Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

I'm having a hard time getting any uranium... it's much less common on traders and I started on a flat map that only had two tiles of uranium to mine. I'd really like it if the mineral lumps could roll uranium - I'd be far happier to get that than jade or gold.

Alenerel

Tynan could you say something about my answer. I would like to know why not use quarters instead of quauntrums (and bring back megatherium), and if you have thought about bridges for the future.

Vintermorgon

Something is not right with medical rooms & room tend infection chance factor. My little 2x3 room with sand floor had 60%, but after putting in sterile tiles it dropped to 32%.

Update: Once I had captured a guy and put him in the prison/medical room, chances changed. Suddenly I had a whopping 94% chance.

Started a new game after making sure latest patches got installed.

DariusWolfe

Here's a play story for ya:

Lost a colony (sorta; I cheated to save it, then deleted it) to bugs and infections yesterday. I'd found a fully buried Ancient Danger when I was trying to dig some more bedrooms, so I did what I usually do; Cautiously opened it. I built a side tunnel to it, blocked the tunnel with a stone door, blocked it open (so it wouldn't slow me down if I have to retreat in a hurry) and sent someone in to investigate. Saw a hive and the normal bunch of valuable debris, but no enemy. I figured I'd gotten lucky and I could destroy the hive before the enemy spawned (derp) but they spawned as soon as I sent my pawn in. Slowed up by rubble, pawn didn't make it out, so I had to send someone in to rescue him; Now I've got two pawns injured (one seriously) from the bugs before I could get outside the door, not to mention a prisoner in a room adjacent to the Danger, and another colonist recovering from the earlier raid. Next, idiot cat wanders into the Danger, gets attacked by the bugs, downed, because I didn't forbid the area. At pretty much the same time, bugs dig through wall into my prison, while the prisoner is being fed. My doc is also my best melee, but he gets downed in a one-on-one with a spelo, so I send a couple more dudes in to deal with it, while my rifleman deals with the megaspider; she's slow, it's stupid, mostly she's got it; kites it around, taking potshots whenever it gets distracted trying to destroy my base; Takes literally a full day, but not a single colonist isn't fucked up by the end of it. (oh, btw, the prisoner got up and walked out during all of this; Neither bug thought he was worth paying attention to)

So now it's recovery time, and I'm breaking into the good meds, because only my shitty docs have been able to do anything, and there's blood everywhere; The whole place is just filthy. Oh, cat's not dead, just missing two legs? Whatever, try to save it, but it dies as soon as I get it to a bed. Meanwhile, my shitty docs keep trying to go back to bed, because they're all fucked up, instead of healing each other. Finally, my good doc is able to get up, and he starts healing people; Oh, but he's still bleeding.

Finally, I get everyone bandaged up, and infection sets in; My least injured pawn (from the raid) is able to get some cleaning done, but it's too late. I'm trying my best to keep my infections managed, but with my best doc (only, really) so badly injured, treatment isn't great, even with real medicine; Then of course, he has a Sad Wander, just a few feet away from treating a n infection; So he's not in bed, resting, and he's not saving my cook.

It ended up with 3 on the verge of death, another badly wounded, and my only "okay" colonist is basically good for nothing. I used console commands to save them, then just said "fuckit." this colony is legit lost.

Impressions: Most of this was bad timing, combined with my relative inexperience with bug mechanics. I forgot that they burrow through walls, and that, combined with my cat blocking the door is what let the bugs out; my tactic of contain and approach on my terms would have worked better if I'd have taken more precautions about their digging.

I don't necessarily think that the infection mechanics were too bad, considering most of my doctoring was being done by low-skill (3-4) docs, and there was a lot of delay in the process. I probably could have salvaged something even with three (of five) dead, but the prospect of eking by when I had just been starting to get a stable base didn't seem appealing.

Tynan

Thanks for the info everyone. Read and understood.

Could someone post a savegame of a midgame base around day 30-60? I'd like to look into this issue with enemies arriving with powerful gear too early.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

alligator76

Hello,
The game doesn't start today (yesterday it worked), i 'have a "development console" opening with a lot of red, then "rimworld.exe had a problem" pops up. I've tried reinstalling it and tested the A16 which still works.

