[A17/B18] Orbital Hubs United - Dropships 1.2 (14.02.2018)

Started by Cpt.Ohu, April 23, 2017, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tal Raziid

So, i made a dropship with a turret installed, sent it to a pirate base, and it landed right next to their buildings; then one of my pawns (inside the ship) immediately dies due to a mortar landing on the ship. Are ship turrets just like regular turrets, but attached to the ship? And does the ship normally land right next to the enemy buildings? I'm going to assume they do, unless its a side effect of the thicker forests mod i use causing there to be no landing spots except the middle of the base lol
Update: there seems to be a bug where the bottom UI disappears when the ships are on-screen; tried using the delete tool to fix it,but then i had an error when attempting to add the new ships i made to a fleet.

Canute

Yep, currently is the middle the attack spot for the dropship.
In a future update that will maybe changed.

But currently i suggest to land 1 tile before and send one or all beside one to attack, and call the dropship once your pawn entered the enemy outpost.
Then you can select a landing position.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Tal Raziid on August 26, 2017, 03:48:04 PM
So, i made a dropship with a turret installed, sent it to a pirate base, and it landed right next to their buildings; then one of my pawns (inside the ship) immediately dies due to a mortar landing on the ship. Are ship turrets just like regular turrets, but attached to the ship? And does the ship normally land right next to the enemy buildings? I'm going to assume they do, unless its a side effect of the thicker forests mod i use causing there to be no landing spots except the middle of the base lol
Update: there seems to be a bug where the bottom UI disappears when the ships are on-screen; tried using the delete tool to fix it,but then i had an error when attempting to add the new ships i made to a fleet.

Whenever the UI disappears, end the game and take a look at the output_log.txt and please send it to me. That's the only thing that can help me identify the problem.

And yeah, without knowing the map (meaning it was generated) your ship will do an assault dropdown like regular droppods.

vitorss

I can't get it to load sleeping bags or beds on the ships, any idea why?
EDIT: nevermind, it was an error on my part, it's working beatifully now

Reinhark

I did find few issues with the mod, but since I am also running million other mods, don't take my words at face value...

First, the ship does not land at the edge with certain mission. It always lands at the center? It was either quest with wiping out pirate base or bounty mission. Can't remember at the moment.

Second, Ship deconstruction(both normal deconstruction and canceling construction, I think).... It leaves "null" in total ship tracker in the save files and somehow this breaks bottom UI(tested with 4th ship constructed. To reproduce, build 4 ships and deconstruct first 3. Click 4th ship.). Not so sure why this interacts this way and breaks UI.

Canute

Reinhark,
before you are posting anything, you should read at last a few pages ! Then you wouldn't at last know about the landing in center problem.

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: Reinhark on August 27, 2017, 03:15:35 PM
I did find few issues with the mod, but since I am also running million other mods, don't take my words at face value...

First, the ship does not land at the edge with certain mission. It always lands at the center? It was either quest with wiping out pirate base or bounty mission. Can't remember at the moment.

Second, Ship deconstruction(both normal deconstruction and canceling construction, I think).... It leaves "null" in total ship tracker in the save files and somehow this breaks bottom UI(tested with 4th ship constructed. To reproduce, build 4 ships and deconstruct first 3. Click 4th ship.). Not so sure why this interacts this way and breaks UI.

Probably the cleanup in the ship tracker didn't work quite right. I'll make it more thorough for the next update.

Arif21

Quote from: Cpt.Ohu on August 25, 2017, 04:04:22 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on August 25, 2017, 09:07:01 AM
Quote from: Arif21 on August 25, 2017, 06:41:07 AM
hey, great mod. but i have an idea.. how about when we attack an outpost. we can choose where to land like we land on our settlement? ;D

thanks before...

Long ongoing discussion.
It seems really hard to do, because the map only loads when the pawns spawn on the map.
Even droppods only decide between side or center.

Exactly. There might be a way to do it, but that would require a lot of experimentation. I cannot say if I'll be able to get this feature in or not.

hmmmm.. is there any mod that can we use to see a settlement or raider camp? that could answer this problem (because it will generate/loads the settlement/camp map before). but if there aren't any mod like that. maybe you can create it. i wonder if that will be hard... sorry for my bad english.

Cpt.Ohu

Well, I could create spy drones that are fired like droppods and force map generation on impact.

Also: We have another entry for the shipyard. Inverness from the Industrial Revolution mod has made some fantastic looking old-timey planes that you can use with the base mod. If you like Rimworld with 18th century asthetics, check out his work.

IWannaChaos

Any word on being able to load incapacitated pawns?

Smellfungus

I've noticed the same bugs as others have. On reproducing the ship disappearing one, it happens when the ship has arrived at the destination, you use the move command to select the current tile, then choose to 'visit' the location. I'm guessing the game treats it like a caravan, not drop pods, at this point. As there isn't a caravan, and as there aren't drop pods in a caravan, you get the map loading and your ship disappearing.

