[A16] Use A Freaking Table

Started by W3aponiz3d, May 15, 2017, 12:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W3aponiz3d

Forces pawns to use any table on the entire map, regardless of distance, when they need to eat. Default vanilla behaviour only has the pawns utilize a table if one is present within 25 cells.

Disclaimer: This mod is a super simple XML edit, that should force pawns to eat at a table as long as one is present on the map, and they can actually reach it. It will not be compatible with any mod that also alters ThingDefs MealBase or OrganicProductBase. This shouldn't cause any moderate or significant overhead as far as I can tell by looking at the source, but I can't guarantee that.

Downloads:
Steam
Dropbox

Canute

Wouldn't it be better when you just let the pawn eat when a table is close.

With your mod a hauler/constructor on the other side of the map would take the long way home to eat on the table, isn't it better in this case to take the mood "ate without table" then loosing the half day to walk back home ?

ChromeMax

Have you read the post? What you are describing is simply default vanilla interaction. This mod makes it so that they have to go to a table even if one is far away(beyond 25 tiles).

W3aponiz3d

Hey Canute,

Yes, you are correct, this will require a hauler to move to the nearest table to eat even if there is only one table available and it is halfway across the map. It's definitely a trade off, and I can't honestly say it's really "better" than the current behavior. This mod was simply made to deal with a pet peeve of mine. That is, if I had the pawns spend all that time constructing an unbelievably impressive dining area, why would they choose to simply stop what they were doing and then eat in the mud, then complain about not having a table? They do have a table, they were just to lazy to walk back and use it!

Of course, if all chairs at all tables are currently occupied, or your pawn can't find a route to a table on the map (you have the doors forbidden, or built a wall around them) then your pawn will obviously still eat off the ground.

Of course the usual way to "fix" this in the vanilla game is to simply make sure you have enough tables in enough areas that your pawns can always reach a table quickly. That solution still holds true with this mod in place, the main difference being, your pawns won't just stop in the middle of what they are doing, eat off the ground, and then cry about it after the fact.

I wasn't really looking to make this thing complex, but I suppose I could take a closer look at the "when I'm hungry, look for table" code and see if there is a way I can get pawns to try and prioritize topping off that food meter a bit sooner, at a table, especially if the next priority task would take them a significant distance away from what is currently the closest table... I can't promise I can make it happen, but I'll definitely look into it if it's something you think you would use.

nachtfalter

Mhh, I agree with your sentiment. But the critique is valid too.
Do you think you could provide variants to choose from determined by varying distances?
25 cells really is a bit low of a distance.
While I am not really interested in a mod that forces the use of a table on the whole map, I would be quite interested trying a mod that raises this value to 50 cells or 75 for example.

W3aponiz3d

Quote from: Mehni on May 15, 2017, 02:07:42 PM
There is: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=883925282&searchtext=kz

Ha! I looked all over the place and didn't see anyone else had done anything similar. Obviously there are differences.

I think what I am going to end up doing however, is see if I can make it possible to set the distance for table search via code and the mod settings menu. That way people can set it to whatever they think best.

ChaosChronicler

surprised no one has come up with foldable/portable chairs or tables. or all in ones for that matter

Gohihioh

Dropbox link is not working anymore.

kaptain_kavern

Look for this one mod. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33372.0

Unless i'm mistaken they achieve the same thing

Gohihioh

I play heavily modded Rimworld and I usually wait few months before I start playing next alpha(until there are enough mods for my liking ;p).
So that's why i would appreciate the link to alpha 16. I often install/uninstall mods and i lost this mod by accident in the proccess.