x Rotted Away ... where? why?

Started by dvation, April 28, 2017, 03:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvation

Hi all. I'm fairly new to rimworld and I've been able to answer most of my questions with a few google searches but am having some trouble with this one.

Every now and then I'll see a message at the top of the game window letting me know that some meat / food has rotted away ("Turkey Meat x20 has rotted away"...)

All my freezers are well below freezing so I'm having trouble determining two things:
1. Where was the meat when it rotted away?
2. Why did it rot? (I suspect this is *probably* due to temperature but without knowing where the meat was when it rotted it's hard to tell for certain).

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Man with No Name

Perhaps during a solar flare, which cuts electrical power and meaning the freezer isn't cooling stuff to below freezing? Or perhaps an uncooled stockpile that is set to take meat that you haven't noticed?

EDIT: Also, it's sometimes possible to accidentally paint stockpiles without meaning to, and they can be difficult to locate, if this is the case.

DariusWolfe

Is your freezer at, or near capacity? If so, meat may have been dumped into a different stockpile, sometimes even despite having meat disallowed.

Additionally, if you use the trick where you place stockpiles right next to your stove, but you don't keep that room well below freezing, meat can rot there as well.

Even if it's at freezing, the constant opening and closing of the doors can raise the temp sufficiently for meat to rot.

The Man with No Name

Also, have your freezer set at below freezing, at perhaps something like -3C, so the freezer is less vulnerable to small temperature fluctuations, in case you hadn't already.

Sirportalez

Or you didn't recognize a drop pod that had turkey meat in it. Is that possible or does it need to be in a storagezone?

ArguedPiano

If you click the message it will take you to the spot it happened. Perhaps you could have a better idea then.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

dvation

Quote from: DariusWolfe on April 28, 2017, 04:16:20 PM
Additionally, if you use the trick where you place stockpiles right next to your stove, but you don't keep that room well below freezing, meat can rot there as well.

Lots of possibilities in this thread but I think this is likely exactly what happened.

Quote from: ArguedPiano on April 28, 2017, 10:24:53 PM
If you click the message it will take you to the spot it happened. Perhaps you could have a better idea then.

That seems to be the case with other messages (you can click the message and it brings you to the spot it's occurring) but this hasn't worked for me for rotting items...I'll try again next time I see it maybe I just did something wrong.