Renounce Colony Control - Founding an Empire

Started by Edixo, April 27, 2017, 04:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edixo

So you've gotten some years in to a colony. It's nice, big, fortified, and pretty much self sustaining. You want to start a second one, but don't want to micro two colonies at the same time. You only have one choice then, to abandon the current one.

This is a bit ridiculous. There's no reason to give up all that work. A better way to do it would be to be able to Renounce Control of the colony and let it run itself.

It would basically become like a NPC colony, except under your faction and that you can't trade with it. A few factors would be relevant; Wealth, Security, and Number of Colonists. If it's very wealthy but with low security, wealth will dwindle from it an so will colonists as simulated raids come and go. But if there's good security and low wealth, wealth and colonists will slowly increase. Therefore, the better fortified it is before you renounce control, the more usable it will be later on.

It will function as providing a few services for the new colony you start:

- Requesting resources. You can request a caravan (or drop pod, if built in the colony before renouncing control) with components/steel/silver/food/etc. The amount you get and how often you can request this depends on the wealth of the colony
- Extra colonist. Request for a colonist from the renounced colony to come and join your new one. It will be random which one arrives.
- Request military assistance. Only possible if drop pods were in the original one. A few colonists drops in and assists you during a raid.

Of course, when you request resources wealth goes down, and you have to wait a bit for new wealth to build up. Same for when you request a colonist or someone dies during military assistance, you'll have to wait for new colonists to join.

The more renounced colonies you have, the more security increases in each of them, as they internally exchange resources and military aid. This allows for the player faction to become the most powerful faction on the planet with an unlimited number of colonies slowly becoming stronger and stronger as they work together.

Thoughts?
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

Neotic

i like this idea a lot now we could have an empire instead of a colony
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

skullywag

This would be neat, however we arent really at the point of pawns knowing how to run a colony on their own, I guess it could be simmed somehow, but what if you go back there with some pawns, while you are there the now AI controlled sims have to know how to manage a colony and their own needs and moods.

As i said neat idea but the AI needs waaaay more time to mature before this is really possible i feel.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Edixo

Quote from: skullywag on April 27, 2017, 05:57:00 AM
This would be neat, however we arent really at the point of pawns knowing how to run a colony on their own, I guess it could be simmed somehow, but what if you go back there with some pawns, while you are there the now AI controlled sims have to know how to manage a colony and their own needs and moods.

As i said neat idea but the AI needs waaaay more time to mature before this is really possible i feel.
You renounce control, to not get it back. Therefore it'd just be a simulation.
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

Neotic

Quote from: Edixo on April 27, 2017, 06:18:27 AM
Quote from: skullywag on April 27, 2017, 05:57:00 AM

You renounce control, to not get it back. Therefore it'd just be a simulation.
i think it would be a little better though to be able to control it once in a while. what if instead you you don't renounce but just let an AI take control like what skullywag it would be cool if instead the pawns control it (not really you would delegate a leader and based on that pawns traits would determine what the managing AI would do ex. green thumb on leader pawn AI will prioritize farming/food(i feel like this would be more likely since Tynan likes his stories(something like this would definitely lead to stories(delegating an unstable pawn would likely drive the colony into madness)))). I now alpha 17 isn't even out yet but alpha 18 (if not already in alpha 17) should really be focused on diplomacy and faction relation ships.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Swat_Raptor

I like the idea of starting a Self ran colony, for the first stage of its development it would be very dependent on the home colony for many things and ask for Food, apparel, medicine, military support, and pawns with certain skills sets, and if you don't help it out it then could get destroyed.

Later on it would be a well developed colony, and could just look like any other faction base, and you can trade with (for very equitable prices), could provide a occasional pawn and might ask for the infrequent favor, and these colonies can take a few hits before being knocked back down to a undeveloped stage.

This could also serve as a practical money sink for very wealthy colonies.

Have a ton of wealth, well purchase all the slaves you can, Tell them their their own pawns now and load them up with materials, clothes and weapons and send them off to build their own colony.

Thane

The original idea + leader dynamics for each=Less Empire more Confederation, which in terms of lore makes sense.

Occasional leader deaths could shake up your power structure and turn once productive colonies into leeches on the system and vice versa. Establish your own trade networks, build stronger relations and form armies to crush out the pirates.

(Note you still have to leave your pretty base, sorry to much strain methinks to actually have the pawns running around in the tile)
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

DNK

I like the idea of starting enough new colonies (and having each run autonomously in-game) and demanding tribute from them, and then receiving it in the form of regular "tribute caravans" from each that arrive and give you free crap.

So you could have a capital that you still play and it becomes rich and glorious. You get to build Rome.

I really hope we get more in the way of:
- factional and city/base diplomacy
- actual "states" rather than just randomly dispersed sites on the map, with borders and stuff (but still a lot of independent wilderness to settle in)
- more colony-colony (player's) interaction

Neotic

Quote from: DNK on April 27, 2017, 06:53:10 PM
I like the idea of starting enough new colonies (and having each run autonomously in-game) and demanding tribute from them, and then receiving it in the form of regular "tribute caravans" from each that arrive and give you free crap.

So you could have a capital that you still play and it becomes rich and glorious. You get to build Rome.

I really hope we get more in the way of:
- factional and city/base diplomacy
- actual "states" rather than just randomly dispersed sites on the map, with borders and stuff (but still a lot of independent wilderness to settle in)
- more colony-colony (player's) interaction
This is like exactly what i think should be in the game for more interesting late game stuff
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Swat_Raptor

thou you would really just become another out lander union, and then you gotta ask the question why not join one of the out lander unions?  I mean why are there multiple out lander factions? whats so different about them that they do not just coalesce into one group?

DNK

Quote from: Swat_Raptor on April 28, 2017, 07:22:02 AM
thou you would really just become another out lander union, and then you gotta ask the question why not join one of the out lander unions?  I mean why are there multiple out lander factions? whats so different about them that they do not just coalesce into one group?
That could be an option also. You would have to send tributes to them but gain protection from other groups (but piss off yet other groups). You might gain access to better trade terms with them (and worse ones with other factions). If the faction goes to war, you might be forced to send off some of your colonists as part of a draft (or a large tribute), and your colony might come under direct attack if not safely within the faction's borders, meaning a very strong raid or series of raids.

There's a lot that could be done with this strategy layer. I really hope we're just seeing the beginning of Tynan's plans.

RimworldOx

These are great ideas.

Also, There could be a 'social' type meter displaying how content the colonists are with your 'rule' in the original colony.

This could lead to things like revolts where you would have to respond economically or militarily, depending on your level of neglect of the original colony/how efficient it was when you left it.

Designating a leader colonist in that initial colony would be really cool as well. Their social skill could then play a large role.

Neotic

well some people are tribal and some aren't some people enjoy looting and killing and some don't
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Thane

People have had family destroying fights over which way the tp is supposed to roll and you question why there would be multiple similar factions on one planet?
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Swat_Raptor

Quote from: Thane on May 01, 2017, 03:46:39 PM
People have had family destroying fights over which way the tp is supposed to roll and you question why there would be multiple similar factions on one planet?

You are correct, there should be a relationship modifier added, Put TP the wrong way -100

Quote from: Neotic on April 30, 2017, 03:21:38 PM
well some people are tribal and some aren't some people enjoy looting and killing and some don't

Right now I have to pretend like there are differences, currently the factions have no real differences except, outlander, tribal or raider.  Trait wise you can find cannibals and greedy violent murders who go on frequent drug binges in every faction.