Use for pacifists in combat

Started by blub01, April 17, 2017, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blub01

I just noticed today that if you give your pacifist colonist a personal shield, they can actually do a pretty good job at repairing turrets mid-combat.

I simply felt you should know that.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

SpaceDorf

They are also pretty good at rescuing downed pawns and bait.

Enemies shoot at the nearest pawns .. put some shielded pawns in front behind cover, and the absorb most of the enemy fire.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Canute

Or use them as target dummy.
Personal shield + cover behind a 1x1 wall before the turrets will draw alot bullets away from the turrets.

keylocke

Quote from: SpaceDorf on April 17, 2017, 06:04:13 PM
They are also pretty good at rescuing downed pawns and bait.

Enemies shoot at the nearest pawns .. put some shielded pawns in front behind cover, and the absorb most of the enemy fire.

^this.

even enemy melee will try to swarm towards nearest visible pawn so keep your other shielded brawlers nearby the bait and out of sight (you can include your army of wargs and bears in the ambush)

once your brawlers are engaged in melee combat with enemy troops, try to focus your gunners against enemy gunners one at a time. (prioritize shooting at enemies with the best guns), let your brawlers and animal army handle enemy brawlers.

although prioritize killing enemy frag grenadiers and rocketeers first. (snipe them early or kill them asap in a melee ambush when they get close enough) prevent them from shooting at all cost.

enemy brawlers tend to be the first ones to die to this, letting your own brawlers/animal army free to continue baiting and outflanking the remaining enemy gunners.

The Man with No Name

I also use them to turn on the switches for my turrets. I have turrets on all four corners of my base, with a switch to turn each corner on. Turrets are normally off, partly to save electricity, and I only turn them on once there are targets inside their fields of fire. So if some hostiles move around to attack another corner of the base, I can have someone there ready to turn the switch on.

blub01

I think turret repair might actually be better than rescuing, because if your turrets don't get broken, they can't explode, meaning you can pack them together REALLY tightly - which means enemy meelees don't even get close enough. that said, all your turrets will shoot at a single target, so after, like, 10 or so there's no real point.
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

cultist

Turret repair is a good choice, but it's a bit risky. Shots that miss the turret will most likely hit the pawn and vice versa. Even a good personal shield gets worn down pretty fast under sustained fire.

deshara218

I've got the rimfire + combat realism mods, so I put my pacifist pawns to use as a spotter for my rocketeers, hauling the ammo that the rocketeer can't carry cause of the size of their weapon

blub01

Quote from: cultist on April 18, 2017, 08:08:09 PM
Turret repair is a good choice, but it's a bit risky. Shots that miss the turret will most likely hit the pawn and vice versa. Even a good personal shield gets worn down pretty fast under sustained fire.

it works pretty well against single scythers.

cultist

They obviously make good doctors/cleanup-crew as well. Can't count the number of times things have gotten out of control because there's blood and corpses everywhere and everyone's in bed, hurt and in a bad mood. Pacifists are the perfect choice for making everything nice and tidy and making sure everyone is fed and healed while the fighters rest.

blub01

Quote from: cultist on April 21, 2017, 10:42:37 AM
They obviously make good doctors/cleanup-crew as well. Can't count the number of times things have gotten out of control because there's blood and corpses everywhere and everyone's in bed, hurt and in a bad mood. Pacifists are the perfect choice for making everything nice and tidy and making sure everyone is fed and healed while the fighters rest.

if your pacifists are any good at doctoring, that is.

Hans Lemurson

Can you have a bloodthirsty pacifist?  Loves people dieing, but refuses to sully one's own hands.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

deshara218

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on April 22, 2017, 08:49:58 AM
Can you have a bloodthirsty pacifist?  Loves people dieing, but refuses to sully one's own hands.

I'm pretty sure there are some politician backstories
*zing!*

Tammabanana

Quote from: blub01 on April 21, 2017, 11:14:22 AM
Quote from: cultist on April 21, 2017, 10:42:37 AM

if your pacifists are any good at doctoring, that is.

Even a bad doctor is better than no doctor at all, when someone's bleeding out. But I often set my pacifists with any doctoring passion as Doctor #1 to train them up for the inevitable emergencies.

There's usually some kind of colony-upkeep that still needs doing during combat, even if not doctoring - repairing walls, making sure there are still meals on hand for when the fighters come home hungry, cleaning up the blood, hauling/stripping/burying the bodies, capturing and wardening the prisoners. Rescue work, as previously mentioned.

And somebody still has to keep the colony running when all the fighters are laid up with terrible injuries. Even if you keep a single colonist just hiding inside a panic room for the whole battle, having them available to hold things together in the aftermath is invaluable.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo