Orbital Trader - What determines which trader comes?

Started by dkmoo, April 24, 2017, 06:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkmoo

Hi All,

I'm currently on a Cassy extreme sea ice map and am getting desperate for resources. I'm going on year 3 . In the beginning I got a good mix of all of the traders but started sometime after year 1 i started only getting pirate merchants. I just had what felt like the 7th straight pirate merchant. I have a stable food/power supply and the base-building/construction materials I "could" get by with only steel/plasteel from mechanoids but the fur parkas are getting really threadbare. I'm already started micro managing by giving them cotton parkas indoor and only switch to fur parkas when they need to haul outside/fight raiders. a few more months of this and they will not survive winter outside of the base  or be able to fight off raiders outside.

Human raiders seem to have stopped coming as well - just fought off the 4th (5th?) mech raid...

Are the type of traders dependent upon some hidden attribute of my base? or am I just getting boned by the RNG gods?

Lys

I'm pretty sure thats just random.
Only mechs raiding you is probably because it is too cold. In my ice colony I had noticed that humans would only come during the summer because otherwise the temperature was too low.

Canute

Orbital trader are indeed random.
And you still can try to call trader caravan's if your biome temp. are above -30C.
If the temp. below -30C all the year you only get Mechanoids for tea.

SpaceDorf

Plaststeel, Steel and Components .. what else would I want from a trader ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

DNK

Quote from: SpaceDorf on April 25, 2017, 07:47:55 PM
Jade sculptures of a deer triumphantly standing in front of a field, with a city in the background, with lots of triangles?

dkmoo

Quote from: SpaceDorf on April 25, 2017, 07:47:55 PM

Haha it's -80C in the summer. Running low on fur parkas. Also got 2 beacon-ful of stuff that pirate merchants don't buy.

Thankfully an exotic good came in the dead of winter so I splurged bigly. Also bought some psychic/insanity lances to get those raiders with good coat - since they are always the ones that retreat and escape after seeing their inferior-parka'ed bretherens freeze to death on route to attacking my base. 700 silver for a fur coat/tuque is def worth it in my books.