Cassandra vs Randy: Which is more Difficult?

Started by ArguedPiano, May 09, 2017, 05:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArguedPiano

I was watching a stream yesterday and they were saying how Randy is easy compared to Cassandra. I would have thought the opposite as you could receive multiple major events in short succession, whereas Cassandra would be predictable and spaced out.

So what are your thoughts?

Lately in my playthrough Randy has been very kind on the raids and seems to have a major drop pod fetish. Perhaps they are right...
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Shinzy

Cass ramps up at a steady rate pumping out raids at steady intervals (by my experience, it may have changed cause I rarely play with her anymore)
whereas Randy is.. well random and you *could* get totally ruined by strange chain of events but it hasn't happened to me nearly ever. Also he don't seem to have such a strict population cap either

ArguedPiano

Quote from: Shinzy on May 09, 2017, 05:51:09 PM
Also he don't seem to have such a strict population cap either

That is another good point! At 25 pawns I have yet to capture a prisoner that has a recruitment chance higher than 85. My population has been steadily, and easily increasing...

Panzer

I would say Cass is harder, with the constant raids and all, and Randy makes for more interesting stories. 2 or more raids at the same time or in quick succession might end you or play into your hands, raiders fighting each other happens more often than you think.
I once had 2 sieges almost simultaneously, and they were closer to each other than to my base, watching them blowing each other up was pretty hilarious ;D

Mehni

Cassy actively tries to kill you. She's upfront about her intentions.

Randy, on the other hand, will either try to kill you by overcompensating or by boring you to death.

Zhentar

Every 11 day cycle, Cass will send 1 to 3 (usually 2) "Big" threats at you in relatively short succession. Phoebe will send 1 "Big" threat every 18 day cycle. Randy has no cycle; in A16 he'd send one big threat every 9 days on average. It looks like in A17 his event frequency has been reduced and it should be closer to 12 days on average (disclaimer: I haven't checked if any code changes affect this, only the XML).

iceteazz

Quote from: ArguedPiano on May 09, 2017, 05:45:39 PM
I was watching a stream yesterday and they were saying how Randy is easy compared to Cassandra. I would have thought the opposite as you could receive multiple major events in short succession, whereas Cassandra would be predictable and spaced out.

So what are your thoughts?

Lately in my playthrough Randy has been very kind on the raids and seems to have a major drop pod fetish. Perhaps they are right...

_ Cassy will steadily increase the difficulty of raids, and all events are pretty much " preditable " With Randy, it's completely random, you can have a long long time live in peace and have buff, but one beautiful day he just goes nuts and throw you a destructive combo of bad events that can ruin almost 9/11 Rimworld's base if unprepaired or not caution enough.

ArguedPiano

Alright. What I'm taking away from this is Randy has the potential to be difficult if he wants to, whereas Cassandra is consistent difficulty from game to game.

Calahan

From around alpha 8 or 9 onwards I only ever played Cassandra at the highest setting. Then for A14 I thought "I hear lots of people praise Randy so lets try him" at the highest setting. So I tried him for one game... and I quit the colony* within a year because I was bored out of my skull. I found the (potential) gap between events absolutely mind numbing. I'm sure if I had kept playing he would have hit me with a sequence of events that hurt, but by that point I likely wouldn't have been awake to notice them anyway.

So I'm pretty sure I'll be a Cassandra player forever now, and likely won't change unless Tynan makes some serious alterations to the storytellers that either forces me to, or entices me to stray.

* I know I could have changed storyteller instead of quitting, but I wasn't enjoying that colony anyway, primarily due to the lack of events up to that point, so my motivation to continue had already gone.

Ukas

Cassandra is more difficult for sure. Predictability bores the hell out of me, so I play Randy only. If it starts to feel boring I'll send out a caravan and raid some place, also I use camping mod which increases the chance of something happening every time the caravan rests.

NinjaDiscoJew

I heard Cassandra trys to limits the amount of colonist you have.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: NinjaDiscoJew on May 10, 2017, 02:13:55 PM

Cassandra and Phoebe both have the same, much lower target number of colonists. Forget the actual range numbers.

iceteazz

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on May 10, 2017, 02:27:31 PM
Quote from: NinjaDiscoJew on May 10, 2017, 02:13:55 PM

Cassandra and Phoebe both have the same, much lower target number of colonists. Forget the actual range numbers.

_ 12 or 15 or a number lower than 20 i believe, Randy is 50 ...

Euzio

Cass definitely.

She starts out slow and steady but by the late stage, it can get pretty ridiculous what she throws at you. She takes escalation to a new level. Randy is randy, and hence, the escalating effect isn't really felt all that much. Though an unlucky series of events can absolutely cripple you, it doesn't happen all that often... maybe...

vampiresoap

Which one is better or less boring? ;) And why.