A17 Sun lamp

Started by er613, May 03, 2017, 01:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

er613

So... Sun lamp....

"Off for plant resting period"

So no more growing in snow maps? what am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

O Negative

Plants normally rest at night, and don't grow.

In the past, people would waste HUGE quantities of electricity in the hydroponics rooms, unless they had a mod or micromanaged their sun lamps.

A sunlamp that's "off for plant resting period" will still allow you to grow on any biome. There are no drawbacks, really :D

Unless, for whatever reason, you've been using sunlamps to illuminate your base :P

er613

The auto shut down at night is awesome but I am not referring to that.

The sun lamp did not light up through the winter because its not the season for growing.

O Negative

Quote from: er613 on May 03, 2017, 01:56:51 AM
The auto shut down at night is awesome but I am not referring to that.

The sun lamp did not light up through the winter because its not the season for growing.

That's odd! Was the room up to temp?

Update: I just tested this. The sunlamp works even when it's too cold outside (not season for growing)

Sounds like you may have encountered a bug, if you ask me. Maybe report it, and provide your save file for them to look at?

er613

KillTyrant

Ok sweet. I no longer need to try and micro manage my circuitry to keep my sunlamps on different cables than my hydroponics. Frees up a minion :D

RemingtonRyder

Down side, it noms a bit more power than it used to.

Blastoderm

EVEN more power? It was, what, second biggest power hog in the game?

Snownova

Quote from: Blastoderm on May 04, 2017, 07:59:25 AM

But it's only on about half the time, so the total consumption is lower I think.

Zhentar

It consumes pretty close to the same total amount of power per day. If you're powering it with solar panels (and not turning it off at night via micro/mod), there's a significant savings because you don't lose as much power charging & draining batteries.

Hans Lemurson

Quote from: Blastoderm on May 04, 2017, 07:59:25 AM
Sun Lamps are a bargain, even at high energy costs.  You get 100 tiles of sunless cropland, and it doesn't even require 100 tiles of solar panels to power.

The increased power costs probably make self-fueling tree farms impossible now though, which is fine.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

DanielLeal

Guys just to clear out there are several types of plants who can benefit from 24 hours lightsources and you can even afect that by changing the colour of the bulb for example green red and so on i see this change something sad since i got a mod that allows plants to grow 24 hours a day i would like to have an option to keep those on when i want and to turn them off if i ever what ( i never got issues with power )

Shurp

Well if you have a mod that makes plants grow 24 hours, find a mod that keeps the light on for 24 hours ;->
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

or use advance hydroponics which got an buildin lamp.