[A17 Unstable] Coolers not cooling

Started by mattp84, May 02, 2017, 07:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattp84

Just grabbed the unstable from Steam, crashlanded scenario, all random members, random map location. 

As you can see, 4 coolers in that area and its still 25 Degrees inside. All set to -9, power all connected. No errors thrown to link at this time. Not sure what else is needed. I did not deconstruct and rebuild, nor start a new game. Figure it should work every time.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Calahan

Is it possible for you to post a save of this issue occurring? If you archive it you might be able to post it as an attachment (600kb limit). Otherwise you can use a third party service to host the file and post the download link (eg. Googledrive, Dropbox, Zippyshare).

mattp84

Here ya go, less then an hour play time, so should be relatively easy to sift through.

Calahan

Thanks for the save. I haven't activated my Steam copy yet (although guess I should really) so I haven't got access to A17 to check it myself, but I'm sure some helpful soul will check it and confirm the bug (or not if it's a non-bug).

Although a quick thought, have you tried saving and reloading? As sometimes things can get "stuck" and a reload is needed to fix them. That doesn't explain why it got stuck in the first place, but if you are looking for a possible solution then this is a quick pain free try.

mattp84

To be fair i did no troubleshooting outside of adding more coolers. Id just played for 3 hours on an A16 save and figured it was my way of being told to get off the pc for a bit, at least until the kids sleep.

** So after a save and restart the coolers did start working again. Going to try another start to see if its a constant issue.

TheXev

I replicated this issue on a seed I used in A16.  Coolers didn't work when I saved this.  I think I was far less then an hour in when this happened.. maybe not even 10mins in.

TheXev

Strange, shortly after restarting my game, the AC started working (but it didn't seem like it was right away).
PS, is this forum sentient? lol [plz see attached pic XD not related to topic, just funny as hell]

mattp84

Great now one we will have to "go missing" due to your discovery  :o lol

zeidrich

I had the same issue.  Decided to check on the debug inspector to see if I could figure it out.

First of all, I created a room.  Then, I created the walls and finally the cooler.

Here's a look at the inspector: http://imgur.com/a/QFI5S

Notice that prior to reload, the freezer room is bounded in the "Draw Room Groups" debug view.  However, also notice that the CellCount is 60923, which means that it thinks that the freezer is in the same room as the rest of the outside.  It's kind of in room limbo because it knows things like the fact that the first cell is 167,0,130, but treats it as being outdoors otherwise.

My guess is that this has something to do with building the cooler.

After reloading it acts normally.

zeidrich

Here's another album.

http://imgur.com/a/9uRSg

If you create a cooler, it makes the room part of the outside.  When you finish the cooler it doesn't properly finalize the room, it is a room in some ways, but it doesn't properly handle heat etc.  If you add a door on to it after the cooler is finished (or possibly partition or change the room in another way) it does finalize it and looks to have the normal heat transfer behavior. 

[e] However, it looks like the problem spreads in this case to the main room, as the main room now becomes "outdoors"

mattp84

I see what you are saying. By creating and closing off the room first then putting in the cooler its still seeing it as outside. Can you replicate that regularly or is it random?

zeidrich

I can replicate it pretty reliably. Just build a room (it might need to be connected to another room) and then put a cooler in it. 

mattp84

Good to know, thanks for going the extra mile on this.

XeoNovaDan

I can also confirm that this is indeed an existing bug with my savegame for A17 testing. Screenshots

ison