes"? PM me, cuz it's off topic.

Hostility and denial.

Some people never reached that conclusion and likely spent their days on Pandora sifting through the refuse.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

XeoNovaDan

It'll be an interesting way to see how you tackle this, I quite like the sight of having masses of silver stored away in your storage room :P

My vanilla colony currently sits at something like 30k silver 7 years in xD

DariusWolfe

I think the problem of wealth amassing is because any viable colony is self-sufficient; you rarely need anything that you can't produce yourself. Even the things you can't produce yourself are luxuries, not necessities.

Now, I'm not suggesting that more things become impossible, or even harder, to produce. It just needs to be financially viable to buy things instead of making them yourself. Plus, most of the time when I do want something specific, I can't find a Tedder that's selling it (specific body parts, specific, hard-to-acquire materials, etc)

Hell, half the time I trade is to get rid of stuff, rather than to get anything.

O Negative

I'd like to reiterate the fact that making it impossible or harder for colonies to be self-sufficient is not a good solution to the problem of:
"People shouldn't be accumulating that much wealth in this game."
*Nevermind the fact that you can find giant veins of silver in mountainous areas, which can almost instantly make you filthy rich.

I already have ill feelings towards the idea that certain* objects shouldn't be producible by players and should have to be bought through trade.
*I understand not being able to produce things like psychic shock lances and other mechanoid loot
*I don't understand not being able to produce neutroamine or prosthetics/bionics

Trade is an amazing game mechanic which deserves appreciation. People should be able to benefit from it, at a cost, and use it as a tool to access things they can't get in their native biome/region. But, it shouldn't be forced on people as a necessary part of the game, even on the easiest settings. And that's another thing to take into account.

What difficulty are you balancing your ideas around? Should people playing on lower difficulties be accumulating this much wealth? If not, why? If so, what solutions are you willing to consider?

Anyways, I think the idea of shelving is interesting but unnecessary. No matter how you think about it, stuff takes up space. With enough stuff, you're going to run into real-estate issues; even with shelving. Increasing stack sizes and making more things stackable is a decent fix, in my opinion. I find apparel to be incredibly space hungry. You can't stack clothing, and it's necessary to keep a good amount of it around as it deteriorates over time.

Neotic

If being to wealthy late-game is becoming a problem why don't we just get more events that target wealth; some ideas would be, raiders disguised as a trade caravan, raiders that try to do as much damage as possible, raiders that aim straight for stock piles.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD