suggestions where to host a mod?

Started by keylocke, April 20, 2017, 10:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

i'm lazy. but i'm thinking of sharing some of my mods and wondering which way is gonna give me the least amount of hassle.

steam workshop?
dropbox?
github?

which option can you guys recommend that would give the least amount of hassle when updating?

XeoNovaDan

Steam workshop is a no-brainer to host on, seeing as a considerable amount of people use Steam and many would rather just click a button than extract an archive to the Mods directory. You'd also want a manual download alongside for those that don't have RimWorld on steam or didn't have their direct copy put onto Steam - or simply those that prefer manual downloads because more reliable than Steam and no potentially save-breaking auto-updates.

I personally use Dropbox for my manual downloads, but GitHub would probably be better because others can more directly contribute if you want them to, and updating is slightly less of a pain

minimurgle

Another reason to use github is that dropbox may delete files if the get to much traffic. I don't know if they still do this or not.
Don't mind the questions. I'm probably just confused.

XeoNovaDan

Never experienced issues with Dropbox myself, but I never had a massive amount of traffic in the first place so I doubt I'll ever know :P

I think the only mod on this entire forum that'd come close to that issue would be prepare carefully

keylocke

thanks for the reply. i'm gonna try github + steam

XeoNovaDan

minimurgle

I suppose modb is better for getting traffic because some people look for mods there. But uploading and maintaining things there is a pain.
Don't mind the questions. I'm probably just confused.

Torres

skullywag

Use a central git repo to handle all the mod development and rolling releases then put said releases where you want them, slightly more work but no reason to go wholey into 1 place only.

You know someone could come up with some fancy ingame mod picker so we dont rely on steam auto updates not breaking our game that relies on your code being on a git repo.....it could happen ;)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?