[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimrue

I just double checked and that is definitely the backstory name. Child story is "plague survivor." Could it be a new vanilla backstory added in A17?

dburgdorf

Basic Bridges has been updated:

- Basic bridges can now be built on mud, as well as over marsh or water.

- Added the ability to create "fishing spots" on bridges or piers for pawns to relax and catch fish.

- Improved (in my opinion, anyway) the bridge textures.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rimrue on May 14, 2017, 08:56:13 PMI just double checked and that is definitely the backstory name. Child story is "plague survivor." Could it be a new vanilla backstory added in A17?

Either it's new in a17, or I just missed it when I looked earlier. Either way, the problem is in fact with the pawn bio, and there's nothing I can do in the "lite" version of "Editable Backstories" that will fix it. The backstory is locked to Robert Burban, who is defined with gender "either" but with body type "male."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

AngleWyrm

Quote from: dburgdorf link=topic=32192.msg331724#msg331724The backstory is locked to Robert Burban, who is defined with gender "either" but with body type "male."

This is possibly a case of too much artistic freedom; can anyone describe a good reason to allow specifying gender "either" and body type "male?" There might be some exotic fringe scenario that works, but I suggest that supporting that possibility creates more errors than it's worth.

Body types run something like Thin, {Male, Female}, Fat and Hulk.
The problem is that one field holds two different types of information, which is a no-no for 1st normal form of data design. It's a no-no precisely because it produces this type of error, and 1st normal form is defined to prevent that error.

The solution is to extract gender-specific information from the body-type field so that there are two distinct fields, gender and body-type. For example:

<gender>Male | Female | Either</gender>
<bodyType>Thin | Normal | Fat | Hulk</bodytype>

This would also pave the way for future development where there could be a {Female, Thin} and a {Male, Thin}.
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

dburgdorf

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 15, 2017, 05:00:27 AMThis is possibly a case of too much artistic freedom; can anyone describe a good reason to allow specifying gender "either" and body type "male?"

If you want to complain about the game's database design, please do so on one of the "suggestion" forums. Ranting here won't accomplish anything. :)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Basic Bridges has been updated yet again.

- Added the ability to build bridges from stone instead of from wood. (Feedback on the stone bridge texture would be appreciated. I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with it yet.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Editable Backstories Lite has been updated:

- The filtering options added in the base version of the mod (to limit backstories by gender, to assign rarities, to create "filter sets," and the like) are now functional in the lite version, as well, though of course only for custom-added backstories.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Wild Cultivation has been updated to reduce the frequency of food crops appearing in the wild.

(I think there were some changes in plant generation that caused the plants added in this mod to show up much more frequently on a17 maps than they did on a16 maps. So I've attempted to adjust accordingly.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Love

I really feel like Wild Cultivation should require a research project since it's not something you can normally do in vanilla gameplay.

Dr_Zhivago

Quote from: Love on May 17, 2017, 08:43:01 PM
I really feel like Wild Cultivation should require a research project since it's not something you can normally do in vanilla gameplay.

The idea is to be able to harvest vanilla crops in the game. So you could truly be a hunter/gatherer for example. It goes really well with "Seeds Please"

dburgdorf

Quote from: Love on May 17, 2017, 08:43:01 PMI really feel like Wild Cultivation should require a research project since it's not something you can normally do in vanilla gameplay.

I suppose you could justify adding a research requirement for cultivating plants that you can't cultivate in vanilla, but I don't honestly see much point to it, as most of those plants are primarily decorative, anyway, except for cacti, which just give you another option (not particularly better or worse than growing trees) for generating wood.

But it really wouldn't make any sense at all to require research in order to have plants grow in the wild, which is frankly the major change the mod makes from the vanilla game.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Mitz

Hi!
i have noticed your bridge mod (for A17) has stopped working and has started corrupting my game.
i do not know why, but i cannot load the game, nor can i get an error log, but through tough testing with mods that don't cross paths, i have come to a conclusion that you mod has started breaking games (steam version)
or is this using hugslib? if it is, it could be because it's outdated.
i love your bridges but i think i have to either move to bridgello or no bridges at all to cope with the tremendous ammounts of bugs.
thanks for the consideration.
Meow~
It's sad autism's an insult, then i must be an insult.
and my cat also must be an insult, as well as every other cat in the universe.
space cats.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Mitz on May 18, 2017, 05:42:06 PMi have noticed your bridge mod (for A17) has stopped working and has started corrupting my game.

Anything in the way of more specific information would be helpful. I mean no offense, but nobody else has reported any trouble, and a vague report of unspecified problems which might (or might not) have anything to do with my mod doesn't really give me much to go on.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Mitz

Can't open game, can't get to "title screen", can't open error log, and (then) a spam of nonsensical errors.
maybe you've switched the A16 code with the A17 code for terrain? i removed your mod, and inserted a mod w/ A16 tile coding, and i got the same errors.
could that be the case?
It's sad autism's an insult, then i must be an insult.
and my cat also must be an insult, as well as every other cat in the universe.
space cats.