Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I'm pushing an update that should hopefully fix the region system problems, please try restarting Steam in about 30 minutes.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

TKabutz

Quote from: Aerial on May 03, 2017, 08:45:43 AM
3)  I don't like the new season names.  "1st of spring" might seem derivative since several other games have used it, but the upside is that it's unambiguous.  "1st of Aprimay" is... odd, I guess.  If that had been in place when I started playing, I'm sure I would have shrugged and not thought a whole lot about it once I had the seasons figured out, but as a change now, I don't really see it improving the flavor of the game.

Personally, I also dislike the new season names, but mainly out of a different reason.
I live in the southern hemisphere and here for us the seasons are turned around.
With Aprimay, I would think of fall. December of summer etc. (Currently, Winter is coming for us)
This change makes all the seasons a lot LOT more confusing and weird for us, who live in the South.

May I request a change to the old?
Or are you planning to make the season names relate and change relative to ones north-south position on the globe? (Or is this already so?)

Tynan

Quote from: TKabutz on May 04, 2017, 02:14:48 PM
Quote from: Aerial on May 03, 2017, 08:45:43 AM
3)  I don't like the new season names.  "1st of spring" might seem derivative since several other games have used it, but the upside is that it's unambiguous.  "1st of Aprimay" is... odd, I guess.  If that had been in place when I started playing, I'm sure I would have shrugged and not thought a whole lot about it once I had the seasons figured out, but as a change now, I don't really see it improving the flavor of the game.

Personally, I also dislike the new season names, but mainly out of a different reason.
I live in the southern hemisphere and here for us the seasons are turned around.
With Aprimay, I would think of fall. December of summer etc. (Currently, Winter is coming for us)
This change makes all the seasons a lot LOT more confusing and weird for us, who live in the South.

May I request a change to the old?
Or are you planning to make the season names relate and change relative to ones north-south position on the globe? (Or is this already so?)

But, the whole idea was to line that up. So in the game, if you start in the southern hemisphere, Decembary is summer... just like December is summer in reality.

We can't use seasons as a calendar because they're different per-region. Tropical and polar regions don't have the four seasons, they have wet/dry or no seasons at all. And of course other planets may have no seasons. Etc.

TKabutz

Quote from: Tynan on May 04, 2017, 02:28:27 PM
But, the whole idea was to line that up. So in the game, if you start in the southern hemisphere, Decembary is summer... just like December is summer in reality.

Ah ok. So what I was requesting is already implemented. Great  :D
I guess it didn't come clear across from what I've seen up until now.
Please take note that I haven't yet played/tested this new version and my information only comes from a couple online sources.
Thus the misunderstanding.

We can't use seasons as a caldendar because they're different per-region. Tropical and polar regions don't have the four seasons, they have wet/dry or no seasons at all. And of course other planets may have no seasons. Etc.

If the new season system is based on the different locations in the world at a certain time, I am really eager to get my hands on the new version and can't await to be testing it.  :)

XenGrimm

Still getting bad regions

Exception ticking PlantGrass14494: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Verse.RegionAndRoomUpdater.NotifyAffectedRoomsAndRoomGroupsAndUpdateTemperature () [0x0014c] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\RegionsAndRooms\RegionAndRoomUpdater.cs:431
  at Verse.RegionAndRoomUpdater.CreateOrUpdateRooms () [0x000a4] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\RegionsAndRooms\RegionAndRoomUpdater.cs:176
  at Verse.RegionAndRoomUpdater.TryRebuildDirtyRegionsAndRooms () [0x00075] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\RegionsAndRooms\RegionAndRoomUpdater.cs:83
  at Verse.RegionGrid.GetValidRegionAt (IntVec3 c) [0x0006c] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\RegionsAndRooms\RegionGrid.cs:122
  at Verse.RegionAndRoomQuery.RegionAt (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map, RegionType allowedRegionTypes) [0x0000e] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\RegionsAndRooms\RegionAndRoomQuery.cs:20
  at Verse.RegionAndRoomQuery.RoomAt (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map, RegionType allowedRegionTypes) [0x00000] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\RegionsAndRooms\RegionAndRoomQuery.cs:42
  at Verse.RegionAndRoomQuery.RoomGroupAt (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map) [0x00000] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\RegionsAndRooms\RegionAndRoomQuery.cs:48
  at Verse.GridsUtility.GetRoomGroup (IntVec3 loc, Verse.Map map) [0x00000] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\Grids\GridsUtility.cs:28
  at Verse.GenTemperature.TryGetDirectAirTemperatureForCell (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map, System.Single& temperature) [0x00015] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\Temperature\GenTemperature.cs:115
  at Verse.GenTemperature.TryGetTemperatureForCell (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map, System.Single& tempResult) [0x0002e] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\Temperature\GenTemperature.cs:83
  at Verse.GenTemperature.GetTemperatureForCell (IntVec3 c, Verse.Map map) [0x00000] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Map\Temperature\GenTemperature.cs:61
  at Verse.Thing.get_AmbientTemperature () [0x0002a] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Thing\Thing.cs:357
  at RimWorld.Plant.CheckTemperatureMakeLeafless () [0x00000] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\RimWorld\Thing\Plant\Plant.cs:355
  at RimWorld.Plant.TickLong () [0x00000] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\RimWorld\Thing\Plant\Plant.cs:383
  at Verse.TickList.Tick () [0x001b5] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickList.cs:128
Verse.Log:Error(String) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Utility\Debug\Log\Log.cs:48)
Verse.TickList:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickList.cs:137)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:284)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:243)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Game.cs:481)
Verse.Root_Play:Update() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Global\Root\Root_Play.cs:73)

