[B18] cuproPanda's (Outdated) Mods

Started by cuproPanda, May 06, 2017, 05:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Cupro's Drinks for A18 bring back the water system? This will include new features and integrations as well.

Yes!
37 (63.8%)
No!
12 (20.7%)
Either way is fine.
9 (15.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

cuproPanda

Quote from: Love on May 26, 2017, 06:08:35 AM
The glowstone spawn rate still seems REALLY low. Not getting any exposed glowstone on several rerolls of mountainous maps. Can it be bumped up again?

I've played around 30 maps in the past 2 days (quicktest is awesome) and have seen it a few times, but not often. I took a cue from compacted machinery and bumped the numbers up to 1, while reducing the lump size to 1-3 and yield to 1. This works pretty well, as the glowstone is rare, but you are guaranteed to have it.

Quote from: Love on May 26, 2017, 10:08:55 AM
Oh, this is something I keep forgetting to bring up, but I actually think the hide beds should be an improvement over the normal beds, rather than the other way around.

Because they cost more resources? I don't understand why beds don't cost cloth to begin with, so I either play with Telkir's mods or edit the def manually. This is something I could do using the new ModSettings and Patch features, though. What I'm thinking is I'll have settings to choose between hide beds being better than vanilla, or making vanilla beds cost cloth if they don't already(mod change).

At the very least the beds could be equal to vanilla, but with more beauty.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

Love

Quote from: cuproPanda on May 26, 2017, 01:23:54 PM
The glowstone spawn rate still seems REALLY low. Not getting any exposed glowstone on several rerolls of mountainous maps. Can it be bumped up again?

I've played around 30 maps in the past 2 days (quicktest is awesome) and have seen it a few times, but not often. I took a cue from compacted machinery and bumped the numbers up to 1, while reducing the lump size to 1-3 and yield to 1. This works pretty well, as the glowstone is rare, but you are guaranteed to have it.

How many of them were mountainous maps? If it doesn't spawn exposed on a mountainous map, good luck finding it... Why make it so rare? Light is pretty important.

Quote from: Love on May 26, 2017, 10:08:55 AM
Oh, this is something I keep forgetting to bring up, but I actually think the hide beds should be an improvement over the normal beds, rather than the other way around.

Because they cost more resources? I don't understand why beds don't cost cloth to begin with, so I either play with Telkir's mods or edit the def manually. This is something I could do using the new ModSettings and Patch features, though. What I'm thinking is I'll have settings to choose between hide beds being better than vanilla, or making vanilla beds cost cloth if they don't already(mod change).

At the very least the beds could be equal to vanilla, but with more beauty.

I like the sound of that.

cuproPanda

There is currently an issue with the patching system of (probably) all mods using patches, including mine, which makes loading the game a lot slower. I'll be updating my mods later today to address this issue.

Quote from: Love on May 26, 2017, 01:30:38 PM

How many of them were mountainous maps? If it doesn't spawn exposed on a mountainous map, good luck finding it... Why make it so rare? Light is pretty important.

None of them were mountainous for the quicktest, since it spawns a tiny map that is flat or small hills only (or so it seems). The current map I'm playing in is mountanous/huge river, and I have none visible. This map was made prior to the commonality boost. I've actually been trying to quarry up some glowstones, so I see what you mean.

The glowstones should be rare because it eliminates the need to build lamps, which cost electricity. They cost silver to build, which offsets the price of free light, but they shouldn't be so common a large base can be entirely lit with them.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

Love

Sure, I understand that, but given Powerless makes it much harder to get electricity lighting going, not really being able to light my central rooms that don't really have window access is really a pain.

cuproPanda

Quote from: Love on May 26, 2017, 03:49:12 PM
Sure, I understand that, but given Powerless makes it much harder to get electricity lighting going, not really being able to light my central rooms that don't really have window access is really a pain.

Powerless doesn't make any electricity stuff harder, it just adds features for enhancing powerless play. Expanded Power makes them harder. For now, try this version. I'm going to take a look at the sky fallers (ship chunks) and maybe add in a meteorite event. I tested this version with 3 regular size mountain maps: map 1, 3 deposits; map 2, 2 deposits; map 3, 2 deposits. This was all what was viewable upon spawning. I boosted the commonality to 1.5, since 1.0 was still having spawns with none showing. The yield is only 1, but the lump size is 3-6 unless the terrain generator cuts a few off. This should allow usable lighting while still being relatively rare, preventing overuse.

How are the windows working for you? I've been getting flickering issues that I can't nail down. I'm pretty sure it's caused by the glow grid updating, since vanilla only has things turning on/off the priority might have been lowered. At first I thought it was only on larger maps, but after a few days in-game I was getting the same issue on a regular sized map

Love

Getting a single glowstone from shipchunks that spawn on the map would be one possible solution.

And the windows seem to be working for me but I haven't used them much yet.

pasghetti

do you think you can make an a16 version for expanded power?

cuproPanda

I decided to make a new texture for gneiss stone because it bothered me how it didn't have a banded look like real gneiss. Then I made a new texture for marble stone because that bothered me. Then I thought, why stop at two? I'll be doing new stone textures for all the stone types in the next version of Cupro's Stones! Most will be the same, but a few will have special looks to be more realistic. Unfortunately, once built into tables and stuff, they will have a smooth texture once again - but the stones and chunks will look good! Also, the mod will correctly integrate with Fluffy's Stuffed Floors on its own.

Quote from: pasghetti on May 26, 2017, 09:20:31 PM
do you think you can make an a16 version for expanded power?

Sorry, but that's a lot of work considering it's an outdated version. The little bit of time I have now needs to be spent focusing on the current versions and making sure they work properly.

pasghetti

Quote from: cuproPanda on May 26, 2017, 11:55:41 PM
Sorry, but that's a lot of work considering it's an outdated version. The little bit of time I have now needs to be spent focusing on the current versions and making sure they work properly.
oh, rip
if you have any spare time, do you think you can

cuproPanda

Minor updates for the mods correcting a few stats and fixing patches so they don't slow down the game upon loading. I added new graphics to Cupro's Stones for rock walls and chunks: Rocky, Granitic, Marbled, and Banded. The rocks look less cartoony now.

Also, the mods are now hosted on GitHub, which means no more scrolling through posts to get to the downloads! If you already know what a mod does, simply click the green version number on the main post to be taken to the download page, where you can (pending future releases) scroll through the different versions to see what has changed! This will also allow future players to roll back to a previous version of a mod if there is a change they don't like or would break their save, a bug is discovered, or they just want to play on an older alpha :)

Quote from: pasghetti on May 27, 2017, 08:07:54 PM
Quote from: cuproPanda on May 26, 2017, 11:55:41 PM
oh, rip
if you have any spare time, do you think you can

No promises, but I'll try. I am rather busy, but if I have some free time I'll do what I can.

Love

Quote from: cuproPanda on May 27, 2017, 08:09:48 PMNo promises, but I'll try. I am rather busy, but if I have some free time I'll do what I can.

I would not recommend it, there were a lot of changes made between A16 to A17, particularly for advanced mods like yours.

Dunno why people are being so stubborn to hop over to the new version.

GrumpyProgrammer

I really like the Powerless mod, except for the glowstone lighting. I understand the wish to balance things by making glowstone lamps take ridiculous resources like silver, but it's simply too expensive to be worth it and is heavily immersion breaking. Surely the relative rarity and difficulty in mining glowstone is balance enough? Why would you need to build a glorified holder out of silver when any other material would do better? It's not as if glowstone needs silver to work; the stuff is glowing already. Just make a cheap wooden stand to put some on. As it is, it's a pretty easy (if annoying) work around to add small 1x1 "storage" areas which only contain glowstone to areas which you want lit. This being the case, when I get around to needing light, I don't bother with glowstone and just go right to using electricity (which is easier and cheaper to use), which makes most of the rest of the Powerless mod obsolete. Why bother making charcoal and grilling now that you have access to power?

Increasing the difficulty of mining glowstone might be a better balance solution. If it's half as difficult as mining, say, Plasteel, that still is a substantial time investment and will discourage people from spamming glowstone everywhere. Another solution is to make glowstone lights slowly run down and require "refueling". If a glowstone light lasts, say, 2 months that's not an onerous gathering requirement but it still makes large bases impractical to light with only glowstone.

Love

Yeah, I'm not really happy with the glowstone solution either. It's already extremely rare to find, but needing silver on top of that really feels like a kick to the teeth, and I end up just feeling like I should rush electricity... which kind of defeats the purpose of using Powerless at all.

Plus there are maps where I just can't find the stuff. So if I don't get a map with visible glowstone I might as well just go for electricity ASAP. I'd love if they came from ship chunks.

Canute

But traders sometimes have glowstones to sell.
Yes, a glowstone lamp is pretty expensive.
But when you replace all electric lamps with them, you can spare 1-2 fueled generators and you got even more beauty.
They arn't a tribal light solution.

Love

What I would do is make it so there's incentive to switch to electric by making glowstone and glowstone lamps sell really well...