Game freezes

Started by sheidula, April 30, 2017, 09:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheidula

Mod edit: This post was split from the Better Pathfinding mod thread for better diagnosis & assistance.

Apologies if this has been asked before, Im new - When running the game with this mod, it will freeze every 5 minutes for the next 5-15 minutes, or crash if I attempt to do anything during this time. However, removing the mod causes a whole flow of "10 jobs in 10 ticks" errors, and the pawns stop. Any advice is welcome.
   Note - I do have a bunch of other mods, however the issue started way after I made any changes. Reinstalling the game helped for about 2 hours of gameplay, then the bug returned.

milon

Hi sheidula,

We'll try to help you diagnose & fix the problem, but we need a little more information:
- Please post your output log file (see link in my sig)
- What's your operating system? Desktop or laptop?
- Are you using Steam or the DRM free version of RimWorld?
- What's your mod list?
- What mod did you add last? Did you add it to an existing colony, or did you start fresh with it?

That should be a good start.  ;)

sheidula

Hello milon, thank you for answering,
   Is there an easy way to list all mods, or should I link them one by one?
   Otherwise, the last mod before the issues started was "(sd) bridges" and "(sd) prepareforfishing", ( https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26276.0 ) however I stopped using them and have started multiple new colonies since.
   Im using the drm free version on a desktop, win 7, 64bit, 8gb ram; Ive noticed bloating in the .exe while its frozen, from 1.5gb to 3.x gb.
I dont know how to add files, so heres a dropbox link to the one single uotput log I have found: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y9u7v1wbmpl362/output_log.txt?dl=0

Thank you.

milon

Thanks for the log file! And I got the mods list from your log file:
Core, HugsLib, Miscellaneous 'CORE', Psychology, WM Smarter food selection, Mending, H.P. Lovecraft Storyteller V1.2 A16, Call of Cthulhu - Cults A16, Call of Cthulhu - Cosmic Horrors A16, Call of Cthulhu - Factions A16, Call of Cthulhu - Industrial Age Objects A16, Call of Cthulhu - Straitjackets A16, Achtung!, Misc. Robots, Wall Torch Mod V1.1, Practise Target, [T] RawCropThoughts, [T] MoreFloors, [T] MoreBedsVanilla (for More Furniture), [T] MoreBedsVanilla, [T] MoreBedsCloth (for More Furniture), [T] MoreBedsCloth, [T] MiscStuff, Steel extraction, SS Lightning Rod, Industrial Rollers, RedistHeat, Plant Cutting is for Growers!, Camping Stuff, More Vanilla Turrets, MiningCo. PowerFist, MiningCo. MMS, MiningCo. MiningHelmet, MiningCo. LaserFence, MiningCo. ForceField, MiningCo. Alert speaker, Mind Altering Device, More Furniture, Mamuffalo V1.04, Hospitality, High Caliber, Glitter Tech, Glass+Lights, Furnace, FishIndustry, Fireplace Mod V1.8a A16, Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering, Dubs Skylight, Dubs Rimkit(Medkit), Dubs Bad Hygiene, CaveworldFlora, Animal Feed Trough V1.1, Additional Joy Objects, Improved Surgery, Medieval Times, Chemicals & Neutroamine, Cooks Can Refuel, Fences And Floors, Hand Me That Brick, Nackblad Inc Rimhair, Colony Leadership, NeuTech Advanced Medical Pod, Realistic Starvation, Vegetable Garden , [sd] goodnight (more furniture + medicaddons mod compatible version), [sd] luciferium production, [sd] medicaddons (more furniture mod compatible version), WM Medivac, Reuse pods, Sync growth, OHU Ships, A Dog Said..., ED-ShieldsBasic, Organized Research Tab, Better Terrain, Star Wars - Fully Functional Lightsabers, Star Wars - The Force, EdB Prepare Carefully, RuntimeGC, and Better Pathfinding

I also see that you're​ using Windows - what version of Windows? And is it a desktop or laptop?  I'll dig into this more when I have time.

sheidula

Thanks, and I did say so in my previous message: desktop, win7, 64bit, 8gb ram

milon

Weird, I totally missed that.  Derp.  :)

sheidula

Calahan

@ sheidula - I'm wondering if the A16 archive got corrupted somehow when you downloaded it from SendOwl and that you are missing some files or they are the wrong size? (a longshot, but it's not unheard of, and has cased errors before).

