Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shentino

Will there be a way to delete abandoned bases, at least with dev tools?

Aerial

Quote from: O Negative on April 26, 2017, 03:49:26 PM
I'd like to reiterate the fact that making it impossible or harder for colonies to be self-sufficient is not a good solution to the problem of:
"People shouldn't be accumulating that much wealth in this game."
*Nevermind the fact that you can find giant veins of silver in mountainous areas, which can almost instantly make you filthy rich.

The only reason making it impossible for colonies to be self-sufficient is a poor solution is because we have no control over trade relationships.  If we could establish reliable trade relationships for the specific items the colony needs, and the price for those items made sense in terms of needing to produce something in surplus of what the colony needs in order to trade for it, then it would be a really good game mechanic. 

I have to admit, I'm one of those players that *loves* to be totally self-sufficient, but I recognize that it pretty much always leads to an empty late game.  What is there to do if you reach the point that your colony no longer needs anything or has anything to work towards?  (Besides start a new colony, of course.)

O Negative

Quote from: Aerial on April 27, 2017, 12:27:34 PM
The only reason making it impossible for colonies to be self-sufficient is a poor solution is because we have no control over trade relationships.  If we could establish reliable trade relationships for the specific items the colony needs, and the price for those items made sense in terms of needing to produce something in surplus of what the colony needs in order to trade for it, then it would be a really good game mechanic. 

I have to admit, I'm one of those players that *loves* to be totally self-sufficient, but I recognize that it pretty much always leads to an empty late game.  What is there to do if you reach the point that your colony no longer needs anything or has anything to work towards?  (Besides start a new colony, of course.)

I think that's something a lot of games and developers struggle with. The late game tends to be a drag if the player manages to set things up the right way. I agree with your points on trade. The trade system has already made huge strides compared to when it was first implemented. Yet, there's still so much potential! As is true with many of the game's mechanics. I just prefer to see trade as a way of making things easier on yourself (with some risk) as opposed to something that's absolutely necessary. That's all :)

In the past, I've advocated for a lot of mechanics that would make sense for an isolated colony (Pre A16). Now that the whole globe is here for the taking, I'm super stoked for other worldwide mechanics.

Awe

Quote from: Tynan on April 25, 2017, 05:36:01 PM

This indicates a problem in the late-game economy. There is no reason you should be storing 20,000 silver in this game. I need to rebalance the economy and/or add late-game money sinks and challenges.

Storing silver is really not a big problem, because u can store silver in statues - 6.5k just only for 4 squares.  :P

But to guarantee colony survivability we need to build ridiculously big food freezers just to survive somehow thru storytellers trolling like "toxic fallout for months, solar flare, blight, another solar flare and plague hits, of course, your farmers/doctors". So im really want a good way to store/organize at least food. Of course improvements in storing clothes/weapons also would be nice.  ::)

Modo44

Quote from: Tynan link=topic=31683.msg326990#msg326990
This indicates a problem in the late-game economy.
/quote]
No, it indicates that bases get exceedingly unmanageable the longer you survive. Not everyone plays with maximum challenge in mind. Large/old bases can become a mess because the game is designed with quick death in mind. Maybe it needs to account for not every colony dying within a couple of years.

Bakar

I assume you'll be adding a thirst system soon as you have now created rivers?
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Bakar on May 01, 2017, 08:43:42 AM
I assume you'll be adding a thirst system soon as you have now created rivers?

I think Tynan has already stated that he won't be adding thirst to RimWorld because he wants a balance between realism, and actual gameplay enjoyability - but I'm not 100% sure if I'm right on that. However, I'm sure a modder would be up to the task.

Phate777

Quote from: Tynan on April 11, 2017, 05:48:42 PM
Quote from: Sirportalez on April 11, 2017, 05:38:08 PM
Will there be some balancing to plant farming as well?

Yes, the crop cycle is longer. Longer growing times, bigger harvests to match.

Hunting should also be a bit harder now since animals flee.

However, foraging is now more viable since wild plants spawn differently and yield different amounts of food when harvested.

And as noted, raising meat animals is more viable.

Overall I've been trying to make all the food sources viable, and distinct. Crops are efficient but take time to come to fruition, hunting is faster but riskier, foraging works consistently but is a bit slow and you'll denude the local area pretty fast, meat animal raising is tougher than crops but you get the other benefits from animals, and meat allows making nice meals. And of course all this varies by biome and situation.

Oh oh! Now my useless Colonist have a more harder Time to hit their Target. Do you plan to implent a System where I can choose a targeting range for my colonists? They most of the time try to hunt a squirrel on max range with their pistol which is very inefficient.

asasdefs

man i love the work of you guys you're awesome that game is very good in all terms of quality <3

khearn

I'd like to second Phate777's suggestion of a way to choose targeting range for hunters. It's really annoying to have someone move to a range where he/she can barely hit the broad side of a barn and waste a bunch of time missing what should be an easy target.

I had an extreme case recently when my main hunter was a night owl. So she'd go out hunting at night and because the animals were all laying down (and in the dark, if that matters), she'd end up with hit chance below 3% most of the time. I had to constantly draft her, march her up to right next to the sleeping deer and tell her to shoot it with a 100% chance. Otherwise she'd spend all night trying to kill one sleeping animal.

Ok, maybe I wouldn't want her right next to something dangerous, but for mostly harmless stuff that almost never fights back, there's no point in being at extreme range. My current hunter has a pet elephant that accompanies him on hunting/taming trips, so I don't worry too much about animals that fight back. Jumbo's got his back, so I want him to get fairly close to get the job done quickly.

If animals are going to run away now, I definitely want my hunters to get closer before taking the first shot, or all they'll do is wound the animal and watch it run away. They will need to get close enough that they can take follow-up shots at a fleeing animal without it going out of range immediately, and with a reasonable chance to hit it.

klun

I really hope that this update actually works with modders giving a "beta" time or sometime ahead, maybe include some integration of "esential mods" like  a dog said, hospitality, camping/set up.
If u mean rivers perhaps there is any idea to add boats, fishing sea life or it's  just another lackcuster update and you plan to leave all the actual content for the mod scene? ... like the previous update if u are going to add  maps/caravans without adding tools to play with those new features then is a lazy update.

Game is great and all but no one cant deny that is mod dependant and the mods should add an extra layer of deep not the whole deep. just saying...

ja7833

Quote from: klun on May 02, 2017, 05:22:17 PM
Game is great and all but no one cant deny that is mod dependant and the mods should add an extra layer of deep not the whole deep. just saying...

I don't find the game mod dependant at all.  I've been playing since the pre-steam release without any mods and even in alpha I find RimWorld more entertaining than most games.
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Tynan

Statistically, the majority of RW players don't use any mods. They're just not the ones who talk online, so we don't hear from them here much.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mattp84

I had almost 250 hours under my belt before i ever even looked at mods, so id say there is more then enough content now that even without A17 most players should be good. The mods are just like toppings for a bowl of ice cream, making a great thing even better

klun

Quote from: ja7833 on May 02, 2017, 08:20:36 PM
Quote from: klun on May 02, 2017, 05:22:17 PM

I don't find the game mod dependant at all.  I've been playing since the pre-steam release without any mods and even in alpha I find RimWorld more entertaining than most games.

Good to know that some people can enjoy the game without mods.

For me the game it's a solid idea but needs a long road ahead, so the mods are the only reason  I haven't refund it

for example playing and receiving traders and guest without any tool to interact or achieve something like hospitality mod for example or exploring the map and send caravans without being able to hunt/camp or do anything on the way other than pack your  900 pieces of food for a 4 day trip