Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoyoteWAN

Sorry for back to back posts, but this is totally changing topics...

I was just hoping that in this release or a future one that crafting would be slightly redesigned where my colonists would not necessary have the same passion for smith, tailor, and craft type jobs.  Because quite frankly I cannot see someone interested in making clothes also thinking make guns or swords to be cool too.  Essentially even if they all use the same skill there passion should be based on type of work.

The other way you could change this is too have crafting changed to smithing, sewing, and crafting skills.

By the way Tynan keep up the fabulous work.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Rimrue on May 06, 2017, 05:51:37 PMI will point out, though, that spelopedes, wargs, and thrumbos are unique creatures. They do not already have other perfectly useful words to describe them. ;)

Warg actually isn't made up, at least by Tynan; Tolkien is responsible for popularizing the word, from an Old Norse word for wolf, and in a lot of contexts the term is just used to refer to giant wolves, AKA dire wolves.

Shit, maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Wargs may be about to go the way of the megatherium...

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: DariusWolfe on May 06, 2017, 06:30:36 PM
Shit, maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Wargs may be about to go the way of the megatherium...

Mehni will save us. He already made a mod that saves the glorious Megatherium from a paltry Megasloth demise

Zhentar

Regarding body part injuries, on Day 181 I have 11 colonists...

• Two still have all of their body parts (but both came with scars so their capacities still aren't 100%
  • Four have 100% manipulation
  • Five have 0% pain
  • Six have 100% sight

I'm definitely seeing organs injuries much more frequently than I was before. But that change I like - it makes sense that people getting shot in the torso get organ injuries. But it does up the risk of death since some organs are instant death if they're destroyed.

edit: and checking diffs, body part coverage was definitely changed in a way that would affect this. Fingers look like they have about 4x more absolute coverage, eyes about 2.5x.

Mehni

If you get hit, you'll likely get infected.

If one of those hits happened to get hit in the liver or kidney, you're dead.

Somewhat related: Is it me, or are raids bigger now?

Tynan

Quote from: Zhentar on May 06, 2017, 06:42:56 PM
edit: and checking diffs, body part coverage was definitely changed in a way that would affect this. Fingers look like they have about 4x more absolute coverage, eyes about 2.5x.

Yeah, I was thinking about it more and I did increase these coverages. I think the coverages there make sense in general, but I may have to reduce them just for game balance. At least on humans.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

duduluu

Oh, as a Chinese, I beg you to do not use quarter. Because "quarter 季度" and "season 季节" are similar and easily confusing in Chinese. :p

What about quadrant? There are 4 quadrant of the planet's orbital.
East-quadrant
West-quadrant
South-quadrant
North-quadrant

And what changed today update?
RimTrans translation tool for RimWorld
RimWorld-English original text for translating RimWorld
RimWorld-zh.com my translation team website

Limdood

really disappointed in the amount of nitpicking being done over the season/month hoopla.

The changes were made to reflect the accuracy of the GLOBE.  Anyone who noticed that Tynan added timezones to the globe and progressively creeping day/night cycle across the globe could plainly see he wants an accurate representation of the GLOBE, not just simple "its cold, its hot, its light, its dark."

The new names are odd, but completely intuitive.  I'm pretty sure EVERYONE seeing "Aprimay" is PERFECTLY aware that it intends to specify the time period encompassed by April and May.  Which means anyone significantly up the northern hemisphere is experiencing Spring, and anyone significantly in the Southern hemisphere knows is Fall.  They now accurately reflect seasons (if any) throughout the entirety of the globe, which is a big step for the "realism" crowd, and a minor inconvenience of relearning season names AT WORST for the "gameplay trumps all" crowd.

I like the step towards accurate representation of seasonal forces on a global scale, and the real-life relevance of the feel of the season names either being comfortable or uncomfortable depending on where a player lives in real life and where they settled on the planet.

duduluu

Seasons don't translate in date readout tip.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
RimTrans translation tool for RimWorld
RimWorld-English original text for translating RimWorld
RimWorld-zh.com my translation team website

Tynan

Quote from: duduluu on May 06, 2017, 08:51:27 PM
Seasons don't translate in date readout tip.

Already reported! Will be fixed.

Vlyxnol

Was there any work done on animal Carrying capacity in this build? (all animals only carry 75 items instead of whats listed under their descriptions for Alpha16)

Just curious, I know its still Alpha :)

Tynan

Quote from: Vlyxnol on May 06, 2017, 08:59:53 PM
Was there any work done on animal Carrying capacity in this build? (all animals only carry 75 items instead of whats listed under their descriptions for Alpha16)

Just curious, I know its still Alpha :)

Is this a bug you're reporting? Sounds like a bug, can you elaborate? I haven't heard of that.

Vlyxnol

Quote from: Tynan on May 06, 2017, 09:02:48 PM
Is this a bug you're reporting? Sounds like a bug, can you elaborate? I haven't heard of that.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=24751.msg253910#msg253910

I guess its not really a bug, the problem is pawns cannot carry multiple stacks.

MikeLemmer

I wonder if the early deaths from Infection and the multiple Construction failures are related. Do you think the game is checking for end events in the middle of things like infection, construction, etc?

I've also noticed people seem to be failing constructions more often, many times just a third or halfway through building it.

dv

Quote from: CoyoteWAN on May 06, 2017, 06:20:36 PM
Sorry for back to back posts, but this is totally changing topics...

I was just hoping that in this release or a future one that crafting would be slightly redesigned where my colonists would not necessary have the same passion for smith, tailor, and craft type jobs.  Because quite frankly I cannot see someone interested in making clothes also thinking make guns or swords to be cool too.  Essentially even if they all use the same skill there passion should be based on type of work.

The other way you could change this is too have crafting changed to smithing, sewing, and crafting skills.

By the way Tynan keep up the fabulous work.

I think you're unfairly limiting people here. If there's one thing "maker" culture has brought home for me, it's that once you take away the gender norms (like sewing being for women and machining being for men) and allow people to engage creatively, there are a lot of people who enjoy making anything at all.

And I'm one of 'em. From drapes to furniture; I build stuff.

Then again, maybe that's the difference between 1-teardrop passion and 2-teardrop passion.