[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dburgdorf

Quote from: ymc on May 31, 2017, 12:16:03 AMMoving a pawn while fishing leaves the fishing pole in place until something else walks past it.

I've been aware of this issue for a while, but haven't yet figured out how to solve it. The rest of your points have all been addressed.

Thanks for the useful feedback! :D
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Regarding "Basic Bridges":

I slowed down fishing-related skill gain, but I'm still not happy with the idea that fishing causes pawns to get better at shooting. It makes sense for fishing to be a "hunting" work activity, but at the same time, it really makes no sense for fishing to base its success upon or provide benefits to either shooting or melee skill.

But I absolutely don't want to tackle creating a whole new skill and a whole new work type just for one fairly trivial activity.

Should I just leave it as is, and ignore the less-than-perfect fit between skill and activity?

Should I switch fishing to use a different existing skill and work type (perhaps the "Animal" skill)?

Should I keep fishing as a "hunting" activity, but eliminate any skill gain from it, so that it depends upon hunting skills but doesn't benefit them? (It'd still be a joy activity for those with passion in those skills.)

Should I do something else I haven't thought of yet?

Feedback would be appreciated.  :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

DariusWolfe

make it a minor joy activity, and remove skill gain entirely; That's my vote.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: DariusWolfe on May 31, 2017, 10:50:20 AM
make it a minor joy activity, and remove skill gain entirely; That's my vote.

Mine too.
Providing food and joy at the same time, without endangering a pawn ..  are we still playing Rimworld here ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on May 31, 2017, 12:13:37 PM
Providing food and joy at the same time, without endangering a pawn ..  are we still playing Rimworld here ?

Hmm.  Maybe I should add a random chance of the pawn impaling him or herself with a fishing hook and bleeding out on the pier, leaving a mess for the colony's most cleanliness-obsessed pawn to clean up?

I *could*, in theory, actually do something like that....  :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

timeandtherani

Just FYI that I discovered you can't put paintings from the mod "Additional Joy Objects" on walls that have been smoothed.

dburgdorf

Quote from: timeandtherani on May 31, 2017, 01:57:39 PMJust FYI that I discovered you can't put paintings from the mod "Additional Joy Objects" on walls that have been smoothed.

I'll make a note to look into that, but it very likely falls into the "Other mods may not recognize non-vanilla walls, and there's probably nothing I can do about it" category. :(

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

DenVildeHest

Quote from: dburgdorf on May 31, 2017, 12:03:28 AM
Quote from: DenVildeHest on May 30, 2017, 11:51:05 PMI've got a funky bug related to your smooth walls....

If you could narrow down which other mod seems to be triggering the problem, it would help tremendously in figuring out why it's happening. ;)
Alright I'll get right on it!
The culprit is Map rerolls
I'll notify creator of that mod as well.
Edit: this is his reply:
QuoteThis issue is caused by the approach the game takes to saving walls, stone, and similar things as it tries to compress them down. Changing the order of your mods mid-game can mess up these compression maps, if a mod makes use of them.
What Smooth Walls could do is set saveCompressible to false- wouldn't be as efficient, but the walls would work regardless of mod order changes.
Hope this helps.

Rimrue

Give it the same skill gain as horseshoes. I don't see how pitching horseshoes makes you a better shooter either. Lol

dburgdorf

Quote from: Rimrue on May 31, 2017, 04:03:11 PMGive it the same skill gain as horseshoes. I don't see how pitching horseshoes makes you a better shooter either. Lol

Playing horseshoes increases shooting skill? Seriously? I had no idea.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

timeandtherani

"...I'll make a note to look into that, but it very likely falls into the "Other mods may not recognize non-vanilla walls, and there's probably nothing I can do about it" category."  (sorry I don't know how to quote properly)

No worries! I wasn't looking for a fix, just giving you a FYI.  :)

notfood

For WildCultivations, in the case of SeedsPlease you can make a wild plant to drop a certain seed on harvest if the ThingDef's blueprintDef is the seed's defname. It doesn't matter what the seed will produce.

Could be added to them through xpath if seedsplease mod is detected. It could also be done as separate addon for SeedsPlease+WildCultivations.

notfood

For the fishing task, you may want to grab then drop the item so they autostack. They are being placed in the tile under the colonist as 1 on 1 on 1 and so on and it's not desirable.

Something like this:

private Toil Drop() {
Toil toil = new Toil ();
toil.initAction = delegate {
Pawn actor = toil.actor;
Thing objectThing = actor.jobs.curJob.GetTarget(objectTI).Thing;

actor.carryTracker.TryStartCarry (objectThing, objectThing.stackCount);
actor.carryTracker.TryDropCarriedThing(actor.Position, ThingPlaceMode.Near, out objectThing);

actor.jobs.EndCurrentJob (JobCondition.Succeeded);
};
return toil;
}

tmo97

I've been mentally asking someone to please make a stone wall mod. I don't understand why all colonists have such an aversion to natural stone. It's not ugly, it's beautiful to live in a carpeted cave. If you can break entire blocks, why can't you make those walls a bit less dirty? If you can smooth a floor, why not a wall? Thanks. :)