Animals not respecting the allowed zones?

Started by Miguelh1020, April 14, 2017, 03:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miguelh1020

So this is a crazy thing that happened today. A pet cobra entered a hospital room and ate the Luciferium (I needed it!)
I double checked and it is a restricted animal area, and I don't think any other animal enters the room. What happened? Is this a cobra thing??

Serenity

I've seen some cases where animals can enter an area when the wall separating it from the animal area is included in the animal zone.

Miguelh1020

Quote from: Serenity on April 14, 2017, 03:16:24 PM
I've seen some cases where animals can enter an area when the wall separating it from the animal area is included in the animal zone.

This is not the case. My animals roam free, and have the rooms and grow zones restricted. I don't know how to upload the pic, but basically the allowed area is everything, with a block that is the building restricted, only one door, and no reason to butt in

Greep

2 things:

A) Was your cobra actually assigned to the right animal area? XD
B) Colonists will travel in unassigned areas if the restricted area is separated blocks.  I assume animals will as well.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Miguelh1020

Quote from: Greep on April 14, 2017, 03:42:06 PM
2 things:

A) Was your cobra actually assigned to the right animal area? XD
B) Colonists will travel in unassigned areas if the restricted area is separated blocks.  I assume animals will as well.

A) Yes. I double checked.
B) What?
I don't quite understand last part, I do know that if a colonist is restricted, and only has two zones allowed, they will enter the restricted area to go from one allowed zone to the other, but this is not the case, as the restricted area is a block in which the animals should not enter. Bad snake!

Greep

Well if by "block they're not allowed to enter" you mean you've covered the entire map and left a hole in it, perhaps the pathfinding for restricted areas just works by checking starting point A and end point B and if they're both unrestricted, path however you want. In which case it woudn't matter.

In any case, pets shouldn't eat IIRC luci, so it's already a bug,
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

KillTyrant

I had this issue with my chickens. I found that the best course of action is to make sure your animals are no where near it. Its not enough to just restrict it behind some doors and such. You need to put a decent number of blocks so they cant.... uhh.... detect it? For me, 50 or so blocks away in my meat freezer was enough to completely stop them from "finding" it. Make a new animal area and invert 50 or so blocks in all directions and im sure this issue will stop.

Miguelh1020

News update kids:

So now I'm minding my own bussiness, working on a nice marble floor, killing manhunting "muffalols" generally having a nice time. But then! Late at night, when everyone's going to sleep, I got a system message: another of my cobras got chemical damage from alcohol. I'm pretty sure animals don't enter my freezer/kitchen where I stock that kinda stuff, but after closer inspection, I realized *someone* hauled a pack of beer to the  hospital stockpile where I keep my drugs. And I triple checked this time, animals are not allowed into this building.
But wait! There's more. Another one of my cobras (I have 4 right now) Also has an "alcohol tolerance (small)" so that one's been drinking my shit too!
It's them. It's the snakes. Why Does It Always Have To Be Snakes?? I checked all my animals, I have a small zoo, and none of them seem to have alcohol tolerance, and of course none of them munched on my Luciferium or I'd know. The snakes are allowing themselves in a zone that no other animal dare to trepass.
I guess I will restrict them to a patch of sand way out in the map, or something like KillTyrant suggested, but I don't want to be hauling kibble every day to feed their hungry snake mouths. I was happy when I found 5 fertilized cobra eggs, but right now I'm thinking of omeletting them before things get any worse.
Could someone confirm if this is really a bug or is just as cobras were supposed to behave? (I have only one mod running, which is mad skillz. I don't like the exp degradation. Was driving me crazy)

KillTyrant

Not sure if its a bug or tynan trying to imitate animals ignoring humans. Either way, the best thing is to just rotate them between 2 fairly large grazing areas. 4 snakes shouldnt be too hard to manage in this fashion

Miguelh1020

Quote from: KillTyrant on April 14, 2017, 06:42:44 PM
Not sure if its a bug or tynan trying to imitate animals ignoring humans. Either way, the best thing is to just rotate them between 2 fairly large grazing areas. 4 snakes shouldnt be too hard to manage in this fashion

They don't "graze" they eat Raw meat, corpses, animal products, meals, processed foods, and, of course, kibble.
I set up a snake pit where they'll wait for now. There are 3 there, one can't move because of the chemical damage. It sounds easy to keep these 3, but they'll soon be 8. And then food, probably. And maybe cowboy hats

KillTyrant

Animals atm can be a bit tricky to work with minimal effort. You might need to set up a small freezer and store small animal meat there. Thats about the easist thing I can think of atm

Hans Lemurson

If animals run out of accessible food and begin to starve, your colonists will take pity on them and try to feed them Beer instead.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

ArguedPiano

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on April 15, 2017, 06:24:23 AM
If animals run out of accessible food and begin to starve, your colonists will take pity on them and try to feed them Beer instead.

Could this be due to the medial system? Once starvation/malnutrition sets in it becomes a medical problem where doctors will tend to the wounds..? (in this case the malnutrition is remedied with whatever "food" is around)
*just a thought*
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Shinzy

I believe, when the animal taming stuffs were first added, there was something mentioned about the animals trying to respect the zone boundaries best they can. But could and would still trek out of it without regrets to get totes macgotes smashed for example

maybe your snakes just really like their beer

I wouldn't put it past them

b0rsuk