[A17] Rainbeau's Mods - Bridges, Backstories, Smooth Walls, Terraforming & More!

Started by dburgdorf, May 06, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 05, 2017, 02:58:52 PM
- Shellfish traps will now be reduced in efficiency if other traps are in close proximity to them.
Let me guess, you can't prevent that the traps blueprints are placed next to each other.
Once they are build the restriction works.

DariusWolfe

dburgdorf

OK, one more minor bug fix:

- Shellfish trap blueprints, as well as already-constructed traps, will now block construction of new traps within a six-tile radius. (That's how the traps were supposed to have been working all along.)

Quote from: Canute on July 05, 2017, 03:51:46 PMLet me guess, you can't prevent that the traps blueprints are placed next to each other. Once they are build the restriction works.

Thanks for pointing out the oversight. ;)

Traps have to have at least six tiles between them. But if they're fewer than about 20 tiles apart, they will each operate a bit less efficiently than if they were all alone.

Quote from: DariusWolfe on July 05, 2017, 03:57:32 PMIs it really fair to continue calling this Basic Bridges?

Yeah, my projects do have a tendency to grow rather far beyond my original intentions or expectations.... :D
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Last update: 9/5/2017

After working with RimRue for a while on the base version of "Pawns Are Capable!," I decided to try a slightly different approach. This mod is the end result.

Instead of replacing incapabilities with traits, this version of the mod simply changes the way in which the game handles incapabilities. On the pawns' character tabs, you'll see that the "Incapable of" list has been replaced with a list of "Hated work types." These types of work are marked in amber on the work tab, and aren't assigned by default. But they can be assigned if necessary, as any pawn can be assigned to any type of work. Be aware, though, that if you assign a pawn to do hated work, there's a mood penalty (and eventually movement and even manipulation penalties) that will only grow worse the longer the assignment lasts.

- Rainbeau Flambe (dburgdorf)

Steam Workshop Link

Dropbox Link

Compatibility:

"Pawns Are Capable!" can safely be added to a game in progress. It's probably also safe to remove from a game, but I'd recommend making sure before you remove it that none of your pawns are assigned to "hated" work types or have lingering mood debuffs from such assignments.

Credits:

Obviously, credit goes to RimRue for the idea and for allowing me to assist in the development of her original mod.

The mod utilizes Pardeike's "Harmony Patch Library." (No additional download is required, as the library is included with the mod.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

dburgdorf

Pawns Are Capable! ("No Traits" Version) has been updated:

- In addition to mood debuffs, hated work assignments now also penalize movement and, eventually, manipulation.

- The lingering "was assigned to hated work" debuff now lasts a minimum of one hour. (Otherwise, it still lasts for half as long as the assignment, to a maximum of one day.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

wwWraith

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 07, 2017, 01:02:11 AM
This mod is not currently compatible with Fluffy's "Work Tab" mod. I'm hoping to fix that in the near future.

Is it just highlighting or something more? I want to use this version, but afraid of this note :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

dburgdorf

Quote from: wwWraith on July 12, 2017, 07:00:15 AM
Quote from: dburgdorf on July 07, 2017, 01:02:11 AM
This mod is not currently compatible with Fluffy's "Work Tab" mod. I'm hoping to fix that in the near future.

Is it just highlighting or something more? I want to use this version, but afraid of this note :)

His work tab mod literally won't work right now in conjunction with the "no traits" version of PAC, because we're apparently making incompatible changes to a particular section of code that handles the "drawing" of the tab. It hopefully won't be hard to track down, and I'm going to try to deal with it over the weekend, if not sooner, but right now, I'm afraid it's one mod or the other. :(

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

admiralKew

@dburgdorf, do you think that perhaps deconstructing poured concrete floors and walls, as well as reinforced concrete should output crushed rocks?

Also, I'm not yet 100% familiar with the tech tree, but I think that you should be able to make crushed rocks at the stonecutter's bench, so if there's another bench added that allows that, feel free to disregard my $0.02!

SpaceDorf

Quote from: admiralKew on July 12, 2017, 01:05:49 PM
@dburgdorf, do you think that perhaps deconstructing poured concrete floors and walls, as well as reinforced concrete should output crushed rocks?

That sounds like a reasonable Idea

Quote from: admiralKew on July 12, 2017, 01:05:49 PM
Also, I'm not yet 100% familiar with the tech tree, but I think that you should be able to make crushed rocks at the stonecutter's bench, so if there's another bench added that allows that, feel free to disregard my $0.02!

