Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorHed

Sounds like it will be a great update :) Still no trains though !! haha

Vuelhering

Quotemake cannibalism a bit less ho-hum
Cannibalism should be a big deal, even worse if not starving and resorting to it solely as fuel. But after a season or so of it, would probably have less of an effect as the initial disgust by a non-cannibal.

Ruisuki

-First off, I love you Tynan. Second...where to even begin. This is a bigger leap than the last update?! I thought you opened up the world with a16, and thats not even counting the mod potential for that as well. A17 'missions' is probably gonna be like misc mod questing on a bigger scale. Soguuuud.

-Really interested in learning more about roads, rivers, and economy reworks! I also hope to see more diplomatic interactions available in the future...but maybe thats for A18 ya? lol. My grand wish is for eventual space travel ala FTL however. Though thats either A30 or a huge mod overhaul

-Has the caravan system been improved? So people dont collapse while filling it up? You cant manually sleep while loading or fill joy. To sleep i have to hurt the packer so i can force sleep on medicbed. Also if you cancel loading priority you have to repack all over again(worse for transport pods since they may not pick up the very same pile of cloth and instead choose the one across the map instead of one right next to pod) and your other colonists may remove packed items from muffalo/pack animals. Love the new additions and would honestly prefer to see more of the creative features announced than even fixes like this, just curious about where the future of what was added by A16 additions lies.

harpadarpa

Will there be any penalties for self tending wounds? I imagine it would be pretty difficult for even the best doctor to fix his own blown off nose. And how could we control who gets to self tend? Will it just work off of doctor order? If my second best doctor loses a leg or something, I want my number 1 doctor on it.
Shitposting to the max.

Greep

It sounded like just wound tending and not surgery.  That would be strange with the current anesthetic implementation.  Unless you just meant stopping the blown off nose bleed, nvm xD
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Ruisuki

Quote from: harpadarpa on April 12, 2017, 05:02:42 AM
Will there be any penalties for self tending wounds? I imagine it would be pretty difficult for even the best doctor to fix his own blown off nose. And how could we control who gets to self tend? Will it just work off of doctor order? If my second best doctor loses a leg or something, I want my number 1 doctor on it.
yeah i hope there is a penalty, slower tending maybe. i dont think self healing is gonna allow operations which i also agree with

b0rsuk

Will we be able to plan caravan routes before moving out ? How about a way to measure tile distance so I can make an informed decision if researching Transport Pods is a good idea ? Currently traveling to the friendly AI ship is a trial&error. It's especially hard with Permadeath on.

Will vehicles be in A17 or A18 ? It's obvious they will be implemented soon, otherwise why roads and rivers. Will there be pirate ships or boats raiding you ?

Does it mean there will be changes to the Melee skill ? It's pretty pointless right now. Raise it to level 5 or so and any further increases are marginal. Are you going to rearrange melee weapons - for example Spear is currently almost top melee weapon, both in damage and price, but really spears are the simplest weapons right after clubs and stones. You could switch stats between gladius and spear and that would make more sense. Also what happened to axes ? Why have 4 types of similar weapon (shiv, knife, gladius, longsword) but no axe ?

Will A17 add any new types of turrets ? Current ones can be pretty underwhelming.

Any new pieces of apparel ? Lab coats with cleanliness bonus, straightjacket so psychiatric patients have something nice to wear, skirts or tutus so colonists have a new source of apparel-related bad thoughts ?

Will there finally be a new type of mechanoid ? At present their raids are too binary.

Jarwy

Quote from: b0rsuk on April 12, 2017, 06:47:14 AM
Will vehicles be in A17 or A18 ? It's obvious they will be implemented soon, otherwise why roads and rivers. Will there be pirate ships or boats raiding you ?

I don't follow your logic. From the very start I have wondered; why not rivers, since they would be pretty normal on a world with seas. And roads simply come with civilized society. Where exactly is the hint that vehicles will be added?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Jarwy on April 12, 2017, 08:29:37 AM

I don't follow your logic. From the very start I have wondered; why not rivers, since they would be pretty normal on a world with seas. And roads simply come with civilized society. Where exactly is the hint that vehicles will be added?

Roads = Trade = Pulled Wagons
Carriages were developed before riding.

Remember the width of Modern Railways is still two roman horses
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

AngleWyrm

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on April 11, 2017, 06:04:02 PM
I am seeing this is shaping up to be a much more usable ... Dwarf Fortress
I Agree: The level of organization is of a higher quality, and that comes out in game-play as usable features.

Dwarf Fortress was a pioneer and deserves credit for that visionary work, but also suffered from its many forays into detail. Their efforts were devoted to width rather than depth, which came across as shallow fiddly bits.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

PerunPerunowy

IndustryStandard

Please for the love of god, if you are going to make hunting more difficult make it so my colonist doesn't take several hours to finish off the downed animal.

It shouldn't be hard to take 1 shot to the head at point blank.

Jarwy

Quote from: SpaceDorf on April 12, 2017, 08:52:20 AM

Technically not all railways the same width (Russia is special). ;) Anyway, if it would be just carriages and carts, I wouldn't even call those vehicles. Does the Rimworld engine even support actual vehicles, like boats or cars? Currently, even the bigger creatures still seem to occupy the same amount of space as a person.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Jarwy on April 12, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

Technically not all railways the same width (Russia is special). ;) Anyway, if it would be just carriages and carts, I wouldn't even call those vehicles. Does the Rimworld engine even support actual vehicles, like boats or cars? Currently, even the bigger creatures still seem to occupy the same amount of space as a person.

The Arbitration: Realistic Research modpack back in A13 (or A14) had motorized vehicles, and carts that could be pulled by those ATVs or pushed by hand. Carts IIRC allowed 4 tiles worth of inventory.

Ruisuki

Quote from: Jarwy on April 12, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

Yes....accuracy is piss poor. Really colonists should be able to be capable hunters with a shooting skill of 14