[A16] Chicken Nest

Started by Celestial, March 30, 2017, 12:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celestial

Hello~ this is my very first mod, it's a chicken nest that you can build. It serves as a bed for chickens and anything smaller, and animals that lay egg will seek out nearby nests to lay their eggs. You can find it the furniture tab

Download

Requires Hugslib to be loaded before this mod.

Anyone interest in teaching me how to improve on this? Or want to replace my awful developer's art? It would be greatly appreciated

Can I use this in a modpack: Sure, just link here as well (not that I think anyone would want to add this to a modpack)
Can I modify this mod: Of course, though I'd appreciate it if you could talk to me about what you changed so I can learn.

Compatibility:
I detoured JobGiver_LayEgg, don't know any other mods that do this, and I didn't come up with any incompatibilities myself

marvin__

Interesting, I will be testing it out

alsoandanswer

This is great! However, instead of making a new object, how about changing the [Animal Sleeping Box](http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Animal_sleeping_box) to have the same behavior instead, so that you don't have to deal with the ugly developer textures.

"If I quote some smart guy, then therefore I should be smart myself!" -alsoandanswer

Neros

1. This looks like something I definitely could use. A nice place for the wee ones to grow up and hatch. However, it comes with an error when I use the mod (see attached image).

2. A thing you could do to improve the mod is add different tiers of housing. Like being able to research and build incubators that speed up the hatching process or even become able to construct nests for larger birds as well.

3. I know how to use Photoshop (not the best in the world though), so I could give the housing a try if you want. But the ones you have made (based on the screenshot) isn't bad at all since Rimworld is already a simple looking game in many areas :)

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Celestial

Quote from: alsoandanswer on March 31, 2017, 06:38:52 AM
This is great! However, instead of making a new object, how about changing the [Animal Sleeping Box](http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Animal_sleeping_box) to have the same behavior instead, so that you don't have to deal with the ugly developer textures.

I uploaded a version using that for those that would like to use it.

Quote from: Neros on April 01, 2017, 04:45:02 PM
1. This looks like something I definitely could use. A nice place for the wee ones to grow up and hatch. However, it comes with an error when I use the mod (see attached image).

2. A thing you could do to improve the mod is add different tiers of housing. Like being able to research and build incubators that speed up the hatching process or even become able to construct nests for larger birds as well.

3. I know how to use Photoshop (not the best in the world though), so I could give the housing a try if you want. But the ones you have made (based on the screenshot) isn't bad at all since Rimworld is already a simple looking game in many areas :)

Gosh, I didn't have that error when I tested it out, spent an hour trying to fix it, and realized it's due me trying to use xml formatting in my about.xml for credits, basically nothing wrong with the mod itself... I uploaded a fixed version of it

Incubators could be doable, though honestly I find that eggs already hatch pretty fast as it is. Thanks though. And if you feel the art is fine as it is, that's great news, I'm not all that confident with my own skills.

Neros

Maybe that incubators allows you to incubate the eggs despite what the rooms temperature may be? It might help in extreme bioms like frost tundras and deserts.

The only thing I can think off visually that can be added with the chicken boxes, is to some hay to give the poor feathery mums something soft and warm to sit on.
http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/1/17/17f251b3_90607_winter6.jpeg

EDITED:
Oh, and since you have different versions of the mod now, you should probrably give each a different name like ChickenNest and ChickenNestBox so when you have the different zip files you can easily see which is which.

Adding a version number in the file itself also makes it easier for the user to see which version they have just downloaded and what they have on the computer.

SheiFoxy

First: Thank you! This is awesome and I was just looking for a mod that does this!

Second, could you consider getting together with this mod author and making their awesome graphic work with your mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=760708576

Would also love to see your mod on workshop. :)

Cheers!
SheiFoxy's Mods on Steam Workshop
SF Grim Reality ⚝ SF Materials Rebalanced ⚝ SF Traits Expansion ⚝ SF Cave Life

XeoNovaDan

Nest Box: RimWorld Edition :D