Yes, Fertile Fields Research allows you to build a Rockmill which allows you to create crushed rocks and some more stuff.
But I don't know from the top of my head if its the second or third tier.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

dburgdorf

Pawns Are Capable! ("No Traits" Version) has been updated again. It's now fully compatible with Fluffy's "Work Tab" mod.

(A lot more recoding was required than I'd originally expected, so there are actually a number of behind-the-scenes changes, but as far as users are concerned, nothing's really any different.)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

wwWraith

Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

lorebot

I noticed an issue earlier with the No Traits version of PAC. I have a pawn that is non-violent, has a penalty for being equipped with a weapon. When a wolf started attacking one of my huskies the non-violent pawn was the closest to the fight so in an effort to save my dog I drafted him and tried to order him to attack the wolf with his bare hands and the right click menu said the colonist was incapable of combat because of the non-violent trait. I'm pretty sure that the original PAC wouldn't have given that error, the colonist just would have taken a mood penalty for being in combat, but I'm not certain that's the case...it's been a long time since I've had a non-violent pawn but I'm pretty sure PAC allows them to be drafted and ordered to fight bare handed.

dburgdorf

Quote from: lorebot on July 14, 2017, 04:52:57 AMI noticed an issue earlier with the No Traits version of PAC.

Yeah, the "incapable of violence" thing is a bit of a problem area, since unlike the other incapabilities, it doesn't link directly to specific work assignments.

In the base version of PAC, non-violent tendencies for all intents and purposes simply disappear. A non-violent pawn will complain if forced to carry a weapon, but won't suffer any detriment *unless* actually armed, even though he or she can and will attack enemies or engage in social fights or whatever just like any other pawn, even if unarmed.

In the "no traits" version, I tried to restrict things a bit more. There are a lot of things which, in the vanilla game, a non-violent pawn can't do. With the "no traits" version of PAC, there is one and only one of those things which a non-violent pawn who doesn't have a weapon can do, and that is... equip a weapon.

In other words, with the "no traits" version of PAC, a non-violent pawn will behave exactly as in vanilla, *unless* he or she is armed. But a non-violent pawn who *is* armed will be capable of any sort of violent action, while of course suffering detriments for being armed.

I realize it's not a perfect solution, but it seems like a reasonable compromise. As always, though, feedback is welcome. ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

lorebot

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 14, 2017, 10:55:25 AM
Quote from: lorebot on July 14, 2017, 04:52:57 AMI noticed an issue earlier with the No Traits version of PAC.

Yeah, the "incapable of violence" thing is a bit of a problem area, since unlike the other incapabilities, it doesn't link directly to specific work assignments.

In the base version of PAC, non-violent tendencies for all intents and purposes simply disappear. A non-violent pawn will complain if forced to carry a weapon, but won't suffer any detriment *unless* actually armed, even though he or she can and will attack enemies or engage in social fights or whatever just like any other pawn, even if unarmed.

In the "no traits" version, I tried to restrict things a bit more. There are a lot of things which, in the vanilla game, a non-violent pawn can't do. With the "no traits" version of PAC, there is one and only one of those things which a non-violent pawn who doesn't have a weapon can do, and that is... equip a weapon.

In other words, with the "no traits" version of PAC, a non-violent pawn will behave exactly as in vanilla, *unless* he or she is armed. But a non-violent pawn who *is* armed will be capable of any sort of violent action, while of course suffering detriments for being armed.

I realize it's not a perfect solution, but it seems like a reasonable compromise. As always, though, feedback is welcome. ;)

I just wasn't sure if it was intended behavior or not and I was a bit miffed that it cost my dog her back leg...the wolf bit it off before any of my other colonists could get there. I would be less upset about it if there had been a way for my colonist to pick up and carry away my dog, literally putting himself between the wolf and the dog. Even a non-violent person would be capable of being a meat shield for a good purpose...he's bonded with that dog after all, he wouldn't just stand by and watch as the wolf ripped off the dog's leg. Sadly you can't 'rescue' a pawn that's not 'downed' so that option isn't available...though this isn't the first time I wished it was. Many times I've had colonists with mental breaks wander off into danger and my only option was to try to arrest them so I could bring them back to safety, which they almost always reject and go berserk over. If I could just send someone to 'rescue' them it'd be so much better.