Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BugPowderDust

Thanks for the update, Tynan. Really looking forward to the 'quest' system and different AI Base layout. New AI behaviour is always welcome too

Tynan

I have removed some off-topic posts.

This thread is to discuss the update (and it's fine if there's not that much to say); for open-ended suggestions discussion please hit the Suggestions forum. Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

makkenhoff

I'd be glad to hear more water map elements, I'm also hopeful for fishing; but I'm excited to hear about potential bottlenecks we can exploit (not in a cheese sort of way) that aren't vulnerable to frag grenades.

Now, you mention people treating their own wounds - very excited to see that - it's one of the problems trying to play a 'lone wanderer/hermit type'.

I'm also excited about the potential balance changes with animals, inferred from animal meat comments. Right now, it is so hard to be a traditional farmer, even ignoring the raids.

The one thing that kind of stood out, was the turret line; not sure if that was intentional - are we talking a bunch of improvised turrets or maybe something new?

Might be cool to go hunting down obscure parts for a robotic companion or new turret type - so I'm loving the idea of a modular 'quest' system, even if that's not the direction you were thinking with it.

All in all, glad to see the update news. Thanks for taking the time, Tynan.

dogui

Tynan many thanks for all your wonderful work.
Two questions to calm my hype.

you talked about roads onto the map.
Could I ask you which are the benefit to tread them? walk faster? You think it would be possibile to build new roads too?

secondly
rivers:  it would be possibile to build rafts and sail in the future?

FrozenSnowFox

Have existing events been updated to use the world map properly?  Events like toxic fallout or volcanic winter should clearly affect large sections of the world map rather than a single tile.  Also do you have any plans to make manhunter packs or raids originate on the world map and require travelling to reach your colony?

cjthegod19

I am modder currently working on a revived combat realism called Woke realism, and i am now currently working on making the prone function work again but seeing as Tynan is adding on new features for alpha 17 it would be fantastic to see prone and crouching in the base game of course if that would be too much for you i will make it work in the mod but to see the base game get more in depth in its combat system would be cool so you could then utilize different heights of cover.

ChJees

This update make me excited. Maybe finally we have a reason to make caravans for non trading purposes. Global crisis events anyone :P ?

Shinzy

I'm really curious about how easily moddable (for the typical scrub tier modder like myself) will those 'quest sites' be

myfirstme

Sounds good, thanks for the update!

The thing about roads though, does that fit the Rimworld theme? Long-distance roads need to be built and maintained, workers protected, who does that? Doesn't that imply some sort of large-scale political control and/or corporation and not simply a bunch of semi-connected small settlements? This feeds into the question of course if the factions on the world map make sense as they are - scattered randomly around, with a faction having a settlements here and there and then thousands of miles away - how and why did they join up in this strange way? 

ShadowTani

Quoterebalancing and detailed redesign to make skills matter more

Looking forward to this, especially if the Research skill get some love, anything that makes it relevant for more than just one to a few colonists as well as still useful in the endgame would be rather welcome.

Suggestions in the past have delved into making the Research skill an Intellectual skill of various sorts rather than research specific only, like having a skill teaching system that also depend on it, but I suppose that might be a bit much to hope for this time around... >_<; A less elaborate system might be artifacts that sometimes get dropped from the sky that can be studied.

Either way, I'm definitively excited about the quest opportunities, sounds like a good incentive to get out there for those of us who have been hesitant about exploring the world much in A16, myself included.

As always, keep up the amazing work! If you ever run low on development funds, I'm going to throw my vote in for paid DLC's to keep things going (just saying). x3

XeoNovaDan

I'm really looking forward to this update like many others are; you can take all the time you need, as the community shall know that their 'lord and saviour' is going to be bestowing us with a great update to a great game which is gaining popularity. Some aspects of the skill system do feel weak as it stands, so the whole relevance improvement is going to be a big one to look forward to. The whole 'quest' system is an unexpected one, so I'm particularly intrigued in that one amongst all others. The AI improvement mentioned is definitely a much needed one, considering how many current exploits exist.

I'm hoping that self-healing will be much less potent than a doctor doing the tending (even if it's say the head doctor tending themselves), and proportional quality and time (compared to if they were to tend somebody else) is based on the scale of the injury they're tending (not sure how difficult/easy that'll be to code) - and I've realised this is almost veering off to a suggestion.

That said, on a less relevant note:

tynan plz with the repitition (or is it for effect?)

milon

He said in another post (see page 1) that rivers will be both on the world map and on the colony map.  So maybe that's what he was trying to say?

Monroyo

Hi there, on long game when you start to have a lot of people and animal, the game is getting slower and slower. Is there something that can be done to help. In my game,  it going to slow to keep playing it. Not sure if it a cpu  issue or something else.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Monroyo on April 11, 2017, 08:21:48 AM

This is a well-known issue and there's probably not going to be a true 'fix' for a very long time to come. You can check out this mod though which improves things. You shouldn't post that sort of stuff on this thread though as it's irrelevant.

Wishmaster

Is there any change related to food selection by different kind of pawns (prisoners, colonists, animals...). Will prisoners get feed with the worst available meals (for example) ?
And is there any changed regarding tending, healing, rescuing beside self-tending ?

I ask those questions as modder who wants to know if it is worth to update my current mods who changes those things