Calahan

Quote from: alligator76 on May 05, 2017, 01:23:46 PM
Hello,
The game doesn't start today (yesterday it worked), i 'have a "development console" opening with a lot of red, then "rimworld.exe had a problem" pops up. I've tried reinstalling it and tested the A16 which still works.
Does your log file point to any clear cause of the problem? If you need help, or have encountered a bug, then please create a new post in the bug forum to report it. Details on how to report a bug, and on where to find your log file, can be found in the following thread.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

Mihsan

Quote from: Tynan on May 05, 2017, 01:04:46 PMCould someone post a savegame of a midgame base around day 30-60? I'd like to look into this issue with enemies arriving with powerful gear too early.

I have no save, sorry. But I just opened graves of those guys and here is a strange thing: all power armors have bad quality (1 awfull and 2 poor).

Also something is wrong with siege behaviour:
- Siegers try to haul stone chunks somewhere far away from theyr siege camp. Not sure, but it might be previous camp from previous siege.
- Siegers ignore my pawns. They just stand there and try to repair sandbags while I shoot at them.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Mihsan on May 05, 2017, 10:32:49 AM
On day ~50 I was raided by 6 or 7 pirates and 3 of them was in power armor. Is that normal?

quality vs quantity, i like this change: http://imgur.com/a/SyiTd

Darth Fool

Mihsan and others of you dealing with the changed infection model:  Secondary infections happen later and therefore start after some immunity has already built up.  The secondary infections, therefore, rarely are lethal unless they happen right away.  To deal with the principle infection, you really need to have your infected pawn in a bed (not just a sleeping spot).  The 10% immunity gain is critical, and it only works while they are in the bed.  It is often the difference between immunity at 95% infection and death at 95% immunity.  Damage that diminishes blood filtration combined with an infection is often lethal unless you have shiny glitterworld meds or an ace surgeon with very high medical.

Mihsan

Quote from: Darth Fool on May 05, 2017, 02:36:33 PM
Mihsan and others of you dealing with the changed infection model:  Secondary infections happen later and therefore start after some immunity has already built up.  The secondary infections, therefore, rarely are lethal unless they happen right away.  To deal with the principle infection, you really need to have your infected pawn in a bed (not just a sleeping spot).  The 10% immunity gain is critical, and it only works while they are in the bed.  It is often the difference between immunity at 95% infection and death at 95% immunity.  Damage that diminishes blood filtration combined with an infection is often lethal unless you have shiny glitterworld meds or an ace surgeon with very high medical.

To be clear: my patient died at 62% immunity and he was in the bed (not sleeping spot) all the time.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

SS4312

@Tynan

Is it intentional that crafting Stone bricks doesn't give crafting XP anymore? I could've sworn it did previously, so I think it may be a bug that it isnt.

Tynan

Quote from: SS4312 on May 05, 2017, 03:14:44 PM
@Tynan

Is it intentional that crafting Stone bricks doesn't give crafting XP anymore? I could've sworn it did previously, so I think it may be a bug that it isnt.

It is intentional.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

kenmtraveller

Not sure if this is intentional -- i thought it was pretty awesome -- but I had an early 'refugee chased by pirates' event that ended up with a pawn wearing a good suit of power armor (w/o helmet) joining my colony.  He did have a military officer type background, and was pretty much only capable  of shooting and making art, so in previous versions of the game I would have regretted letting him join.  I like the idea of gear making up for otherwise useless recruitments.

DariusWolfe

I was, mostly, able to keep my pawns in bed while they were fighting the infection. The one idiot who decided he wanted a sandwich, got out of bed, collapsed immediately, and was rescued back to bed notwithstanding.

Unlike Mihsan, my immunity and infection were rising at similar rates, I was just about 10% or so behind on immunity; this was approximately true on 4-5 infections across 3 pawns. Initial bandages were done with herbal or no meds, except for my doc's injuries, but infections were treated with standard meds in all cases. Rooms were initially filthy as a lot of the initial care was going on while I was still dealing with the megaspider, but once infection and immunity were over 50, I micro'd the rooms clean. No sterile tile (I hadn't built a proper infirmary yet) just raw stone, but otherwise clean.

Also (seeing new posts), Re: stone bricks not giving crafting XP anymore, Ouch... That's usually what I'd use to get my suck-ass crafters up to some vague level of competence.