Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daguest

Quote from: DariusWolfe on May 17, 2017, 01:55:11 PM
I dunno that I agree w/ Daguest's comments. It just seems to me that it makes it more important to choose your crop choices based on your biome than previously.

As the growth times were, as I recall, increased by a percentage, then the already fast-growing plants were affected least, and the longer growing plants, like corn, were affected more. Of course, it does lead to the weird circumstance where rice is a good crop for colder climates, when it's usually associated with warmer, moister climates; On the flip side, Korea is f-ing freezing (at least when I was there, during the rice-drying season), and rice is a major staple, so maybe it does make sense.

Anyway, even with A16 values, corn is the least efficient (in terms of nutrition/day, assuming the values on the wiki are current) crop, though obviously this doesn't take into account things like the time spent sowing the fields, which is a factor; But given reasonably quick farmers, potatoes and rice are superior crops, and are even moreso in climates with short growth windows.
It makes the growing season in "harsh" biome irrelevant, because you can't grow anything in this period, and they will die afterwards.
I planted potatoes and corn. Potatoes were barely at 30-40% when cold happened. It made planting without greenhouse irrelevant entirely on non temperate biomes.

TrustyShoes

I am sorry I am at work and am not able to read through the entire thread or read all replies to see if this is being worked on but I believe the loss of limbs needs to be toned down a bit in A17.  I am playing on Cassandra Rough and it seems like if a pawn takes a couple of shots from almost any guy there's almost a guarantee of a loss of a limb.  I survived a decent size raid yesterday on my new colony only to have 5 of my pawns lose a limb, it's definitely more common for a pawn to lose limbs in A17 compared to A16.

Tynan

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm still integrating it, as you can see from the below changelog for the build I just pushed, version 1541.

More play feedback and play stories are desired!

-----

Some solid backstories are no longer marked for tribal since they don't make sense as tribals.
Quest incidents, which players can't reasonably do with just a few pawns, are less likely to impossible at low player population.
Reduced heat wave power a bit and clarified the call to action in the letter.
Cleaned up some duplicate xml for meals.
Manhunter pack incidents now never use thrumbos or insects. Single manhunters won't spawn with too few points (e.g. no more day 7 elephant attacks).
Chain shotgun generatecommonality -> 0.3
Wimp is now mutually exclusive with Brawler.
Fix: Discharged Soldier backstory doesn't adjust with name.
Clarify name of bill to cook packaged survival meal.
DefaultWaitInsteadOfEscapingTicks: 5h -> 10h
Fix: Most jobs which use CheckForGetOpportunityDuplicate() should allow taking things from a valid storage.
Fix: Pawns can sometimes wander in forbidden areas.
Stop caravans if all owning pawns are going through a mental break.
Move reserved-for-prisoners display code.
Fix: Graphical issues with transport pods built adjacent to other structures.
Add (reserved for prisoners) label in the float menu when appropriate.
Fix: Allowed areas sometimes affect paths even when the pawn doesn't care about allowed areas.
Fix: Party mood bonus is applied only at the party's end.
Fix: Penoxycyline affects immunity even if the pawn is already sick.
Fix: Wardens can sometimes cause 10jobs/10ticks errors while delivering food to prisoners.
Fix: PathFinder doesn't handle narrow allowed region tunnels very well.
Fix: Roads on the world map occasionally fall into the sea.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Panzer

Quote from: Tynan on May 17, 2017, 04:45:31 PM
Fix: Penoxycyline affects immunity even if the pawn is already sick.

Does that mean a pawn doesnt get an immunity boost anymore if he takes penoxy after the sickness is revealed? This could seriously hurt tribal scenarios, since it takes so long to get an economy going, especially on cold maps. Unfortunately I dont have much time at the moment to play/test this, would be cool if other people could report their experiences.

ReZpawner

Is it just my bad luck, or are the rates of ships\traders that carry bionic limbs a lot lower than normal in A17? Not one has had more than one, so far, and I haven't even seen an arm yet.

Bellicosity

Quote from: Tynan on May 17, 2017, 04:45:31 PM
Wimp is now mutually exclusive with Brawler.

