optional 3d map

Started by Austintrollinski, April 27, 2017, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austintrollinski

i don't like the 3d map for rim world because it glitches and pops up out of memory. can it be optional to have the 3d map but still  be able to build Conley and raid others on the 2d map.

Neotic

Quote from: Austintrollinski on April 27, 2017, 01:18:12 PM
i don't like the 3d map for rim world because it glitches and pops up out of memory. can it be optional to have the 3d map but still  be able to build Conley and raid others on the 2d map.
I'm sure it's getting optimized in Alpha 17 and the World map is a sphere, it would be hard to near impossible properly display it on a 2D flat surface. Have you reported this to the bug section too?
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Neotic on April 27, 2017, 02:17:57 PM
the World map is a sphere, it would be hard to near impossible properly display it on a 2D flat surface.

There are even some radical left-wing nutters that believe the Earth is a sphere.

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Neotic

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 27, 2017, 06:41:50 PM
Quote from: Neotic on April 27, 2017, 02:17:57 PM
the World map is a sphere, it would be hard to near impossible properly display it on a 2D flat surface.

There are even some radial left-wing nutters that believe the Earth is a sphere.

Objection! this 2D map of earth is out of proportion and if you tried to wrap it on our planet it wouldn't work. In order to transfer the current Rimworld map to a flat surface it would have to look like this to be proportional. Imagine trying to send a caravan on that
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

NinjaDiscoJew

I would also like a 2D version of the Map, that way the game doesn't hang when going into world view.

DariusWolfe

You may possibly have noticed that the in-game 3D map is kind of abstract anyway? Like, you may have noticed that the maps themselves are neither hexagonal nor pentagonal?

Besides, this style would be both accurate enough, and still useful:

AngleWyrm

Quote from: Neotic on April 27, 2017, 08:20:18 PM

Quote from: AngleWyrm on April 27, 2017, 06:41:50 PM
There are even some radical left-wing nutters that believe the Earth is a sphere.

Objection! this 2D map of earth is out of proportion and if you tried to wrap it on our planet it wouldn't work.

Follow the link.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh