Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Tynan on May 09, 2017, 03:22:24 PM
Sorry BlackSmoke - I forgot to set it live. The update is live now.

Skinnay - thanks for the feedback. Looking for more!

Thanks, loving all the updates. A17 is looking pretty great so far!

Splendid

Did Tynan address the 'issue' with infections & disease being too common? or is it intended?

Tynan

Quote from: Splendid on May 09, 2017, 03:41:06 PM
Did Tynan address the 'issue' with infections & disease being too common? or is it intended?

The change list is right there, so you can see everything that was addressed.

EDIT: I'm also asking that this thread remain for feedback, not open-ended suggestions. There's a whole forum for Suggestions!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

XenGrimm

With infections and diseases being much more severe a danger than before, might it be a good idea to adjust the immunity loss curve with old age?

ReZpawner

My only issue with the game currently is the "chased by pirates" event. Does anyone at all accept them? I keep getting Irwin A Useless, age 98, riddled with cancer, broken bones, asthma, lower back pain, wandering bladder and anal leakage asking me to defeat a bunch of pirates for him. Any chance that event could be buffed a bit? Let us take a look at the characters atleast? Or give us some that wouldn't be entirely useless?

Not_That_Guy

Just noticed the game dosent pause when a caravan gets to somewhere thats not 100% dangerous, EG a item stash, i just had 2 colonists nearly die because they where rushed by mad boomalopes after getting the to the item stash, that "may or may not be dangerous", i had been doing suff at my main base when i got the notification that a colonists needed rescue, swaped over and both where nearly dead

Would it be possible to have it so that the game pauses when it creates a new map for an encounter or arrival and display a notification about caravan arriving?

Zhentar

It says what the item stash is guarded by in the letter announcing it. I don't think it's displayed anywhere after that though, so if you miss it or forget what it said you're going in blind.

DariusWolfe

Except for when the letter says that they don't know what's guarding it. At least half of the ones I've seen have been like that.

Not_That_Guy

All mine except one have said they dont know what if anything is guarding the item stash, i go assuming there is going to be blood spilled but there isnt alot i can do if my guys are already dead before i even see them!

Naxdar

Is the wanderer event disabled? I like to play from scratch with a single colonist and it is a bit hard now to get new people. I played for a while and only got escape pods and refugees.

O Negative

Quote from: Naxdar on May 09, 2017, 06:54:43 PM
Is the wanderer event disabled? I like to play from scratch with a single colonist and it is a bit hard now to get new people. I played for a while and only got escape pods and refugees.
The base chance of a wanderer joining is set to 0.2, which is incredibly low compared to others.
RefugeePodCrash: 1.0
RefugeeChased: 2.5

Out of these three population increasing events, there's only a 5% chance of it being a wanderer joining you.

Mehni

Okay. So. More regular feedback.

My playstyle on Extreme definitely changed this Alpha. The first thing I spend my silver on is sterile tiles. I'm more cautious than before, though it hasn't helped much - firefights generally last a long time this alpha.

I haven't gotten to mid/late game yet because I start over every new update, but I have noticed one thing: Raiders bring absolutely bottom of the barrel gear. They're numerous (9 raiders - mostly scavengers and thrashers - vs 5-6 colonists) but the best equipment I've seen thus far was a shoddy 51% assault rifle. Most of them bring low durability machine pistols, shotguns, some incendiary launchers and terrible survival rifles. This is why gunfights last so long; nobody can hit shit. That's not necessarily because of low-skill shooters or clever AI, it's the inaccurate low-damage weapons. That's not a bad thing per se, but it does mean I now rush machining in hopes of producing better guns. It's really hard to gear up otherwise.

Infections are a lot more manageable this iteration 0.17.1533. I'm probably going to be vilified here - but it might be too easy now. I had 8 injured pawns (including prisoners) and over 2 dozen wounds. I had begun to expect at least 6 infections but only got 2. They all survived, even the 78-year-old. This was with so-so doctors treating in a mostly clean hospital with regular medicine. It's probably a good balance for the majority of players. I'll update when I play more. I wish there was a bit more time between the two levels of extreme infection, since they seem to follow each other up real fast. I play on speed 3 though.

Silver is a lot harder to come by. Traders don't bring as much as before - and they don't buy as much either. This'll be challenging, but it's a good change I feel.

The beep-boop sound is still the worst.

Jimyoda

Should building a snowman have a toil bar as almost every other action does? Without it a colonist looks like they're standing there doing nothing.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

ShadowTani

The game plays smoother for every patch now. :3

In regards to the infection nerf I was at first worried you might been a bit too generous as a lot of the complaints came from people that got used to A16 where it apparently was bugged out. I skipped that version pretty much (aside from a little feature testing) and it feels easier dodging them after yesterdays patch than it did in A15 where the ratio felt right. Infections was after all reasonably possible to avoid before if you kept the rooms where the injured pawns rested clean at all times, it just required a little bit of micro work until you got sterile floors and could dedicate a pawn to cleaning. Taking cleanliness seriously I've essentially been able to avoid a single case of infection on base so far. However, after further playing I felt the reduced rate made caravan missions a bit less devastating in regards to injuries. So at this point I think infections is too easily dodged at base, but have a reasonable rate outside the base. If there where easier ways to deal with cleanliness out in the wild then I'd put my vote for turning the rate a little bit up again.

As for infection severity, I think it was a bit too harsh before the patch, most of the time requiring at least one proper medicine in addition to any herbal medicine to avoid death. It wasn't terribly hard to deal with if you didn't run out of medicine imo, it just kept you on your toes in regards to ensuring your pawns didn't delay any treatments required. However, I think it's good that infections isn't such a stress as they where before, but I also think it's a shame medicine appear to no longer be needed for the job. I'd love to see more factors affecting the rates of infection and immunity honestly, but so far, for outside base infections the current severity situation seems reasonably scary, as opposed to impossible. I can't say much about on-base infection severity though because as I said earlier, I've so far managed to avoid infections entirely on the base.

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: O Negative on May 09, 2017, 07:20:16 PM
Quote from: Naxdar on May 09, 2017, 06:54:43 PM
The base chance of a wanderer joining is set to 0.2, which is incredibly low compared to others.
RefugeePodCrash: 1.0
RefugeeChased: 2.5

Out of these three population increasing events, there's only a 5% chance of it being a wanderer joining you.

Glad to see that. I typically disable it, as I want to control whether or not I took on another survivor. Randy liked to give them to me when I was struggling to feed the mouths that I had already.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.