Major quality of life: Let us mark wall construction on top of stones

Started by Ouroboros, May 06, 2017, 12:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ouroboros

Please Tynan! Let us mark wall construction on top of stones, automatically marking it for being mined then wall construction. The "planning layout" sucks for this because mining the room wall layers inside mountains also removes the planning blocks. 

It is a headache in micromanagement to go back and measure everything over several times once rooms are mined out if you have multiple rooms near eachother with a 1 block layer, because it turns into big empty areas.   

A very simple fix is to allow marking wall construction directly on top of stone, so that once a path/materials are available, your slaves... I mean colonists... can easily continue building the rooms.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Ouroboros on May 06, 2017, 12:48:28 AM
Please Tynan! Let us mark wall construction on top of stones, automatically marking it for being mined then wall construction. The "planning layout" sucks for this because mining the room wall layers inside mountains also removes the planning blocks. 

It is a headache in micromanagement to go back and measure everything over several times once rooms are mined out if you have multiple rooms near eachother with a 1 block layer, because it turns into big empty areas.   

A very simple fix is to allow marking wall construction directly on top of stone, so that once a path/materials are available, your slaves... I mean colonists... can easily continue building the rooms.

The possibly better option may be to have mining NOT remove the planning marks.

Texaskimo

That could be a problem if you are trying to use the planning tool to mark out areas to mine.

Possible solution: Have subsets of the planning tool you can use. The general planning tool is removed whenever you do any action on that tile, but there are several other sub-types you can use. For example a construction planning tool would be removed when you build something on that tile but would stay when you mine that tile.

DariusWolfe

ymc