Leathers - which to keep and use, and which to sell?

Started by The Man with No Name, April 27, 2017, 09:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

My leather stockpile got to the overflowing stage a long time ago, and is growing faster than I can tailor stuff with. So I've decided it would probably be best to bulk-sell a lot of it to a trader. I've been looking at the Wiki info on Leathers and have created this list from the stats there. Green is good and red is bad.

Armor - Sharp Factor/Armor - Blunt Factor

Thrumbofur: 3/3.5
Rhinohide: 2.5/2

(All other leathers: 1.5/1.5)

Armor - Heat Factor

Pigskin: 3.85
Thrumbofur: 3.2
Cowskin: 2.9

(All other leathers: 1.7)

Insulation - Cold Factor & Heat Factor

Thrumbofur: 1.35
Arctic wolfskin: 1.25
Lynxskin: 1.15

Pigskin: 1.1
Alpacahide
Chinchilla fur
Snowhare leather
Warg fur
Yorkie skin

Arctic foxskin: 1
Bearskin
Carribou leather
Dromedary leather
Elkhide
Fennec foxskin
Husky fur
Megasloth leather
Muffalo leather
Polarbearskin
Red foxskin
Timber wolfskin

Hare leather: 0.95

Boomalope leather: 0.9
Catskin
Cougarskin
Deerhide
Goathide
Labrador fur
Pantherskin

Squirrelskin: 0.85

Beaverskin: 0.8
Cowskin

Capybaraskin: 0.75
Gazelle leather
Monkeyhide

Boomrat leather: 0.7
Human leather
Raccoon leather
Rat leather

Rhinohide: 0.65
Elephant skin

Cassowary leather: 0.5
Cobraskin
Emu leather
Iguana skin
Ostrich leather
Tortoise leather
Turkey leather

Market Value Factor

Pigskin: 1.45

(All other leathers: 1.3, except)

Cowskin: 1.1

So, shall I start by getting rid of everything in red on the "Insulation" list, except for Rhinohide, for its armor properties?

khearn

You also might consider how much you have of each leather. No point in hanging onto 24 units of something you got from a pod drop that won't ever appear again in your biome (e.g. lynxskin in a desert). Sure it's got great insulation, but you can't even make a hat out of what you have, and you're unlikely to see more soon.

DariusWolfe

Like khearn mentions, quantity is the primary considering factor in what I keep. If it's rare and I have less than 25, it's automatically gone. I typically only keep leathers that I have large quantities of, or that I am reasonably sure I'll get more of. Also, aside from Devilstrand, I don't usually pay much attention to what my stuff is made out of; In colder climates, where I'm actually worried about temperature, I may also make a point of using wools and warmer fabrics.

The Man with No Name

I have enough to make a hat in all the leathers I have but for one, and I don't think I'll ever run out of alphabeaverskin. So I can sell a lot of it - maybe I won't need to build that base extension to house my leather collection after all!

iota_x

A great, and profitable, way to use excess fur and leather is to have you best builder make armchairs. They barely take any time to make, and, like nugget, they sell high.

cultist

Pigskin is the go-to material if you don't have much to work with. For some reason is has better insulation than most common (and even rare) leathers and average-good stats otherwise. It's a minor difference though and for really cold maps, leather won't cut it.

Hans Lemurson

I made 48 custom stockpiles to each accept one unique type of leather.  My goal is to "Collect them All".
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.