Colonist beaten to death by other colonist

Started by The Man with No Name, April 18, 2017, 11:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on April 19, 2017, 04:26:24 PM
Can't you arbitrarily arrest any colonist with a drafted pawn?  Arrest her and execute her before the guilt timer runs out!

Though I'll admit that's a bit less satisfying than exile...
Yes, you're right, I can do just that! I have the option to release and to execute the prisoner, although I can't see a "considered guilty" indication, so execution would have a big negative mood modifier. Hopefully, I can just release her to represent banishment into exile.

b0rsuk

People unite in presence of existential threats. Even enemies. There are countless examples in history and fiction.
  • Ancient Greeks were infamously quarrelsome, but they united with political enemies against Xerxes.
  • Ronald Reagan allied with Mao Zedong, to break the Soviet Union. Stalwart capitalists allied themselves with proud communists.
  • Hitler made temporary alliance with Stalin to attack Poland.
  • Many more or less cheesy examples in fiction, like Warcraft 3, Blood 2, superhero comics

The Man with No Name

Actually the "Arrest" option doesn't appear to have worked as she's just got up from her hospital bed and is hauling stuff. So I'll test the berserk option...

The Man with No Name

The berserk/capture option didn't work either and had the same result!

The only way I can see to effect a banishment is to use the Dev mode mental break option GiveUpExit on Rose. Doing this to a colonist brings up the message that they are leaving the colony, their name turns blue, they walk off the map and they disappear from the colonist list.

So, it would kind of fit with the story - Rose kills Eridani and then flees into the night never to be seen again...

cultist

The main problem with the infighting is that it essentially equals a double berserk mental break. You get locked out of both pawns, can't arrest or interact with them in any way. Your only choices are to either let it play out or gang up on the pawn you dislike the most. Hopefully this will be fleshed out at some point, because it's completely out of the player's control, you can't prevent it and you can't really stop it once it begins.

Britnoth

Quote from: O Negative on April 19, 2017, 02:35:16 PM
It's not contrived, because the game doesn't randomly start fights between individuals for no reason.
Fights are almost always due to an insult handed down by one colonist to another.

::)

And how are insults generated?

;)

RazorHed

You can banish them , but not make them join another faction. Strip them of everything and send them on a solo caravan with no food. They will die in a few days.  No one should get a debuff unless they are a relative.

What made them start fighting? Did they have competing traits like idolater and chemical fascination? Did the killer have blood lust ? I usually don't accept blood lust colonists as they cause too many problems

O Negative

Quote from: Britnoth on April 21, 2017, 12:12:05 PM
Quote from: O Negative on April 19, 2017, 02:35:16 PM
It's not contrived, because the game doesn't randomly start fights between individuals for no reason.
Fights are almost always due to an insult handed down by one colonist to another.

::)

And how are insults generated?

;)
Not really in a contrived fashion...
The relationship and social interaction systems in RimWorld are rather fair and realistic.*
*For a game that's still in Alpha

If you're looking for an example of something that's contrived, take a glance at the event system.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: O Negative on April 22, 2017, 08:37:02 AMIf you're looking for an example of something that's contrived, take a glance at the event system.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

The Man with No Name

Quote from: RazorHed on April 21, 2017, 03:36:56 PM
What made them start fighting?

I looked at an earlier save. There was no underlying animus between the two or significant low opinion. Rose did have her jaw shot off, with the consequence of being unable to communicate and having a "disfigured" social penalty.

So a bit sad, really, but I did make Rose flee using the GiveUpExit dev command, as it seemed the most realistic conclusion to the episode in storytelling terms. Having things continue as though nothing happened seemed unrealistic. It would be nice if the consequences of homicide were fleshed out and integrated into the game, though.

Britnoth

QuoteThe relationship and social interaction systems in RimWorld are rather fair and realistic.*

How is a mechanic derived 99% from RNG that results in you having colonists randomly beaten to death

Quotefair and realistic

:-\

I play strategy games, not the Sims.

Limdood

Remember that you are the storyteller and MOSTLY, the pawns bow to your will.  Even a prisoner that escapes and kills 4 colonists before being recaptured isn't AUTOMATICALLY put to death.

since you are the storyteller, you can react in a number of ways.

1) manual labor (uncheck all jobs except haul and clean, set work schedule to only work and sleep)
2) Arrest (draft a pawn and manually right click on the target and select arrest.  I highly recommend having the target drop any weapon they're carrying first)
3) Exile (it is possible!)  - Arrest the colonist, then knock a hole in the wall.  The prisoner will then "escape" off the map.
4) Execution - nice n' easy, have the colonist at fault try to play catch with her own grenades while drafted, or do the whole shebang with arrest, then formal execution.

You have quite a bit of options that can be simulated through such things as schedule, work priority, allowed areas, and arresting.

O Negative

Quote from: Britnoth on May 11, 2017, 10:52:59 AM
How is a mechanic derived 99% from RNG that results in you having colonists randomly beaten to death

:-\

I play strategy games, not the Sims.
I don't think anybody ever said you played The Sims :P
I don't know why people try to keep using the "This game isn't The Sims" argument against things that are also included in that game ::)
They can share parts without being clones of each other.

Like it or not, this game falls under the simulation genre. It also falls under the strategy genre. It's both.