Corpse Disposal

Started by nnescio, October 21, 2013, 06:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nnescio

Squirrel corpses tend to pile up after a while and they don't seem to rot or decay. Butchering doesn't seem to be present (yet). Graves and dump sites take up valuable space. My last attempt at using fire ended up in disaster. So...

Are they any alternative means to dispose of corpses? Do they actually decay after a long time?

(I mean, I suppose I could use the incendiary launcher on living vermin, but that tends to spread fire all over the place when they run around on fire.)

salt1219

you can bury them, burn them, or blow them up.  All of which will clear them

nnescio

Well graves seem to still occupy space even if they can't really be seen, plus the corpses still exist and will pop out when you sell the graves. Unless there's some other method of burying I'm not aware about. Or do they actually decay once buried?

I guess I'll use blast charges then. Thanks for the suggestion.

reeceaclarke

We should just use a iron cannon to destroy them for sure

nnescio

Quote from: reeceaclarke on October 21, 2013, 11:43:01 AM

Eh, I prefer the ol' magma chute or the dwarven atomsmasher myself.  ;D

Mirzero

I'll have to test it when I get home to make sure... but I believe once a grave has been filled, you can sell the grave and build a new empty one right on top of it.

British

When you sell a grave, the body inside "emerges", so you'll have to burry it again.

Shaft

Yes, this needs to be resolved, preferably through something like decay.  Maybe a buried body decays 3x quicker than one left on the ground, but eventually they should all decay.  After the 20th raid, I have 150+ corpses, and my graveyard is becoming the fastest growing attraction at my camp.  I wouldn't  mind having more creative options, like making them ultra-flammable and then setting them on fire, but doing this by manually shooting them is highly ineffective at the moment.

Also, debris has the same issue.  They usually come with events and they get too cumbersome to handle.  Using explosive charges is ok, but still takes a while.  Would be nice to have an incinerator or some other way to permanently deal with debris.

Blitz

Quote from: nnescio on October 21, 2013, 11:59:38 AM
Quote from: reeceaclarke on October 21, 2013, 11:43:01 AM

Eh, I prefer the ol' magma chute or the dwarven atomsmasher myself.  ;D

Atomsmashers exist. If you drop down roofs on the bodies, they go away, but you are stuck with the slag instead.

vincentcutillas

In real life, the decay of a human body will take a very long time and will have an horrible smell... I do not have the game yet (only 10 days to go ;D), but if it has not been implemented maybe an odour radius that affect the colonist could be a nice addition. And of course this effect increase as the time goes by, because the cadaver becomes rotten...

In terms of getting rid of them, looking at the ways available nowadays, I think that fire is still the cheapest and most convenient solution. Possibly a burning grave, it is not human do to that to your own people but to the raiders it should be okay  ::). If done outside your home area the smell will not affect the wellbeing of your people, and instead create fear for the future raiders.

SleepyFox

Yeah best solution right now is just molotov a pile in a dumpsite and watch the space clear like new. Fire always makes it better.
Streaming Games 24/7 @ InsomniacGamers.net

mumblemumble

Quote from: SleepyFox on October 21, 2013, 09:44:44 PM
Yeah best solution right now is just molotov a pile in a dumpsite and watch the space clear like new. Fire always makes it better.
This. You can event "stock" bodies up on flanks where raiders are, and use them as bonfires to keep raiders on their toes. If you light them at the right time, you could burn the raider group pretty well.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

British

Quote from: vincentcutillas on October 21, 2013, 06:57:33 PM
(...) if it has not been implemented maybe an odour radius that affect the colonist could be a nice addition.
Believe you me, sight does already affect the colonists pretty well...

Sliverine

I think this has been mentioned somewhere before but i just wanted to confirm...that hand grenades clear slag and rock debris off the gameworld?

Tynan

Blasting charges are a clean, safe, predictable way of getting rid of bodies.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog