Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zhentar

I just noticed that Randy's mtbDays was increased a fair bit. He was already a bit big-threat anemic, prone to long lulls without anything interesting happening; this will make that worse and make it even less likely to get two in short succession. Could Randy's ThreatBig weight be increased to compensate?

dbusse706

Amazing game you have here. I'm over 400 hours in since A15 and can't wait to see what else you have in store! I love the updates so far, and here are a couple balancing callouts I've noticed with A17.

I'm glad mining bases have been nerfed a bit, but I think they probably need to be nerfed a bit more. Deep cover is pretty amazing for heat and defense AND smooth floors give +3 to beauty. I think tile floors' beauty was changed from 2 to 1, but since smooth floors take no resources I feel like they should be 2 or 1 beauty... probably less than tile floors, really, because it's much easier to get good room stats with a bunch of +3s.

I wish there was a little more stat variety in the clothes in the game. I don't see much advantage of every making a t-shirt over a button-down, or a jacket over a duster. The small resource/work/stat difference isn't much. Maybe make the button-down more of a sweater and have it give a little more cold protection but put a heat debuff on it to make it not viable for hot biomes, for the duster make it not give any cold insulation (a wool duster has crazy stats in BOTH directions). Maybe nerf the parka a little too.

Could we get a hotkey for the environment display or change it back to the A15 style of having room stats and the beauty modifier as a separate tool?

I like the new growing changes and will require a rethinking of priorities on 10-day growing period tiles, but foraging seems overpowered. Mid-way through winter -30F on a boreal forest and there were dozens if not hundreds of raspberry plants. Didn't seem like I had to prepare for winter but could forage through it if I wanted.

Love the wild healroot, but seems like there was a lot (on a boreal forest, at least). I believe you already reduced infection rates. Might want to reduce spawn rate of healroot as a balance.

Keep it coming!!

XeoNovaDan

Hit chances for animals like big cats still seem out of proportion, see attached.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

yannisk

1. Those mountains over rivers/hills look weird. It should create a small valley when rivers cut through mountains. But the roads look nice. Like tunnels (though I doubt that was intended).

2. A "wimp" should not be able to also have the "brawler" trait (and vice versa) for obvious reasons.

YokoZar

Started a new rich explorer game on latest experimental.

My first colonist is Industrious and my second colonist is normal (not lazy), but he has the -5 "hard worker vs lazy" social opinion of her.  If this is intentional it should probably be in the tooltip for industrious.  My rich guy has 0 growing skills and managed to fail harvest 5 wild raspberry bushes in a row, which feels a little strange.

My second colonist is a biosphere manager who is an expert at growing but incapable of dumb labor, and plant cutting is a dumb labor.  I gave her growing zones to plant some strawberries since neither can cook, and she cuts down the trees that are in the way (and gets lots of useful wood from them).  This feels like an exploit, since otherwise my bad at growing first colonist would have to get the lumber -- but when they're in her growing area, she cuts the trees down very efficiently.  But it also feels like not an exploit, since it would be quite tedious to not have trees in the growing zones I set up for her.

So I'm torn between feeling like I should do something tedious (no growing zones in trees), and feeling like I'm cheating somehow (free tree cuts).  I could even plant trees with her and, while she wouldn't harvest them, she would happily harvest them if I switched the plant type to a different kind of crop (which I might do legitimately).

One option might be to break "dumb labor" into separate categories -- cleaning, hauling, plant cutting -- and then have backgrounds be incapable of them separately.  It feels strange when my super passionate about growing colonist can't harvest her own plants...unless she wants to plant something different there.

YokoZar

Colonists seem to automatically cut down trees that border a growing zone rather than are in the growing zone.  I think this is new behavior.

SURU

Quote from: YokoZar on May 10, 2017, 06:46:29 AM
Colonists seem to automatically cut down trees that border a growing zone rather than are in the growing zone.  I think this is new behavior.
I think it's old and I personally like it.
CraPC: AMD Phenom X3 8750 | Club 3D Radeon 7770 | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB RAM DDR2 2x2GB Kingston
Don't go this way!

ReZpawner

Isn't that because the trees object size or grow size or whatever is larger than the actual object though? Much like when you're planting trees, you'll notice a quite wide spacing between them.

YokoZar

I'm about 2 seasons in now, and have gone from 1 to 2 colonists with another 2 crash-landed.

I have received 2 opportunities to kill bandit camps and another 2 items stash ones.  There's no way I'm prepared for that yet.

I feel like these opportunities 1) shouldn't arrive so early, and 2) should probably require the communications console anyway.  I haven't even seen someone from the faction that's sent me 3 tips already.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: YokoZar on May 10, 2017, 08:38:54 AM
I'm about 2 seasons in now, and have gone from 1 to 2 colonists with another 2 crash-landed.

I have received 2 opportunities to kill bandit camps and another 2 items stash ones.  There's no way I'm prepared for that yet.

I feel like these opportunities 1) shouldn't arrive so early, and 2) should probably require the communications console anyway.  I haven't even seen someone from the faction that's sent me 3 tips already.

Iwonder if notifications like this could be tied to visitors/caravans/passing through events?

Mehni

Quote from: Tynan on May 08, 2017, 04:44:48 PM
Reduced raid strength and frequency overall (to compensate for new combat difficulties).

It feels like I'm playing Phoebe.

Day 77. The statistics tab says 9 major threats and 7 enemy raids.

It went from "My pawns don't have time to heal up between fights." to "I am bored. Let's go caravan or something."

tomay

Few things from A17:

I had colonists with right leg "torn off" and he was able to walk, bug or working as intended?

We get "caravan packing spot" but there is lack of zone or spot for trader's caravan.
Last trader went straight into my hospital with all their animals, they were going in and out over and over, making my hospital not so sterile anymore.

FCDetonados

Vintermorgon

Quote from: FCDetonados on May 10, 2017, 11:22:42 AM
intended

see page 17
I had to install two peglegs on a prisoner (both feet shot off) before I could release him. Appreciated the medical training!

Wanderer_joins

cassandra extreme, permadeath, crashlanded, tropical rainforest, day 75:

infections: i used herbal medicine at best, no sterile tile, got only one prisoner i just captured infected, 58 years old he developped immunity with herbal and lvl 11 doctor

combat: much more interesting to micro, higher skills matter, melee combat is fixed. smokepop belt are fun

quests: we get the notice really early for most of them, when you try to establish your base it's hard to think of fighting turrets to get a pool table, i still didn't venture out of my base since i would regret losing the colony due to being undermanned

siege: more intersting early when they assault your base after being hit

raids: overall more dangerous, you've to be really carefull with highly skilled raiders, so far out of six colonists one lost his left leg (glad he can still walk on it :) ). raiders bring bad weapons early,  ~60 days in iirc i started getting a few good weapons

infestation: you've to deal with them asap of keep them small or...

ships: nice to use bunkers again

fauna: it seems to be unlimited early game, but usefull to train your shooters

crops: it's been my main source of silver early game

pace of the game: slower due to the economy, which is rather a good thing