Positive mood bonus for defeating a raid

Started by Kermack, May 08, 2017, 03:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edixo

Have it be only when the raiders outnumber your colonists.

Won Difficult Battle, +10 mood, lasts 3 days.

"We won with the odds against us. That'll teach them a lesson!"
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

zeidrich

I think a bit of a problem is a raid is a bit of an abstract concept.  You aren't always happy about defeating a raid because a "raid" could be anything from a single person, or it could be 40 guys with power armor and charge blasters.

I think alternatives like

• The attacker who attacked me was killed (+x)
  • I killed my attacker (+x)
  • I killed an attacker who attacked a colonist (+x)
  • We frightened away an attacker that I hurt (+x)
  • An attacker left with our goods (-x)
  • An attacker kidnapped a colonist (-x)

My goal here is that if you have an attack, and you sit inside your base and automated defenses wipe them out, it's pretty much neutral.  You will ultimately get a temporary negative for cleaning up the bodies.  But as your pawns weren't at risk or involved, they don't get any bonuses.

On the other hand, if you are engaged in combat with the opponent and you win, or you get revenge, or you cause them to flee, then you get a mood bonus.  But if you are sick in bed while the rest of the colony does that, you don't really get a mood bonus or loss.

You could take it one step further, and assign some hediff or something to someone who kills an opponent and while they're under this "exhilarated" hediff, they might tell stories to other people that give them a bonus, similar to the way that the "kind" trait works.  So the guy sick in bed might not get excited about winning the raid, but when the sniper that took out the bandit leader comes to tell his story, then he gets a bit of a mood bonus.

But a straight up "We defeated a raid, +10 mood" is unnecessary, uninteresting and not very realistic.