I've noticed my muffalo (which I loaded to haul turrets and batteries) disappear regularly, I'm guessing because I went over the weight limit (by manually forcing pawns aboard) or some other limit and they were removed. My colonists have come back with no weapons as well, and lower resource yields. Pretty sure it's through my manual allocation, but I haven't tested it.

Regarding choosing a landing spot: it may be possible to bypass it by putting in a script that triggers an imaginary caravan entering the square prior to landing. Once the dropship arrives at a location attempt to trigger a caravan arrival, in much the same way as happens in the first bug I mentioned. :) Dunno how feasible / easy that would be.

Fleets totally screw up when told to return home. I had two ships in the fleet, one with a home square and one parked further away without. On arrival they landed in the rough area of the parking area, destroying some constructions and ruining my greenhouse totally once I tried to sort it out. I decided to simply destroy the second ship, played for hours then quit the game. On reload today I found I could no longer use my first ship, due to the earlier mentioned fleet stacking bug. :p I'm currently constructing another, but I expect that to be screwed in much the same way now. It's a shame, they were really good additions! You've made an excellent mod, save for these bugs. XD

I believe there's one or two more, but I forget what they are. I'll post again if I remember. :) Thanks for all your work!

Cpt.Ohu

Quote from: IWannaChaos on August 30, 2017, 03:00:32 PM
Any word on being able to load incapacitated pawns?

A rescue option for downed pawns should be available now when right-clicking. Not yet on ship-loading tab though.

Quote from: Smellfungus on August 30, 2017, 03:23:25 PM
I've noticed the same bugs as others have. On reproducing the ship disappearing one, it happens when the ship has arrived at the destination, you use the move command to select the current tile, then choose to 'visit' the location. I'm guessing the game treats it like a caravan, not drop pods, at this point. As there isn't a caravan, and as there aren't drop pods in a caravan, you get the map loading and your ship disappearing.

I've noticed my muffalo (which I loaded to haul turrets and batteries) disappear regularly, I'm guessing because I went over the weight limit (by manually forcing pawns aboard) or some other limit and they were removed. My colonists have come back with no weapons as well, and lower resource yields. Pretty sure it's through my manual allocation, but I haven't tested it.

Regarding choosing a landing spot: it may be possible to bypass it by putting in a script that triggers an imaginary caravan entering the square prior to landing. Once the dropship arrives at a location attempt to trigger a caravan arrival, in much the same way as happens in the first bug I mentioned. :) Dunno how feasible / easy that would be.

Fleets totally screw up when told to return home. I had two ships in the fleet, one with a home square and one parked further away without. On arrival they landed in the rough area of the parking area, destroying some constructions and ruining my greenhouse totally once I tried to sort it out. I decided to simply destroy the second ship, played for hours then quit the game. On reload today I found I could no longer use my first ship, due to the earlier mentioned fleet stacking bug. :p I'm currently constructing another, but I expect that to be screwed in much the same way now. It's a shame, they were really good additions! You've made an excellent mod, save for these bugs. XD

I believe there's one or two more, but I forget what they are. I'll post again if I remember. :) Thanks for all your work!

Handling ships on the world map is indeed a bit tricky. When your ships leave the map, a traveling droppod object is created. Once they have arrived, a modified caravan is spawned. So I have to keep moving cargo and pawns around between different game objects, which sometimes doesn't work as it should. I wanted to enable visits after landing as a world-object, but I guess the spawning of ships is messing up.

The returning home option for fleets isn't intended to be possible without having a parking position set for all ships. When returning a single ship, it should fly to the exact parking position specified.

I'll try and write a few lines on how to edit the savegame so the code-artifacts from the destroyed ship are deleted as well.

Smellfungus

Sweeeeet! :D That would be awesome! Yeah, I figured it would be tricky. Well, maybe put a block on assigning to a fleet without a home position set; it wasn't that I intended to do that in the first place, I simply forgot. :p I tried looking at your code but it's way beyond me. Is RimWorld code open for viewing? I ask as it seems you've got a good grasp of what's going on under the hood. :)

IWannaChaos

Quote from: Cpt.Ohu on August 30, 2017, 04:43:32 PM
A rescue option for downed pawns should be available now when right-clicking. Not yet on ship-loading tab though.
Thanks, this should make base raids more worthwhile.

Reinhark

One more minor glitche.

Ship seems to be either over or under-loading. Sometimes both in fact. upon request of loading of single item - say, simple meal x 10 when you have lots of them, - say, 100 - multiple colonists will load the ship with multiple simple meal x 10, resulting in ship having simple meal x 20 or 30.

On the contrary, loading of the crew ends way too early. upon loading half of the crew that I have requested to be loaded, loading will "complete"(message will display that loading is complete) and crew will stop loading any items I told them to load and remaining half of the supposed crew will go on their marry way. Unsure if this is intended feature. At least they should finish loading the items if it is.

I am not using any pawn AI changing mods, but can it still be mod conflict?