Getting Mods from Steam without Steam Version of Rimworld.

Started by SpaceDorf, April 22, 2017, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Well Topic Says it all,

just to repeat.

I have Steam and a Working account.
I don't have Rimworld on Steam nor do I want to ..

Neither do I want to start a discussion about the pro's and con's of steam.

I just want to know .. how do I get Rimworld Mods from Steam without having to install Rimworld on Steam.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Panzer

I do know that you can subscribe to workshop content without actually owning the game, but I dont know if steam downloads the mod then.
Tools like the workshop downloader dont seem to work since rimworld doesnt allow downloading stuff :-\

Miguelh1020

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Miguelh1020 on April 22, 2017, 08:06:40 PM
You can download the mod and install it manually

And How would I do that ? .. That is the question :)

Shinzy

I remember there being another thread about this way back when the game first hit steam.
(I couldn't find it again) but I'm about 75% certain they couldn't find another workaround for this than asking a friend to download the mod you want for you (Or acquire the steam copy to do it but you said that's not an option in this case)

Perhaps someone on the Discord could lend a hand to grab the steam only mods for you ;D

RemingtonRyder

If you own the DRM-free version of RimWorld, you can claim a Steam key for the game from the site.

You don't need to install the Steam version of RimWorld to download mods for it, you only need a valid key. However, if the Steam client won't allow you to subscribe to and download mods because the game is not installed, you can use steamcmd to manually get a particular workshop mod.

From the steamcmd command line:

login <username> <password>
(this logs you in)

e.g. login JohnSmith lalalalala

workshop_download_item <appid> <PublishedFileId>

e.g. to get Jecrell's Everlasting Apparel, type:

workshop_download_item 294100 909429482

SpaceDorf

@Shinzy Thanks for the offer and I was about to give in, when Marvin typed his answer.

@MarvinKosh

You are Kosh. Thank you.

I can subscribe to the mods without having the game installed or having the key.
I knew I can get the steam key from my DRM-Free Version ( yes I bought the game from Ludeon .. just to clarify )

And If a Game has a No-Steam-"Feature Patch" I will use it :)

Now where would I get those Id's ?

Got It ..

But still looks like I have to get myself a Key .. *sigh* ..

That was Easier than I thought :)

jackmehoff

Quote from: MarvinKosh on April 23, 2017, 08:44:08 AM
If you own the DRM-free version of RimWorld, you can claim a Steam key for the game from the site.

You don't need to install the Steam version of RimWorld to download mods for it, you only need a valid key. However, if the Steam client won't allow you to subscribe to and download mods because the game is not installed, you can use steamcmd to manually get a particular workshop mod.

From the steamcmd command line:

login <username> <password>
(this logs you in)

e.g. login JohnSmith lalalalala

workshop_download_item <appid> <PublishedFileId>

e.g. to get Jecrell's Everlasting Apparel, type:

workshop_download_item 294100 909429482

Hi! I know im a bit late, and i found the mods i want to download, but for example, i copied and pasted the command you provided along with the game ID and the file ID to test it, i just got met with https://gyazo.com/5e7b40e8ce055bf43543cdcc81f15201 . If you could help me that would be fantastic. Sorry to reply so late to a post.

RemingtonRyder

Could be that SteamCMD doesn't have permission to write to the folder you're running it in. Run it in a folder where it will be able to write. I was able to get the mod just now with no problems.

Aki-San

Just buy it again for steam to support ludeon (even more!) and download the mods there and copy them over.  ;)

Asero

Quote from: Aki-San on November 23, 2018, 02:01:21 PM
Just buy it again for steam to support ludeon (even more!) and download the mods there and copy them over.  ;)

Not everyone likes to support Valve/Steam. I try to buy most of my games from GOG, or the developers themselves. Originally when I bought Rimworld I believed the mods would remain forum-based, or have their own platform like Factorio. Unfortunately I was wrong.

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: Aki-San on November 23, 2018, 02:01:21 PM

The SteamCMD solution is for that situation where you already have RimWorld in your Steam Library but you don't need/want to install the Steam version because you already have the non-Steam flavour of RimWorld installed.

vzoxz0

This guy definitely pirated the game and now he wants help getting mods. Hilarious. (If he bought it off of Steam, he would have gotten a key to use on Steam, solving his problem).

Canute

vzoxz0,
some people won't use steam even when they are geting a free steam key.