Thank you a ton! Really appreciate this!

Neotic

okay is it me or are there more people with luciferiuim addictions. i got one from a escape pod and then another through a chase. Am i just unlucky? Im playing on casandra, some challange. I usally play randy random on rough though.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Dashthechinchilla

I noticed during a thunderstorm that the lighting flash powers up solar generators. I didn't get a chance to see if it actually generated electricity. I don't recall that before.

RageAge001

Quote from: Neotic on May 17, 2017, 10:35:49 PM
okay is it me or are there more people with luciferiuim addictions. i got one from a escape pod and then another through a chase. Am i just unlucky? Im playing on casandra, some challange. I usally play randy random on rough though.

I have yet to see any in A17, so it might just be you. Or it might just be me, its hard to say when it comes to anecdotal evidence.

On an unrelated note, I'm loving how much of this feedback is getting taken into account!

YokoZar

Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on May 17, 2017, 08:42:15 AM
Quote from: DropbearNinja on May 17, 2017, 07:41:58 AM
Really minor point; I claimed some ancient lampposts, cause why not. They're in the middle of the map, my settlement on edge. During a raid, as the raiders walking across map from other side, a couple stop and attack the ancient lampposts...

kinda pointless?
I had the same experience in a slightly older build. I marked all the barriers and lamp post for deconstruction  (not claimed) and the raiders stopped to destroy them.
This seems exploitable.

I feel like claiming should be automatic when your base starts touching the relevant structures rather than having to select each tile individually and press a button, but that's a feature request for another version.

Neotic

Quote from: YokoZar on May 18, 2017, 12:48:04 AM
Quote from: Dashthechinchilla on May 17, 2017, 08:42:15 AM
Quote from: DropbearNinja on May 17, 2017, 07:41:58 AM
Really minor point; I claimed some ancient lampposts, cause why not. They're in the middle of the map, my settlement on edge. During a raid, as the raiders walking across map from other side, a couple stop and attack the ancient lampposts...

kinda pointless?
I had the same experience in a slightly older build. I marked all the barriers and lamp post for deconstruction  (not claimed) and the raiders stopped to destroy them.
This seems exploitable.

I feel like claiming should be automatic when your base starts touching the relevant structures rather than having to select each tile individually and press a button, but that's a feature request for another version.
There's actually a tool that you can drag around unclaimed structures to claim them
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

giltirn

So in the latest build 4 of my guys get sleeping sickness at once and I have to micro for several game weeks to keep them alive; probably the least fun I've had in Rimworld to date. Then barely a few days later 3 guys get the plague (2 of which were still recovering from sleeping sickness). I micro'd the hell out of those plus administered penoxycycline but in the end had to cheat-edit the save file to keep them alive. Did this patch make disease much more common or did I just get really unlucky?

Also what does "Fix: Penoxycyline affects immunity even if the pawn is already sick." mean? It will no longer give an immunity boost to infected pawns? If so I really don't like this change; disease is lame enough already without making it even harder.

wyoian

Anyone else notice what seems to be a rather significant change to the quality of crafting curve with level? I've had my lvl 20 constructor make 40 beds and he got 0 masterwork+. I had my lvl 18 crafter (20 by end) make 10 plasteel longswords. Best he got was superior.

Awe

Quote from: wyoian on May 18, 2017, 01:53:48 AM
Anyone else notice what seems to be a rather significant change to the quality of crafting curve with level? I've had my lvl 20 constructor make 40 beds and he got 0 masterwork+. I had my lvl 18 crafter (20 by end) make 10 plasteel longswords. Best he got was superior.

Just unluck. Have 3/14 masterwork beds also got a legendary marble billiard at first try.

alexdgreat

Why are you hating crafters so much?
From a16 to a17 changed next:
Making joints - no crafting XP
Making drugs - crafting job who gave Intellectual XP, but no crafting XP
Stonecutting - crafting job who gave Construction XP, but no crafting XP
How do I must to level up Crafting in cheap way in such conditions?
Making hundreds of shoddy t-shirts, and wooden swords is wasted resources and time