Prioritize hauling capability between stockpiles

Started by The Man with No Name, May 05, 2017, 12:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

Sometimes one needs to get stuff from one stockpile to another fast. If one stockpile has higher priority than another, colonists will eventually move stuff between them. Unlike items that aren't in stockpiles, one cannot right-click to order a colonist to prioritize hauling items between stockpiles. Instead, one currently has to use the "Delete Zone" function to un-stockpile the square one wants to move stuff from in order to be able to prioritize hauling from it.

Hans Lemurson

If I have a "general" stockpile where my medicine is being kept, and then I make a high-priority medicine stockpile in my hospital, I can select a pawn, right-click the medicine in the general stockpile, and order it to be hauled.  Occasionally this command will not be available (bug?  haven't been able to pin down cause), but eventually it is.

Pawns also by default take goods to the highest priority stockpile.  This has occasionally caused frustration when I have put an "Important" Steel stockpile next to my machining table, which if it holds 68 steel, will mean that my miner will only haul 7 of the steel he just mined, since that's the most that that stockpile tile can hold.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

The Man with No Name

Yesterday I was able to right-click on an item in one stockpile to prioritize hauling it to another, but usually this option isn't available. Similarly to you, I don't know what the circumstances need to be for this to be possible.

DariusWolfe

I've noticed that sometimes there's a delay in what the game thinks is "allowed" if you pause to give the commands, which I do a lot. Go heal this guy! Not assigned to doctor. Damnit, assign to doctor, now go heal this guy. Option still greyed out. Unpause-pause, now the option is available. I see this with stockpiles, cooking/building orders, etc.

ymc

Yeah, the delay gets me alot. The other thing is not remembering that stockpile 1 was already <priority x>, so when I set stockpile 2 to <priority x> all I did was make it equal. So I'll chase this issue for a while, check out my zones, and then realise it was just delayed.