Why can't I view the game's assets in GIMP?

Started by The Man with No Name, May 07, 2017, 03:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

I think the game's "high-beauty" carpets are a bit dull and feel that the beauty-neutral wooden floor is much more visually appealing. I was therefore thinking of modding the game's carpet graphic textures, by giving them a pattern or something, to make them look nicer.

I have followed the instructions set out in this thread, including installing the DDS plugin, but opening the .dds files in GIMP just produces images like this:

Any ideas as to what's happening here and what's going wrong?

dburgdorf

I uploaded all the a17 textures the other day. You can find them here.

What finally worked for me in regard to getting the textures directly was using Asset Bundle Extractor's "export to .png" plugin option. Everything else I tried resulted in the same corrupted files you're seeing.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

The Man with No Name

I wasn't sure what "Asset Bundle Extractor" was, so I googled it plus "rimworld" and found a thread from this forum discussing the same issue, found here.

So "Asset Bundle Extractor" is just a different program to do a similar thing to what "Unity Assets Explorer" does? I downloaded it, but my antivirus software deleted it.

I found a post containing a link to what I presume is the A16 art at the top of this page. Will that do?

Here is the basic carpet texture from that file:

--------------------------

EDIT: Also, anyone have any idea of what size this texture might be in game squares?

dburgdorf

Quote from: The Man with No Name on May 07, 2017, 04:31:19 PMI found a post containing a link to what I presume is the A16 art at the top of this page. Will that do?

Odds are, the carpet graphic hasn't changed. But my previous message contained a link to a message in which I'd provided the a17 textures.  :D

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

The Man with No Name

Quote from: dburgdorf on May 07, 2017, 05:49:12 PM
Odds are, the carpet graphic hasn't changed. But my previous message contained a link to a message in which I'd provided the a17 textures.  :D

Yeah, I've played my whole current game in A16, and, since I'm most of the way through, will probably stick to it.

dburgdorf

Quote from: The Man with No Name on May 07, 2017, 05:53:43 PMYeah, I've played my whole current game in A16, and, since I'm most of the way through, will probably stick to it.

My apologies. Since the a16 textures have been available for download for months, I assumed the textures you were trying unsuccessfully to access were the new a17 textures. Obviously a faulty assumption on my part.  ;)

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

jamaicancastle

All floor graphics occupy 16x16 in-game squares, and then tile.

Edit: so naturally I read this thread, answer it, and then read your other thread where you found out the same thing. Well, now you know twice.