Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer_joins

So far there is no question, i've had much less plasteel.

When i said i had fewer mechs raids, i should have said i can't remember when the last mech raid occured. There seem to be fewer ships too. On my flat desert map there is no apparent plasteel vein, but i've not dug out all the small hills. No ancient danger either.

So far the ratio of raids / major threats is 34/44, higher than in my last A16 game, and the vast majority of raids are humanoid raids.

Regarding raiders, they mostly bring bad quality/ damaged weapons the exception being sniper rifles, i have many normal/good brand new sniper rifles brought by raiders.

Dashthechinchilla

I honestly can't remember any mecha or ships. Cass rough. I did see plenty of plasteel on arid and tropical maps. My last tropical map, larger medium map, had at least 3 obvious. A16 I noticed that the distribution of above ground resources tends to be biome specific.

Doc Savage NDMF

8 hours yesterday, 4+ today on my tradition Randy Some Challenge Base Building Expedition. Not a single hiccup aside from a graphic glitch if I get the camera just right. No lags or slow downs at all, very smooth sailing.

The 1st Cold snap seemed a touch nicer temp wise and waited till mid Spring. Be nice to skip that 1st one TBH. The rest were sub zero every thing dies. On this map I went just south of Boreal, no avoiding them that far north. Spring and Fall were just extensions of Winter, Summer was a heat wave, two nice days and foggy rain. Then came the Toxic Cloud which just added to the cold.

The extended grow times are nice in this type of map. Blight likes to hit just right. Had quite a few lean months with very few animals to hunt most of the time. Only got Beavers once in the 2nd year and the occasional mad rat. No man hunter packs at all. Thinking this may be the exception that proves the rule... Had a couple days I was sharpening the knives to butcher the pets but managed to keep them all.

Randy raiders hit me 5 times in the 2nd Spring, one of my own choosing accepting a stray. I really needed a decent constructor and he was the only viable option for the foreseeable future. (he could even haul..!) The raid hit hard and left me vulnerable, 2nd raid cost me people. All 4 were larger groups with sappers. Two hit where I was ready, the last two hit where I was weak. Sandwiched in between was a Syther drop that clearly showed turrets don't have the range they once had. Thankfully they hit the strong side of camp. It's a b!@#$ when all raiders spread out and hit you. Going to have to rush machining for sniper rifles to pick off the grenades and cocktails and find new ways to hide. When you're out numbered it's so easy to lose sight of someone and have them end up a 12 piece extra crispy in need of a bucket.

The whole parade of calamity actually felt somewhat random this time around. It was a nice game aside from the getting shot and blown up and dying and stuff. These are the games that keep me coming back.

Aside from minor balance stuff (like plasteel being hard to come by, light bulbs with wattage out to lunch and traders avoiding me like the plague) build ship quality looks good from here. Oh, and we really should be able to handle Ambrosia like any other drug. Not planting mind you, I like that it's only in the wild. But we really should be able to disallow its use etc.

Cheers..!

ReZpawner

I have never wanted to dig up and re-plant anything more in my life than Ambrosia though. Got lucky once and it spawned near enough my base to include it. Seemed to work well, as it didn't disappear like the others did.
Then again, in the last version, a walled in group of ambrosia plants did disappear, so I can't even be sure if they disappear or not in the latest version, even if they are taken care of. Anyone able to confirm or deny?

Tekuki

Just want to say that solo caravan don't self treat them self when they are moving even though self treating is on and I have meds, does it only work if I had two people while caravaning (talking about when the caravan is only on the world map and not in a place, like not setting down)

medzernik

Quote from: wyoian on May 23, 2017, 01:56:53 PM
I know its probably a bit late, but I'm seeing others mention it on reddit but not much here. I'm finding infestations to be extremely hard to deal with currently. First of all, when they agro, they seem to stay agro-ed as long as there is any furniture within a rather large range even through walls/doors. They also seem to adapt the sapper pathfinding when agro-ed. They choose a wall to attack that is the shortest way into your base, which often means that you get a deathstack of insects all attacking one wall after the first wall gets destroyed as it is now the shortest path. I had a long strip mine set up with doors on each strip, a large burn section ready to ignite after deconstruction of doors leading to hives. What ends up happening is that after the heat gets past 300 F, all the bugs group on one tile and mine into my base. Even around year 1 this is too many to compete with a double bionic repairman with granite walls. I also tried kiting down my 3 wide hallways, but they tended to just go for my rooms and destroy tables/art instead of hunting my colonists after i went behind doors. This forced me to enter into my 11x11 by rooms with them which is not long enough for kiting and gunfire. Heres my colony for reference of how i set up the mines. Left strip was an attempt to cool them down to destroy hives, but haven't tried using it yet .

Infestation is extremely hard to beat and can spawn in your underground base which makes it completely not viable to build underground (afterall, getting killed in 1 night inside your own base is crap). I usually make a scenario where I disable the infestation event.

wyoian

Quote from: medzernik on May 24, 2017, 10:27:56 AM
Quote from: wyoian on May 23, 2017, 01:56:53 PM
I know its probably a bit late...

Infestation is extremely hard to beat and can spawn in your underground base which makes it completely not viable to build underground (afterall, getting killed in 1 night inside your own base is crap). I usually make a scenario where I disable the infestation event.

Yea I know some people enjoy that. Before this I always was able to prep and mine out extra land so they didn't spawn in my base, except maybe 1 hive which was easy to deal with. I enjoyed the past difficulty as if you had the resources (time) to mine out a huge chunk of mountains a safe distance from base, you could minimize moutnain base risk. I'm not sure how to do that now is my biggest worry. Unless i make my entire base one giant room to allow infinite kiting, I'm not sure how to handle infestations. Will dev spawn a few tonight and try to deal with them and post results.

giltirn

When I had an infestation I noticed that insects chasing you will not spend long trying to break down doors. They might whack it once or twice but then will lose interest and wander off. To deal with the insects I simply popped in and out of the door taking potshots at them - it took a while but I was able to take them out without difficulty. I must say though I did much prefer the A16 insect behavior.

wyoian

Quote from: giltirn on May 24, 2017, 01:08:40 PM
When I had an infestation I noticed that insects chasing you will not spend long trying to break down doors. They might whack it once or twice but then will lose interest and wander off. To deal with the insects I simply popped in and out of the door taking potshots at them - it took a while but I was able to take them out without difficulty. I must say though I did much prefer the A16 insect behavior.
I'll have to test as its been 3 patches since I last had an infestation, but I kited them up the long hallway in the picture above, they then dropped agro to my colonists and broke down doors to furniture to attack instead which seemed very different.

Tynan

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It was very helpful. A17 is public now so I'm locking this thread.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog