[MODDER REQUEST] Compatibility Resources Spreadsheet

Started by Raccoon, April 10, 2017, 07:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raccoon

Hey there! It woud be nice if you as modder can track your ore's in this spreadsheet just to see where
compatibility is needed!

You dont have to fully fill out the pattern just Name + Ore/Ingot.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxcDB-kGEHTocyhIObU8bV9N0pwD1NivNRIf4Epwxc4/edit#gid=797522201

Thanks.

AngleWyrm

Projects of this type of information warehousing usually fail because of a design flaw: They ask for voluntary human labor as a data-entry task.

Find a way to automate that process, so that consolidation does not burden the people who wish to look up information for their own uses, then it will be a much longer-lived project.

TL;DR: The insertData() part of this storage mechanism is currently too expensive.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Raccoon

Maybe someone like to host a page where everybody can simply just type "Name Mod" "Resource" etc and send it to my email or so..

The-Eroks

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 10, 2017, 11:32:27 AM
TL;DR: The insertData() part of this storage mechanism is currently too expensive.
Unfortunately this is the case.

@Raccoon

I think you're correct in noticing that there are a lot of mineral-themed modifications out there, and also correct is the desire to not duplicate too much of what has already been done. Perhaps instead of a spreadsheet, a more effective (and maybe counter-intuitive) solution would be a GitHub or community mod project, the sole purpose of which was to be the single-source solution for RimWorld mineral resources?

The reason being is that there is no reason to for me, as a modder, to make my own mineral modification if such a resource already existed, was more superior than anything I could create myself, and was more popular than any mod I had the time to create. If the modding community stops making mineral mods because of this community mod, it would be the list.

This would also be less work (overall) than recording because a modder has already (or at least intends) to invest the work in making a mineral modification to begin with. So the cost of adding their work to the community project is already sunk time.

Spdskatr

Such can be seen with the chemfuel generator mods. No one can agree with a set standard
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Raccoon

Quote from: The-Eroks on April 10, 2017, 09:45:10 PM
Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 10, 2017, 11:32:27 AM
Unfortunately this is the case.

@Raccoon

I think you're correct in noticing that there are a lot of mineral-themed modifications out there, and also correct is the desire to not duplicate too much of what has already been done. Perhaps instead of a spreadsheet, a more effective (and maybe counter-intuitive) solution would be a GitHub or community mod project, the sole purpose of which was to be the single-source solution for RimWorld mineral resources?

The reason being is that there is no reason to for me, as a modder, to make my own mineral modification if such a resource already existed, was more superior than anything I could create myself, and was more popular than any mod I had the time to create. If the modding community stops making mineral mods because of this community mod, it would be the list.

This would also be less work (overall) than recording because a modder has already (or at least intends) to invest the work in making a mineral modification to begin with. So the cost of adding their work to the community project is already sunk time.

Im already working on a mineral mod, thats why im makeing the spreadsheet when im getting balance into the minerals at all and other mods can use them. Thats woud be my goal atm.