[A17] Feedback on Ambrosia

Started by MoronicCinamun, May 22, 2017, 09:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoronicCinamun

Hello, let me start with saying I hope this hasn't been mentioned before. It's not really a bug report per se, but something that to me seems kind of odd.

Ambrosia is classified as drug as far as storage space goes, which makes a good deal of sense, although the fact it is under "manufactured" is a bit unclear. However, my main point is that it doesn't appear in the drug policy list, and thus setting people to "no drugs" does not stop them from eating it.

Forbidding it works, but of course that's pretty tedious/extremely difficult to do effectively when trying to do an actual harvest operation, else you're constantly telling people to drop it once they decided to take a bite after the haul, etc. etc.

Much more minor feedback, they don't seem to be very filling as far as hunger goes, which I guess makes sense seeing as how it is a single fruit rather than double-digits of berries, so if that's intended I'm cool with it, makes sense otherwise the addiction would be less meaningful.

So tl;dr version because I know I drone on: ambrosia is cool, but it doesn't appear on drug policy despite being classed as a drug for storage, so you can't conveniently have people harvest without eating it.

Loving A17 thus far, looking forward to seeing more.

Rulin

Thanks for mentioning this. I already wondered why my colonists are high despite the restrictions.

Play2Jens

My first sprout happened a few days before my whole colony was slaughtered, so I wasn't able to experience the fruit yet. Is it addictive? If so, it's certainly a good idea to be able to restrict it!

MoronicCinamun

Quote from: Play2Jens on May 23, 2017, 06:46:17 PM
My first sprout happened a few days before my whole colony was slaughtered, so I wasn't able to experience the fruit yet. Is it addictive? If so, it's certainly a good idea to be able to restrict it!

I haven't had addiction happen yet, but it says it is "mildly addictive". I have noticed some hefty tolerance though. I didn't quite have fine or lavish meals lying about, but it seems that everyone, including animals (I'm assuming not strict carnivores?) will prioritize it.

Doc Savage NDMF

My colonists are fiends for this stuff. Can't have it around as they ignore policy and eat it anyway. I had all but a single teetotaler smilin and lip smacking and playing who's the dufus for almost a whole season. Ended up burning the stuff in a camp fire to get rid of it. If I get a sprout report I immediately go and cut the plants down for now. Eventually it'll be treated like Luciferium, it'll get stored and barred if there's enough cash in it to bother.

To me this whole thing is like saying LSD is a no no but shrooms grow so they don't have the same restrictions. It should be treated the same as smokeleaf, a recreational joy drug subject to the same policies and usage. YMMV

Cheers..!

Shinzy

My guess is that it's not count as a typical drug as it doesn't seem to give any negative side effects (besides -10 mood effect on withdrawal)
whereas the other drugs have some mental state issues tied to them (food binges, psychotic mental breaks, organ damage etc)