So can you please re-download A16 from SendOwl, open the archive with a utility such as WinRAR (don't extract it, just open / view it with that utility), and then take a screenshot of the archive contents. And then post that screenshot (as an attachment is fine. Save it as a jpeg otherwise it'll be too big). This should enable us to see if you have all the necessary files, and that they are the correct size.

sheidula

Can you show me an example? Cause I dont see how a screenshot would help... Otherwise I doubt it, I've redownloaded once and reinstalled twice.

Calahan

It would help as we could compare the screenshot to the contents of our DRM-free archive and thereby detect if there's anything amiss. And it makes more sense for you to post a screenshot of your archive as we are more likely (due to experience of these issues if nothing else) to be able to spot a problem.

sheidula

Alright, here. Still curious how you can see anything from this  ???

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Calahan

Thanks for that, and it is helpful as I can immediately see that something is wrong and you are missing several files from just the base directory. Such as various text and Steam related files (yes the DRM-free version has Steam files).

Quote from: sheidula on May 01, 2017, 10:29:34 AM
Im using the drm free version...
Did you really download that archive from SendOwl? Because that doesn't match the contents of the archive of the DRM-free version that is downloaded via SendOwl. The name of the folders don't match the DRM-free version either. What is the full name of the archive (including the extension. ie. is it .rar. or .zap or .7zip)? Since the name of the archive has been cropped in the screenshot.

sheidula

Oh, my bad. Its "RimWorld.Alpha.16.rar".
This isnt the redownloaded one. I (stupidly) tried to clean it at some point, in hopes of maybe making it run  ::) Didnt help, but didnt make anything worse either. To be clear, this was after the freezing started.
Totally my fault. There where two .txt files, and steam api, I believe at a bit less than 2mg, if size matters.
Sorry if Im making your life harder than it could be.

Calahan

^ Well that explains the missing files. So... guess it's back to the start of my posts where I said... "can you please re-download A16 from SendOwl ... and then take a screenshot of the archive contents".

A big part of the reason I said to re-download it again from the source (ie. SendOwl) was to help ensure as much as possible that nothing could interfere with the archive from the point of download to opening it with WinRAR. This is also why I'm asked for a screenshot of the archive contents rather than the extracted files (even though it might seem like an odd screenshot to request), as sometimes something can go wrong during archive extraction (eg. an overzealous AV program deleting a file it didn't like the look of. AV's can't delete files form directly inside an archive AFAIK). Although I must admit I didn't anticipate the user deleting files themselves. I'll have to add this to my list of reasons next time!

This still doesn't explain the incorrect name of the folders though, and the name of the archive doesn't match the DRM-free version either?! Did you rename the folders and/or the archive as well? If you did then please don't do that again, and as I said at the start, please just re-download A16 from your SendOwl link and take a screenshot of the archive contents.

Edit - Can you make sure to include in the screenshot the directory structure of the archive, and the archive name as well please. It's perfectly understandable to not want to post a full desktop screenshot (I know I wouldn't, as privacy is privacy), but when you are editing the screenshot please make sure to select all of the WinRAR window, as that should ensure that all the necessary information is included, which should potentially save some time this end. Thanks.

sheidula

Yea, took some time to download. Wanted to get the conversation going first since we're in different time zones. Whatever.
Couldnt find how to open the full directory, so I improvised. Hope it still shows what you need - first contents of zipped folder, then contents of "rimworldwin_data", then contents of "source". I did not rename anything.
As a bonus, I added the debug log that comes up when starting the game, couldnt get the ingame one since it crashes.

They say one is never useless, because even at your lowest, youre still a good example of what not to do ;D

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]