Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruisuki

Quote from: corestandeven on April 14, 2017, 06:29:18 AM
Looking forward to this. Along the same lines as oreganor will there be any improvements where it comes to the faction system in A17? Currently the faction system is rather undercooked at present, essentially other factions are your enemy or they are not. The relations numbers dont matter in reality, basically just whether they are red (hostile) or friendly (green). You can clearly make factions hate you by attacking them or capturing their people, but it is not easy to improve relations - and to be honest there is not much incentive to do so anyway. Given that there is a social skill for pawns it seems lacking that you cannot interact with visitors beyond attacking, capturing/rescuing members, or trading. Creating alliances and strong relationships with outsiders should surely matter just as much as attacking and defeating hostile ones, but there is no real reason or major benefits. 

On a similar topic, the relationships with other pawns also seems not quite what it could be at present. There should be an ability to at least get pawns to talk to other pawns in an attempt to settle differences. Maybe high social skill pawns could act as mediators/councilors? This then has the option of either making grievances worse, causing more fights and/or disruptive behavior, or patching things up if successful.

Linked to this, the only real way to get pawns to talk to each other is to force them to eat at the same time. Having a 'eat' option in the schedule planner along with joy, sleep etc so you can get pawns to eat together (or separate if they are unfriendly or anti-social) would be hopefully be a quick thing to implement.
I agree, diplomacy is lacking for factions, not enough interactions between them. Specially if a colonist has family ties to a leader or other type of leader in another faction. Hopefully now that we see the overworld expanding thats next on the agenda to start filling in all the new space thats opened up.

Larn

rivers sounds nice.... .BUT only if u can build bridges.... it would so nice. u dont have to go into woods or mountains if u can set your houses on water... *_*

hope so fishing will come too... that would be aweseome. :)

keylocke

i agree with the others who don't mind a longer wait.

bug fixes are fine, since each new alpha has a few bug fixes along with substantial new features anyway. (it's been like that since forever)

but it's those new features which decides how soon players would choose to update to latest alpha (at least until their fave mods also get updated to the new version)

there's been some really cool mods that add new features (redist heat, bad hygiene, industrial rollers, real fog of war, realistic darkness, minimap, fishing industry, vegetable garden, hospitality, etc) and it's like a balancing act for the player if new alpha vanilla mode would be exciting enough to forego all those cool mods (until they get updated as well)

b0rsuk

Rivers are probably implemented so that Tynan can implement Carp.

XeoNovaDan

Or sponges... maybe savagery will come next?
Capybaras might've also gotten a boost in A17 so that they're as aggressive as emus should be.

Maybe he'll even add horrible item-stealing bastards known as Kea which steal your MREs and starting weapons.... baaaah I hate them things. Perhaps even strange moods like in DF where a certain colonist (regardless of capabilities) will make a legendary quality item out of whatever (cloth longsword anyone), and become level 19 in that skill and possibly develop an interest/passion for it.

DNK

Yeah, animals stealing stuff (and invisible thieves) would be an awesome DF addition to RW.

Icarus

I need human meat!

Zebra, loner has begun the mysterious construction!

XeoNovaDan

Zebra, Longer has created Trogo, a human meat horses
Quote from: Icarus on April 16, 2017, 09:37:15 PM
I need human meat!

Zebra, loner has begun the mysterious construction!

Zebra, Longer has created Trogo, a human meat horseshoe pin!

SyberSmoke

Looking forward to more terrain options.  But I do hope that in the future you spectacular people can take a good long look at storing things?  I mean the racks are kind of meh...I mean something like that should be capable of say storing 6 pistols a side, 4 Survival Rifles, a bunch of shirts, and so on.  But they can store one item a side...kind of sad.

It would also be nice to have a better way to consolidate storing chunks.  I mean...they can be everywhere...and they impact your pawns.  So storing them is a thing.  Just my opinion, keep up the good work.

AnarchyOfAngels

Will doctors have a speed penalty if they work on their own wounds?
Союз нерушимый республик свободных
Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
Да здравствует созданный волей народов
Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

AnarchyOfAngels

Also, will there be any tweaks or modifications to the mental breaking system?
Союз нерушимый республик свободных
Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
Да здравствует созданный волей народов
Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

Ciel115

Thrilled to hear that keeping animals will be more useful! One of my favorite things about this game is the variety of wildlife and I'd love to keep tons of tamed animals, but currently they don't feel economical as food sources (except maybe chickens) or particularly useful for combat.

mabor0shi

Quote from: Ciel115 on April 17, 2017, 06:36:05 PM
Thrilled to hear that keeping animals will be more useful! One of my favorite things about this game is the variety of wildlife and I'd love to keep tons of tamed animals, but currently they don't feel economical as food sources (except maybe chickens) or particularly useful for combat.
Animals suck in combat. I'm hoping the improvements to "enemy" combat AI Tynan mentioned applies to animals. It probably just means he fixed a lot of RAIDer AI exploits, which is good. Did he already answer this question of what "enemy" means elsewhere?
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

jchavezriva

Quote from: AnarchyOfAngels on April 17, 2017, 04:43:03 PM
Also, will there be any tweaks or modifications to the mental breaking system?

It would be nice. Current mental breaks trigger ridiculously fast.

O Negative

I'm excited, to say the least.

I know this update won't include everything I've ever wanted in RimWorld, but that's okay :)

I already know I'll be more than happy to spend another 100+ hours playing the next update, as I have with each update since A6 :D