Official: New content in progress for Alpha 17

Started by Tynan, April 10, 2017, 07:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mabor0shi

Quote from: mattp84 on May 02, 2017, 09:03:05 PM
I had almost 250 hours under my belt before i ever even looked at mods, so id say there is more then enough content now that even without A17 most players should be good. The mods are just like toppings for a bowl of ice cream, making a great thing even better
I had almost the exact same experience and I agree. After hundreds of hours of vanilla RW, I started using tons of mods, which improved my RW experience for me. I even made one myself & attempted/failed to make several others. Some mods start to feel essential after a while, but none of them are. They don't need to be in vanilla RW, because they exist in an optional form. I love customization and options, which is what mods are for. Tynan has his ideal RW and we each have our ideal RW.
P.S. Thanks for having so many XMLs, Tynan. It makes this game much easier to mod than most.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Aerial

Quote from: klun on May 02, 2017, 10:25:16 PM
for example playing and receiving traders and guest without any tool to interact or achieve something like hospitality mod for example or exploring the map and send caravans without being able to hunt/camp or do anything on the way other than pack your  900 pieces of food for a 4 day trip

Hospitality is the only mod I've found that feels essential, like it's filling in a true hole in the vanilla game.  I'd forgotten how weird it is not to be able to interact with visitors.  They just... hang around for a while and then leave.  It doesn't matter if I ignore them.  In fact, when there's no trader I can't do anything but ignore them, and eventually they leave.  The vanilla  mechanic just feels incomplete.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 11, 2017, 12:10:44 PM

Quote from: Tynan on April 11, 2017, 04:39:55 AM
  • This thread is for discussing the blog post
  • This thread is to discuss the update
  • For open-ended suggestions discussion please hit the Suggestions forum
Since open-ended discussion has been forbidden, I will make this a statement of facts not to be argued with. As a side-note, The word discussion doesn't seem to be clearly defined.

Discussion of blog post on A17 economics
Notice the complete lack of open-ended discussion opportunity: This is a bug report on the conceptual model of currency in Rimworld A17.

Money is created and destroyed by selling it into service and buying it back.

If I buy ten steel from a faction, then I have also created a debt to that faction for ten steel. Money is merely the token that represents that credit for ten steel, and at any time they may come and give me that token demanding that ten steel. Then I am bound to give them ten steel or it's equivalent in merchandise in exchange for the token. Which I may then destroy if that is my wish.

But if I tell them sorry I don't honor my promises so here's 8 steal instead, then it becomes a military action instead of a political one, and thus the phrase heads are going to roll.

On the topic of constructive criticism and censorship of input, do take care that self-defense doesn't create tunnel vision.

Silver or gold based economies woks differently from you're thypical Fiat currency model

khearn

There is no currency in rimworld. Values are expressed in terms of units of silver, but it's possible to have a trading session with no silver changing hands at all. And there are no debts created by trading. If I buy ten steel from a faction, I give them other goods (possibly including silver, but possibly not) in exchange. No debt is created. They do not gain any right to come back at a later time and demand ten steel from me, because I have given them no token saying they can. I just gave them a few pair of shoddy ratskin pants I pulled off some dead guys.

I will, however,  agree that if they come back insisting that I take those pants pack, it's an act of war.

Tynan

AngleWyrm - this reasoning is why RimWorld doesn't include any fiat currency model ("dollars" or whatever). There is no authority to enforce it.

So, like ancient peoples, in RimWorld you trade using precious metal (silver) as a currency. The metal is not a token and it doesn't represent a promise. It doesn't represent anything. It is silver and it has intrinsic value.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Sirportalez

So just add gold for trading then, please. ;)

Tynan

Quote from: Sirportalez on May 03, 2017, 06:14:47 PM
So just add gold for trading then, please. ;)

You can trade with gold as easily as you can trade with silver, but it's not a common thing because gold is rare. And gold is too valuable for small/accurate transactions (also the reason ancient people only used it for large transactions, while they used silver/copper in daily life).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

DariusWolfe

So add copper to the game; It's value would be possibly on-par with iron, but it's better for certain types of electronics (conduits, for sure) and it's another item, like silver, that is often traded in bulk.

Then let us research coin-minting...

then Empire building...... (since we have roads, we're half-way there already)

Pepelnica1488

Energy shield and shotgun it's all new content a17 lol?

Parsival

Wouldn it be cool, ff there would be horses for the caravans? and maybe wagons you can build, to transport more goods at one time.

kenmtraveller

Wagons have the disadvantage of only working on roads or flat open terrain.  We have roads now, but rimworld doesn't really model forests at the world level.  Well, unless we assume all Boreal/Temperate biomes are heavily forested.

gratua

I like the note about this game getting large enough that every addition becomes more complex to integrate.  I can appreciate that aspect and am quite thankful for the increased trouble you face as you implement these changes for us.

thanks for this wonderful, wacky world!

SurrealSadi

The fact that the game is getting more complex with each addition makes me worried that one of these Alphas, Tynan's gonna have to just re-write the whole code of the game.

Headshotkill

Quote from: Tynan on May 03, 2017, 05:33:12 PM
So, like ancient peoples, in RimWorld you trade using precious metal (silver) as a currency. The metal is not a token and it doesn't represent a promise. It doesn't represent anything. It is silver and it has intrinsic value.

Funny how we humans apply such value to a seemingly random raw material.

Sunfang

Quote from: SurrealSadi on May 05, 2017, 03:44:24 AM
The fact that the game is getting more complex with each addition makes me worried that one of these Alphas, Tynan's gonna have to just re-write the whole code of the game.
And that's when we will get z-levels
Forever burning in the darkness