MikeLemmer

Quote from: XenGrimm on May 04, 2017, 03:58:38 PM

That's because the hotfix hasn't gone through yet.

Tynan

XenGrimm

Quote from: MikeLemmer on May 04, 2017, 04:20:29 PM
Quote from: XenGrimm on May 04, 2017, 03:58:38 PM

That's because the hotfix hasn't gone through yet.

Wow - That's odd. I had some kind of update on rimworld and mistakenly assumed it was the one. My bad
Thanks for the quick updates Tynan.

duduluu

I hope that you could make the translation data to be latest when publish the release version. :)
RimTrans translation tool for RimWorld
RimWorld-English original text for translating RimWorld
RimWorld-zh.com my translation team website

Tynan

Quote from: duduluu on May 04, 2017, 05:14:15 PM
I hope that you could make the translation data to be latest when publish the release version. :)

I think we will!

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Tynan on May 04, 2017, 04:33:38 PM
Sorry for the delay. It's live now.

Is there a list of the minor changes from previous version? (similar to the list you posted yesterday)

MikeLemmer

@Tynan:

Could you please set the jungle insect chitter to Music Volume instead of Game Volume? It's irritating to choose between putting up with it and not hearing any sound effects at all while I'm listening to podcasts.

BlackSmokeDMax

Oh My Goodness!!! Just noticed in my last little playing spell that you included pausing/minimums for cooking meals in A17. Missed that the first couple times playing!

Thank you!!!

Looks good so far, however would love to see the UI get a bit more like AC-Enhanced Crafting in the future. Some things that mod has are buttons for adjust minimum threshold similar to setting the main target number. That mod also gives the ability to rename bills and assign specific pawns to do that bill. I know it's possible you may not want all that stuff in there, but hey, worth pointing it out just in case you hadn't seen that mod and only saw Crafting Hysteresis (very similar and I believe the pre-cursor to AC-Enchanced Crafting)

edit: By the way, the newest update today seems to have fixed the pawns freezing issue for me. This was on a save that started with the original A17 beta release, and has seen a bit of playtime with all updates as of now.

XenGrimm

Quote from: MikeLemmer on May 04, 2017, 05:46:26 PM
@Tynan:

Could you please set the jungle insect chitter to Music Volume instead of Game Volume? It's irritating to choose between putting up with it and not hearing any sound effects at all while I'm listening to podcasts.

Many games have an "ambient sound" slider - this might be a good idea too?

YokoZar

We can't use seasons as a calendar because they're different per-region. Tropical and polar regions don't have the four seasons, they have wet/dry or no seasons at all. And of course other planets may have no seasons. Etc.
I like knowing what season it is -- "preparing for winter" is a very visceral thing in this game.  I also like the realism of hemispheres being different seasons -- I can already imagine setting up two colonies on opposite hemispheres and having my colonists follow the sun.

One answer to both problems is to just annotate the current map with whatever season it is locally.  So rather than saying "1st of Aprimay" it can say "1st of Aprimay (Spring)" when zoomed in on a northern map and "1st of Aprimay (Fall)" when zoomed in on a southern map.