Getting Mods from Steam without Steam Version of Rimworld.

Started by SpaceDorf, April 22, 2017, 12:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asero

The main reason I don't want to get my mods from the Steam is because eventually paid mods will return to the workshop across the board.
Don't believe me? Google: "Gabe Newell makes clear Valve's intention to bring back paid mods."

As going into the details will lead to an off-topic discussion, I'll just leave it at that.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Asero on November 25, 2018, 01:31:18 AM
The main reason I don't want to get my mods from the Steam is because eventually paid mods will return to the workshop across the board.
Don't believe me? Google: "Gabe Newell makes clear Valve's intention to bring back paid mods."

As going into the details will lead to an off-topic discussion, I'll just leave it at that.

You can't drop that in there and then ask nobody to comment on it.

I googled it. I found a link with that exact text on the top of the search list. I read it.

Nowhere did it say all mods would cost money. In fact it said they understood that the last attempt was flawed and they were rethinking it.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Canute

But for modders it would be a nice addon.
If you need to pay for each mod you subscribe a few cent, and half if the charge would goto the modder balance, it would support these modder pretty good.
But ofcouse for a player could be the use of a heavy modded game cost more then the main game.

RemingtonRyder

Honestly, even a few cents of paywall is going to result in players looking for mods that are free.

If Steam wants to offer a way for users to sub up and support mod creators (in much the same way that Twitch allows viewers to sub to streamers) without there being a paywall on the mods, then that would be great. Probably won't happen. But why they didn't do that in the first place, I have no idea.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Canute on November 25, 2018, 09:50:22 AM
But for modders it would be a nice addon.
If you need to pay for each mod you subscribe a few cent, and half if the charge would goto the modder balance, it would support these modder pretty good.
But ofcouse for a player could be the use of a heavy modded game cost more then the main game.

They may be able to ask for a donation, but they can not charge for a mod. This is in the Rimworld EULA:

"With regards to Mods, the following terms apply:
   -Your Mods must be distributed for free, period. Neither you, nor any other person or party, may sell them to anyone, commercially exploit them in any way, or charge anyone for receiving or using them without prior written consent from Ludeon. Commercial exploitation includes but is not limited to in-game advertising, other advertising or marketing for any company, product or service.
   -You may accept donations in connection with modding, but they may not be tied to the delivery of a specific product or service. You cannot try to push or force or pressure users of your Mod to donate to you in any way. Your request for donations must be unobtrusive.
   -You may not advertise for donations within your Mods themselves.
   -Your Mods must only work with the full, registered copy of the Software, not independently or with any other software. Your Mod may not be distributed together with the base game as a "modded version" of the Software.
   -Your Mods must not contain any illegal material.
   -Your Mods must not contain any material that violates copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property restrictions.
   -Your Mods must clearly be presented as community-created content and not as though they were official or made by Ludeon.
   -Your Mods must not misrepresent what they are or their purpose, or deceive players in any way they wouldn't reasonably appreciate.
   -Your Mods may not be used as a vector for spreading malware.
   -Your Mods may not defame, attack, or bully any individual."

Canute

But you know Valve/Steam got their own rules.
When they would decide to charge for mods, the game developer need to accept it, or they need to remove from steam.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Canute on November 27, 2018, 04:33:23 PM
But you know Valve/Steam got their own rules.
When they would decide to charge for mods, the game developer need to accept it, or they need to remove from steam.

They could. Out they could just make that system available. Much like Steam DRM, you aren't forced to use it to have a game on the system. But you can if you want.