Hold my hand as I get creative with carpets

Started by The Man with No Name, May 07, 2017, 05:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Man with No Name

As I mentioned in another thread, I think the game's "high-beauty" carpets are a bit dull and feel that the beauty-neutral wooden floor is much more visually appealing. I was therefore thinking of modding the game's carpet graphic textures, by giving them a pattern or something, to make them look nicer.

I have located the game's carpet texture, reproduced below:

The carpet graphic is 1024x1024 pixels. From reading around, I think that a game square is 64x64 pixels, but that it may allow for a larger-sized graphic by automatically resizing it. So it may be that the image above represents a square of 16 by 16 game squares, or it could be just a single square.

Perhaps the best way to find out would be to test-draw on the carpet graphic and then see how it is reproduced in-game.

At this stage, I am lost and need somebody to hold my hand. I've looked at the mod tutorials on the wiki, but still don't know how to create a mod to insert my modded texture into the game.

Any ideas?

AngleWyrm

Might make a border trim:
  • center piece, to be placed where all adjacent tiles are carpet
  • border trim, rotate-able to be placed north, south, east or west of a center carpet
  • corner trim, rotate-able to be placed with a border on two sides, E&S, E&N, S&W and W&N
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

dburgdorf

Quote from: The Man with No Name on May 07, 2017, 05:00:46 PMSo it may be that the image above represents a square of 16 by 16 game squares, or it could be just a single square.

Terrain/floor graphics are not "squashed" into single game tiles. Rather, they're much larger than single terrain tiles in order to avoid obvious repetition in the look of the floor or ground.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

The Man with No Name

Quote from: AngleWyrm on May 07, 2017, 05:18:26 PM
Might make a border trim:
  • center piece, to be placed where all adjacent tiles are carpet
  • border trim, rotate-able to be placed north, south, east or west of a center carpet
  • corner trim, rotate-able to be placed with a border on two sides, E&S, E&N, S&W and W&N

That's probably getting a bit more complicated than I was seeking to do. There are some interesting-looking carpets mods already:

Carpets+

MoreFloors

Area Rugs

This last mod adds other things like two new crafting benches to make the carpets, while I'm looking for something more basic in just having different graphics for the vanilla carpets.

I could just download one of these and then substitute my own graphic for the mod's graphic and use the mod as a surrogate for my own experimental purposes.

The Man with No Name

Quote from: dburgdorf on May 07, 2017, 05:46:27 PM
Terrain/floor graphics are not "squashed" into single game tiles. Rather, they're much larger than single terrain tiles in order to avoid obvious repetition in the look of the floor or ground.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I've read that carpets are 256x256 pixels, so it may be that the 1024x1024 texture graphic represents a 4x4 square. Will probably have to test it to be sure.

-----------------------------------------

NEW POST: Which looks most beautiful? From top to bottom: vanilla "high-beauty" carpet, vanilla wood floor, Carpets+ carpet.

------------------------------------------------------------

2ND NEW POST: Here's the texture image from the Carpets+ mod. It's the same size as the vanilla carpet graphic, 1024x1024, and so it looks as though it represents a 16x16 square.

keylocke

i think that the 1024 image is like "masked", and each floor tile (64x64) you build will slowly unmask the rest of the 1024 image. (total of 16x16 floor tiles)

you can use a repeating tile (64x64) and mix it up a bit if you like in the 1024 image. (to avoid obvious repetition) however, repetition is not entirely a bad thing if that's the effect you want (or if you're lazy like me).

it just means you need to create a 64x64 pattern (easy peasy) and then use it to fill up the entire 1024 image. then you can add variations in the 1024 image if you want. (just make sure it tiles properly too)

The Man with No Name

Yeah, so presumably one could create a giant 16x16 non-repeating pattern as long as the edges matched up.

I've been having a look at the Carpets+ mod. The nice design in the image above is for special carpets requiring synthread, devilstrand or hyperweave, and only available in three colours (light blue, turquoise, red), while the regular carpets, available in several colours, have a less-appealing tartan design. I've swapped the images in the mods folder, though, so the nice graphic is available for all carpets. I've included a screenshot showing all the different colours with the nice design. Personally, I tend to like neutral non-defining colours for interior design, so I quite like the cream one. So I might just use this modified mod for now as its a nice enough texture.

EDIT: Missed out a couple of colours.