[Mod Request] The Brood

Started by Vaperius, April 14, 2017, 10:08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaperius

Change colonist pawns into bug people. Normal pawns are controlled male or female drones(not workers*). They start with a "queen egg"; queen egg hatches into a queen in a year after landing, which is how much time the player has to provide it with a nice dark and warm room for it to lay the brood. Queen will lay brood in the area its penned in but is not a colonist but rather an animal pawn.

Spawned pawns from brood come every year(gestation time for each egg). Most will be dumb labor workers that haul; some will be warrior-bugs, rarely a new drone will spawn; 1 in 1000 eggs will be a new queen.

So to break this down.

The Brood can be modeled after termites rather than ants or bees; with the queen serving the workers rather than the other way around.

Drones are different from workers; they are in "Brood" hierarchy; intelligent independent workers. They will be your typical colonist pawns mechanically.

Workers are not drones. They are akin to dogs for hauling. Normal taming of other animals would be disabled for balance(and challenge). (Scarab?)

Warriors are not drones either.  They are akin to wargs for fighting. (Megaspider?)

Queens are not drones. They will be like a permanently fertile tortoise or chicken. Constantly laying eggs. (Modify the Megaspider art?)

Instead of technology; the hive would build their bases of wood, cultivated resin, and stone. They'd use the Warriors in place of weapons, although the Drones could wield tribal technology and any guns they find. Power armor should be incompatible with drones for challenge.

Let me know what you guys think and suggest anything? I hope someone makes this.
I remain Vigilant.

virussr

I like that idea and it sounds really intresting but i wish i knew how to make a mod :D

AngleWyrm

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Vaperius

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 15, 2017, 12:54:17 AM

Have you seen the Apini race of bee people?

Yes; but they don't have a queen, so while I am playing it I am kind of hoping either the mod author caves and adds a queen OR someone makes a mod like this.
I remain Vigilant.

Vaperius

Quote from: virussr on April 14, 2017, 10:56:32 PM
I like that idea and it sounds really intresting but i wish i knew how to make a mod :D

Honestly with what I understand about Rimworld this mod would be really simple. First version could literally just be creating new pawn types with a single new art asset for the pawns(could be poorly drawn), all the other mechanics are part of the base game; and then offering it as a scenario with scenario limiting what you can research. The only thing missing is a queen pawn type and a drone pawn type; the rest is already in the game.
I remain Vigilant.