NEVER delete a user's mod list for them. NEVER. NEEEEVERRR.

Started by Tgr, April 20, 2017, 04:08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tgr

Some feedback:

I'm using a lengthy modlist. This game has no built in modlist saving feature - yes, I am aware of the modlist saving mod - and it does not have any options whatsoever for sorting mods in the mod menu. None. Yet for some incredible, inexplicable reason, I just enabled a single additional mod, and when I restarted the game gave me a helpful message informing me there was an error and it chose to deactivate every single mod and overwrite the pre-existing ModsConfig.xml.

I love this game and I love Tynan, but if this error happens again I'm gonna delete it from my installed games. If you've been playing this game for an extremely long amount of time, you could easily have dozens or hundreds of old mods floating around in your modlist. More to the point, it's incredible to me the game doesn't just default back to the previous modlist, or at the absolute very least, backup the ModConfig.xml file before overwriting it so you could try to fix it manually.

This is more or less analogous, in terms of wasted time and grievance, to the game deleting all your save files when it detects an error with a specific save file.

iceteazz

Quote from: TREH on April 20, 2017, 04:08:43 AM
Some feedback:

I'm using a lengthy modlist. This game has no built in modlist saving feature - yes, I am aware of the modlist saving mod - and it does not have any options whatsoever for sorting mods in the mod menu. None. Yet for some incredible, inexplicable reason, I just enabled a single additional mod, and when I restarted the game gave me a helpful message informing me there was an error and it chose to deactivate every single mod and overwrite the pre-existing ModsConfig.xml.

I love this game and I love Tynan, but if this error happens again I'm gonna delete it from my installed games. If you've been playing this game for an extremely long amount of time, you could easily have dozens or hundreds of old mods floating around in your modlist. More to the point, it's incredible to me the game doesn't just default back to the previous modlist, or at the absolute very least, backup the ModConfig.xml file before overwriting it so you could try to fix it manually.

This is more or less analogous, in terms of wasted time and grievance, to the game deleting all your save files when it detects an error with a specific save file.

_ Sorry for your loss, hope you can recover it soon. Although i have only a dozen of mods, but i've never got this problem. I will backup my mods and files soon, thank you. Hope Tynan will fix this in next patch.

grinch

i believe you can generate a mod list from a previous save with this mod. sorry for your loss its a pain when this happens

Seeker89

Quote from: grinch on April 20, 2017, 06:15:45 AM
i believe you can generate a mod list from a previous save with this mod. sorry for your loss its a pain when this happens

You can! yay!  if you open your save it's at the top in order of the loading.

Spdskatr

Oh yeah, there's an in game option to stop the game resetting mods config btw, but it requires dev mode. Kinda fiddly I know.

Go options -> Development mode
then set Auto-reset mods config on crash to cross.

Although this feature not being hidden in the depths of dev mode would be very nice :)
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

RazorHed

I always have a separate folder with a copy of all mods I use when I play.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: RazorHed on April 20, 2017, 07:44:56 AM
I always have a separate folder with a copy of all mods I use when I play.

But are you backing up your modsconfig.xml file? That is the OPs issue.

PotatoeTater

When you go to load your world, it tells you the mods used and the order they were enabled in. Yes it is a pain in the butt to reenable them; however, it's better than having a nonfunctioning game because of a mod conflict.
Life is Strange

SpaceDorf

Quote from: TREH on April 20, 2017, 04:08:43 AM
Some feedback:

I'm using a lengthy modlist. This game has no built in modlist saving feature - yes, I am aware of the modlist saving mod - and it does not have any options whatsoever for sorting mods in the mod menu. None.

You are aware that you can drag and drop activated mods in the modlist ?

The modlist used to be sortable the same way bills are ingame.
But after some complaining from the players Tynan changed it to drag and drop.

And yes I have used many ways to recreate modlists too .. some of which were by screenshot of the comparison list on load.

So if you are aware of the modlist-backup mod I really don't see the problem.
Except if being aware does not translate into using the mod.

From experience .. no matter how many or which mods you use this should be the basic of every modlist :

Core
HugsLib ( CCL, or whatever is the current main Modding Library )
ModList-Backup Mod ( I still wish Tynan had just implemented EdB's Modlist )
Fluffy Interface Mods
Other Interface Mods
QoL Mods
Balance and Tweak Mods / Other overhauls
Content Mods

for reference my Modlist contains 187 Mods, I have neither performance nor incompability issues.

Final Tip :
Use the non-steam version. ( of everything )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Headshotkill

Or you can do like I always do when my games end up with 50+ mods which is making a good ol' note listing all mods in order and saving that file.